What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

A little past curfew, but this was today's shave.
PXL_20200801_222458032-01.jpeg

Joseph Rodgers, Celebrated India Steel
Arko (for the first day of Arko August)
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Old Spice Classic

What is this in the background ?View attachment 1133800e
It's an exact replica of a Swedish bronze age straight razor made around 1250 BC, which means just after the downfall of the Minoan culture at Crete but about the same time as Egypt fought the Hittites and Babylonians for the role as mightiest nation in the known world. It would be another 750 years until the first people settled in a place that later was to become known as Rome.

The original can be seen at the National Museum of Swedish History in Stockholm. The tang is made in the shape of a moose head.

Since I've got the question before: No I'm not going to hone it and try shave with it. These replicas were only made in a very limited edition many years ago. Being very interested in both history and straight razors I wouldn't do anything that might damage this razor.:001_smile

20200802_153921.jpg

It's an exact replica of a Swedish bronze age straight razor made around 1250 BC, which means just after the downfall of the Minoan culture at Crete but about the same time as Egypt fought the Hittites and Babylonians for the role as mightiest nation in the known world. It would be another 750 years until the first people settled in a place that later was to become known as Rome.

The original can be seen at the National Museum of Swedish History in Stockholm. The tang is made in the shape of a moose head.

Since I've got the question before: No I'm not going to hone it and try shave with it. These replicas were only made in a very limited edition many years ago. Being very interested in both history and straight razors I wouldn't do anything that might damage this razor.:001_smile

View attachment 1133847

I'd love to try a shave with a period-correct prepared copy of one.

View attachment 1133847

that is all kinds of awesomeness!!!!

camo

This RigaRazor arrived yesterday. I've been trying for two days to get a photo to do this work of art justice... this was the closest I could come.
I was a bit surprised at the high degree of craftsmanship on this blade. I've seen Jamie's Riga's for years, but when another friend said how great they were, I got the itch. The bevels are small, and completely even along the length, and from side to side.. very impressive!
I'm fairly traditional, so when this blade showed up on Riga's website, I jumped immediately..
Will shave the Riga this afternoon...
More to come...

proxy.php

8-2-2020

RigaRazor 7/8 scaled in Buffalo Horn
Scrupleworks Veggie Tanned Horse .. 40 laps on leather
D.R. Harris Arlington Shave Soap
Shavemac 22mm 2-Band
Bloc Osma
Thayer's Witch Hazel .. Rose
Ice Blue
Aqua Velva Aftershave Splash

Maiden voyage for the Riga. I knew it was killer sharp. I deleted one pass and still had pretty good sting from the alum. One of the closest shaves ever, though... I just need to dial it in for my face. The razor itself shaves effortlessly, and I'm very happy with it!
Arlington is a very nice soap, and the little Shavemac does a great job with it.
AV is a cool, summer favorite!

proxy.php

The biggest lie that I tell myself. "I don't need to write this down, I'll remember".

This and "I will be able to tell by looking at it with magnification"
I believe it had a Welsh slate edge (from viewing) Tried my Coti and shaved with it and it was just as good if not smoother - both excellent edges.
Its in the book now!
Most excel with specific stones. Its why I started keeping track or meant to;)

Top Bottom