What's new

Micromatic Monday

Razor: GEM Junior Bakelite baton handle
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (2)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire!

This morning's shave on a day and a half of stubble. Easy BBS with WTG/XTG/ATG passes - no harshness, burning, or tugging. The Stirling Texas on Fire is a great soap - not too watery and not too thick, providing good slickness and excellent cushioning, which is just what I needed today on my sunburned face. Texas on Fire has a fresh woodsy scent of cedars or pines, with an undertone of smoky mesquite; it's not overpowering and not as strong as a new puck of Tabac (which I also like).

I had planned to try the GEM Micromatic Open Comb today, but decided against it, given the sunburn.

One random note: earlier (over a month ago), I had posted photos of this new-to-me GEM Junior with tarnish spots on the gold color razor head, which I thought were due to soaking in isopropyl alcohol. Well, I am happy to report that these have vanished and have been replaced with minor tarnish spots where water drops have evaporated. This tells me that they are temporary and are probably caused by my water - no big deal.

Another random note: we'll be in the eye of the tropical storm in 12 hours or so, so I might be radio silent for awhile.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200803
20200803_173921~2.jpg

Razor (XTG/ATG x 2): GEM Featherweight Deluxe :001_wub:
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (6)

Razor (WTG): Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (5)

Pre-shave: Bowman Brothers Cognac and Cyprus
Brush: Ever-Ready 200 (26mm "Manchurian Finest" Knot)
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: WCS Fougère
Cologne: Classic Match Eau De Toilette Spray (Clone Of Drakkar Noir)

WTG, XTG/ATG & XTG/ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Love the Featherweight Deluxe. So comfortable and consistent. :)

Excellent shave! :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just bought a Gem clog pruf hoping it would do the same thing. It hasn't arrived yet. That is milder so will that one work?
It is a little milder and smoother than the MMOC and you will enjoy the Micromatic Clog Pruf a little more and if your technique is on you will enjoy it a lot more IMO.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

This picture garph might help a little, these are my thought's how they shaved & felt like on my face after 7 + days of continuous shaving.
Gem Razor Models - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razor-models.554376/ This might help for additional information.

It is a little milder and smoother than the MMOC and you will enjoy the Micromatic Clog Pruf a little more and if your technique is on you will enjoy it a lot more IMO.
View attachment 1135009
This picture garph might help a little, these are my thought's how they shaved & felt like on my face after 7 + days of continuous shaving.
Gem Razor Models - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razor-models.554376/ This might help for additional information.
Looks like I may have bought the wrong razor for going milder than the MMOC I already have. I guess I will see. Thanks for the chart. It was very helpful.

Looks like I may have bought the wrong razor for going milder than the MMOC I already have. I guess I will see. Thanks for the chart. It was very helpful.

@Ron R. Beat me to the answer. The Clog Proof is still an excellent razor, it may be a Hair milder than the Open Comb but not much. Some people don't like OC razors at all so the Clog proof would be a good option for them. Personally I would have a very hard time picking between the 2.
The Featherweight and Push Button are a good way to go if you want a milder razor. When I first got into gems I did not like the looks of either but now I really like both of them. The handles are very different from each other and I really like both of them for different reasons. Good prices can be found on both of them. We don't get into actual prices in the open forums but if you want help finding a good deal on one feel free to PM me.
Also there are 2 generations of Featherweight. I have both and enjoy them but prefer the Gen. 1.

Here is a recent comparison I did of the 2 featherweights.
I was thinking of using the Gem Featherweight today. Then the topic of the 1st and 2nd Gen came up so I used both in a 2 pass comparison sharing a 6th use Gem SS PTFE. Then the winner finished up a touch up pass.

The Sterling soaps Almost Heaven lathered very well with my custom SHD 2 Band badger brush.

The 1st Gen FW DELUXE took the right side. The shave was mild and smooth feeling while still having good efficiency.
The 2nd Gen FW handled the left side. This razor was slightly more aggressive/harsh feeling while strangely somehow seeming simultaneously slightly less effective.
At the end of the two pass shave the 1st Gen was winning with a more comfortable closer shave.
The 3rd pass went to the 1st gen for a light touch up.

Aqua Velva 5in1 finished things off for a very enjoyable shave experience.

I said it before and I'll say it again if I only had one featherweight it would definitely be the first Gen Deluxe. However I still enjoy having both 1st and 2nd Gen razors.

1st Gen Deluxe on left 2nd on right.
You can see slight differences on the inside of the top cap. The blade tray looks the same to me.
View attachment 1131410

1st Gen Deluxe on Left 2nd Gen on right.
Again small differences noticeable on top caps.
The thumb tab is most notable to me. I prefer the feel of the 1st Gen thumb tab.
View attachment 1131411

View attachment 1131412

@Ron R. Beat me to the answer. The Clog Proof is still an excellent razor, it may be a Hair milder than the Open Comb but not much. Some people don't like OC razors at all so the Clog proof would be a good option for them. Personally I would have a very hard time picking between the 2.
The Featherweight and Push Button are a good way to go if you want a milder razor. When I first got into gems I did not like the looks of either but now I really like both of them. The handles are very different from each other and I really like both of them for different reasons. Good prices can be found on both of them. We don't get into actual prices in the open forums but if you want help finding a good deal on one feel free to PM me.
Also there are 2 generations of Featherweight. I have both and enjoy them but prefer the Gen. 1.

Here is a recent comparison I did of the 2 featherweights.
The 2nd gen head looks very similar to the G Bar head which, although mild, does not give me as close a shave as the 1912, GEM Junior, and MM Bullet Tip.

There is one in most whiskey bottles and they even have handles!
I cannot disagree.

I was just laughing this off, but now I have retired my wine cork in favor of a Connemara stopper that was clearly designed for blade corking.

Nice wide handle, sits upright, convex top raises the textured grip for easy lifting. It's great when all the elements of a good design work together:
F153E29E-5BD5-4D1E-BF0C-90D4647694EC.jpeg

The 2nd gen head looks very similar to the G Bar head which, although mild, does not give me as close a shave as the 1912, GEM Junior, and MM Bullet Tip.

I agree on the lower efficiency of the G Bar, but the more that I use it, the better shaves I get from it.

The G Bar, Featherweight, and Contour get a little lost in the shade of my Micromatics and the forest of earlier ASR razors I have acquired. These three deserve more sunlight.

Judging by the the selection of SE and DE razors on offer at vintage stores, the Featherweight, in particular, was a very popular razor. I think it has the best handle design of the three.

I agree on the lower efficiency of the G Bar, but the more that I use it, the better shaves I get from it.

The G Bar, Featherweight, and Contour get a little lost in the shade of my Micromatics and the forest of earlier ASR razors I have acquired. These three deserve more sunlight.

Judging by the the selection of SE and DE razors on offer at vintage stores, the Featherweight, in particular, was a very popular razor. I think it has the best handle design of the three.
Thanks - I am considering a Featherweight v1...

I would gladly pay for shipping if you have extras sitting around.

PM me an address. Maybe my wife will buy me another bottle.

Definitely on topic... @Flintstone65 , don't ban me, I just got home to a decent net connection. I drank it while shaving with my Shovelhead.

Hey, Connemara, what a weird tipple. It is an "Irish" whiskey, distilled in a failed (and maybe bought cheap with government help?) modern column distillery using strongly peated malt imported from Islay. It's the best way to drink some Irish whiskey and a decent smoky Scotch AT THE SAME TIME!

Top Bottom