What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I found an egg timer this weekend on a layer over on the Central Texas Train railway in Burnette, Texas. A good old school egg timer is hard to find especially one that works....ding!!!
20200802_105713.jpg

Might be a bit premature but I apparently won the monthly lottery and will be purchasing a Blu Skillet pan. I really like the two I have already and am looking forward to getting another. I will post a pic when it arrives (a couple months)

Reactions: Jim

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Broil king keg 5000. My first non gas cooker
Gas is great when you’re in a hurry or don’t want a lot of fuss, but it’s hard to beat wood and charcoal. Did you pick up a charcoal chimney? It makes starting a fire much easier.

Gas is great when you’re in a hurry or don’t want a lot of fuss, but it’s hard to beat wood and charcoal. Did you pick up a charcoal chimney? It makes starting a fire much easier.
Not yet, the guy tossed in some starters for me I have the grab a chimney tomorrow

Picked up a dedicated electric smoker last night after 3 successful attempts on my propane grill. This should help with temp stability and make my results more consistent.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Picked up a dedicated electric smoker last night after 3 successful attempts on my propane grill. This should help with temp stability and make my results more consistent.

May you have many great cooks with that!

I want to warn you about something peculiar to electric smokers, though. You aren't going to get much of a smoke ring, if any at all. You'll get plenty of smoke flavor and aroma and (brown) color, but very little or no smoke ring. If that doesn't matter to you (and it really shouldn't), then rock on.

Also, I've been hearing a lot of folks complain about their Masterbuilt cookers. I expect it's a matter of a small but vocal minority, but I figured I ought to pass it along.

May you have many great cooks with that!

I want to warn you about something peculiar to electric smokers, though. You aren't going to get much of a smoke ring, if any at all. You'll get plenty of smoke flavor and aroma and (brown) color, but very little or no smoke ring. If that doesn't matter to you (and it really shouldn't), then rock on.

Also, I've been hearing a lot of folks complain about their Masterbuilt cookers. I expect it's a matter of a small but vocal minority, but I figured I ought to pass it along.

I’m aware of the lack of smoke ring since my brother in law had one before his pellet smoker.

Read up on the reviews as well but thinking you are correct about the vocal minority. Planning to try it out sometime this week and hoping for at least a good of results as I was getting with my pellet tube and grill.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I’m aware of the lack of smoke ring since my brother in law had one before his pellet smoker.

Read up on the reviews as well but thinking you are correct about the vocal minority. Planning to try it out sometime this week and hoping for at least a good of results as I was getting with my pellet tube and grill.

It sounds like you're all set, then. Happy cooking!

Finally got around to picking up a Chinese chef's knife/vegetable cleaver. Got the Shibazi F208-1 from Amazon. I've used it a few times now and it works great, handles easily. Found out real quick it works best on a wood cutting board instead of plastic.
Pulling out my big Boos board isn't always convenient for small/quick tasks, so I picked up a smaller round cutting board (cut as a single slice off the log) at a local Asian grocery store this weekend.

Top Bottom