What's new

Gillette Adjustable vs Non-adjustable

You are welcome.
How many different blades are you using? You can also change the shaving result by experimenting with different blades. You can buy a bunch of single blades of your choice at tryablade.com or www.razorbladesclub.com/.

You are welcome.
How many different blades are you using? You can also change the shaving result by experimenting with different blades. You can buy a bunch of single blades of your choice at tryablade.com or www.razorbladesclub.com/.
Funny you should ask, I just received my package of 7 different brands (2 blades each) from tryablade.com today. I'm planning on starting a test in the next couple of weeks. I was planning on doing the test in my 1957 SS flare tip. But I think I'll still look for a slim adjustable. I wanted one when I started shaving as a 16 year old back in 1970, but being the youngest of five boys I got the hand-me-downs. I'm going get one if it's the last thing I do😉

Hello,

I have a practical question about vintage Gillette adjustable razors. As I understand it, Gillette developed the adjustable razor as a way of combining the three shave qualities of their black tip, red tip and blue tip razors into one razor. If this is incorrect, or oversimplified please let me know. If it is true, did the adjustable razors from the late 1950's to mid 1960's actually accomplish this task? Does a fat boy or slim adjustable really shave like a blue tip or red tip with just a twist of that dial?

I've never shaved with an adjustable, but I do have a 1957 Superspeed and an earlier black tip. I don't use the black tip because it's just too aggressive for me. The Superspeed is better, but it can be a touch dicey for me, also. If the adjustable Gillettes actually work I may be in the market for one.

One more question totally unrelated, how does the late 1940's to early 1950's Gillette President compare shave wise? Are they considered middle of the road as far as their aggressiveness goes?

Thank you
Cliff
I don't know that they were meant to shave like the various Super Speeds so much as they were meant to be 1 razor that could suit various different people who want/need a razor with different levels of aggression.
To me, a Fatboy or Super Adjustable even on the highest setting doesn't shave like a Red Tip because the Red is a fairly heavy razor.

If you wanted to give a razor as a gift, an adjustable would have been the perfect choice, not knowing the recipient's preferences.

The adjustables are the only Gillettes that give me a consistently bbs shave, i just set 'em on the last setting and go.

I don't know that they were meant to shave like the various Super Speeds so much as they were meant to be 1 razor that could suit various different people who want/need a razor with different levels of aggression.
To me, a Fatboy or Super Adjustable even on the highest setting doesn't shave like a Red Tip because the Red is a fairly heavy razor.
So, some tradeoff's, I assume? This makes sense, and it's why I was asking the question in the first place. I wondered if it was really true that one adjustable razor could truly replace three different razors and do the same job in the same way.

If the adjustable Gillettes actually work I may be in the market for one.

Like my fatboy, I found a black beauty later & have both now they work about the same.
You don't need a vintage Gillette though.
They work and inside a month you will have found a setting that works with your favorite blades.
I use mostly use Proraso soap & creams. 18 months on, rarely get a nick now unless I rush it.

So, some tradeoff's, I assume? This makes sense, and it's why I was asking the question in the first place. I wondered if it was really true that one adjustable razor could truly replace three different razors and do the same job in the same way.
I would say that the adjustables do the same job but in a different way than the different models of the Super Speed did.
IMO, its more though that it was easier and cheaper for Gillette to make 1 razor that could adjust to suit different people than to make 3 different models of the same razor.
To me, its a lot like adjustable golf clubs. Why make various different lofts when you can make 1 driver that can be adjusted to suit the needs of the user?
IMO, Gillette perfected the DE razor with the Super Speed. Ive got a couple '80 Super Speeds (black handle), as well as an '80 Super Adjustable (black beauty) and I still prefer the Super Speed. They all work and work very well but the adjustable in unnecessary, IMO. Some people really like them though, so you should at least try one. Theyre cheap enough on Ebay that you can buy one, try it for not a lot of money and resell it if you don't like it.
Id go for a Slim Adjustable or Super Adjustable if it were me because Fatboys can get expensive.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Actually the Fatboy at 79 or 80 g is heavier than any of the SS's, including the "Heavy" Red Tip at 65 g. All are considerably more lightweight than the modern SS razors, unless you fork over the dough for Titanium ..

Just as an example, my Wolfman with SS Head on a 3 inch Ti handle comes in at 79 g, the same as my Fatboys. The all SS Timeless goes over 120 g, which is getting up there.

Which blades did you order?
Astra Superior Platinum, BIC Chrome Platinum, Feather New Hi-Stainless, Gillette 7'o'clock Permasharp Stainless, Kai Stainless Steel, Silver Star stainless.
I would say that the adjustables do the same job but in a different way than the different models of the Super Speed did.
IMO, its more though that it was easier and cheaper for Gillette to make 1 razor that could adjust to suit different people than to make 3 different models of the same razor.
To me, its a lot like adjustable golf clubs. Why make various different lofts when you can make 1 driver that can be adjusted to suit the needs of the user?
IMO, Gillette perfected the DE razor with the Super Speed. Ive got a couple '80 Super Speeds (black handle), as well as an '80 Super Adjustable (black beauty) and I still prefer the Super Speed. They all work and work very well but the adjustable in unnecessary, IMO. Some people really like them though, so you should at least try one. Theyre cheap enough on Ebay that you can buy one, try it for not a lot of money and resell it if you don't like it.
Id go for a Slim Adjustable or Super Adjustable if it were me because Fatboys can get expensive.
Makes sense to me, and yes the fatboy won't be in my radar just yet unless I find that I love adjustable. Thank you.

Actually the Fatboy at 79 or 80 g is heavier than any of the SS's, including the "Heavy" Red Tip at 65 g. All are considerably more lightweight than the modern SS razors, unless you fork over the dough for Titanium ..

Just as an example, my Wolfman with SS Head on a 3 inch Ti handle comes in at 79 g, the same as my Fatboys. The all SS Timeless goes over 120 g, which is getting up there.
Thank you.

Astra Superior Platinum, BIC Chrome Platinum, Feather New Hi-Stainless, Gillette 7'o'clock Permasharp Stainless, Kai Stainless Steel, Silver Star stainless.

Makes sense to me, and yes the fatboy won't be in my radar just yet unless I find that I love adjustable. Thank you.

Have you tried: GSB, Personna Super (Blue), Nacet, Voskod, Rubie, Personna Red, Super Max, Blue Bird, Sputnik, Cystal.

If not PM me your address and I will send you a couple of each of the above that you have not tried.

Have you tried: GSB, Personna Super (Blue), Nacet, Voskod, Rubie, Personna Red, Super Max, Blue Bird, Sputnik, Cystal.

If not PM me your address and I will send you a couple of each of the above that you have not tried.
No, I haven't tried any of those blades. The only blade I've used since I started shaving with a safety razor again is the Feather blades. This is very nice of you to offer. I'll pm my addy to you. Thanks!

Before you begin trying out all your sample blades, consider settling on a single soap for use with all of them to optimize your results. Soap can make or break the performance of a blade. A soap with residual slickness ( shave a pass, then rewet the area just shaved - is it slippery or not?) Many types of soaps & creams don't have that residual slickness that can have a positive effect on a shaves' smoothness or closeness.) For examples of good residual slickness, look at: Williams puck lathered with distilled water, TOBS, Stirling Soaps' Tallow varieties, Shannon's Soaps, or even (the slickest) equal parts of Cremo + Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin. Of course, there are many more slick soaps, but these are the ones I have the mose experience with and, listing too many more just complicates the task of deciding on the best one to use for Your test.

So, if your choice of soap/cream slickness feels like any of these, it will give you the best basis for comparisons between your blade samples.

Last edited:

The Slim (71g) also weighs more than the red tip (65g)

Top Bottom