What's new

Scents that "grow on you"

Have you ever bought a soap with a scent that initially was either unpleasant or just not to your liking, but over time found yourself really enjoying the scent? That has happened to me twice recently, both times with Stirling soaps. First was Stirling Barbershop. At first I found the vanilla scent overpowering, and I'm generally not a big fan of vanilla scents anyway. After a week or two, I started to look forward to opening it up or just walking into the bathroom if I had used it in the morning and left it open to dry. Recently I've had a very similar reaction to Stirling Satsuma. At first it just seemed overwhelmingly sweet, but now I'm really enjoying it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Which soaps?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Italian almond soaps in general, and Cella in particular. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the scent was put into these soaps to cover some really rotten stink resulting from the saponification process. I wouldn't say it grew on me so that I now love it; rather that I got accustomed to it and now I am largely indifferent to it. I use it all the time.

Chiseled Face Sherlock was the biggest one for me. Many years ago I bought a sample of it, and man it just smelled like dirt to me, well more like fresh potting soil. I left that sample sitting for at least a year, and while cleaning up my den, I found it and took another whiff. I still smell the soil, but there is so much more going on there, that now it's one of my favorites. I love the aftershave even more, and also ended up buying the EdT.

Chiseled Face Sherlock was the biggest one for me. Many years ago I bought a sample of it, and man it just smelled like dirt to me, well more like fresh potting soil. I left that sample sitting for at least a year, and while cleaning up my den, I found it and took another whiff. I still smell the soil, but there is so much more going on there, that now it's one of my favorites. I love the aftershave even more, and also ended up buying the EdT.
That’s funny as I felt the exact same way with Chiseled Face‘s Summer Storm. It smelled like wet dirt initially and it has really grown on me!

Chiseled face Midnight Stag. I bought it as a gag for myself, because of the description "UUU manly, gasoline, leather etc.", just sounded funny. I read somewhere here that the soap itself, before lathering it, just smelled like burned plastic. ON THE NOSE!!! So strong... But I lathered it and it smelled different. I've used it a couple of times, each time I like it more and more and actually want to use it more often. I think it might become one of my favorites, but boy is it not a smell for everyone!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have no real sense of smell. Probably why I love Arko so much. I've had aftershave lotion that had to grow on me.

Stirling Barbershop. Opened a jar in the store and remember saying to myself, out loud, "Yuck, that's awful. Can't believe anyone would pay money for that."

Revisited the scent quite some time later... and now, it's gotta be in my top 3 favorite scents ever.

Now I've got EDT, aftershave splash & balm, body lotion, shave soap, and bath soap, all in Stirling Barbershop.

Definitely B&M Lavanille. At first I didn't hate it, but I thought it was really weird and I didn't like it. After the first 2-3 shaves I was a bit more positive. After a while I started to really like it.

Top Bottom