What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

SE SOTD, Fri, July 31st 2020

Razor: Star bar #4 model lather catcher (Kampfee brothers NY)- Mfg 1920- Excellent lather catcher, great audio, good daily driver!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) excellent blade, :001_wub:
Soap: Razorock Lavender - one of my favorites. great scent and lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm- great inexpensive brush that I have been using for almost 4 years, marvelous!
Preshave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Star bar lather catcher.
SE SOTD,Fri, July 31st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

the rare #4 !!!!!!

camo

Razor: Ever Ready 1912 (Made in England)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (8)
Brush: Henri et Victoria: Superfine Two-Band Badger 22mm
Lather: Mikes Natural Soaps: Wild Honeysuckle
Aftershave: PAA: Son of Honeysuckle
9C7B8BED-4375-4ACB-91C2-A2B9826D9731.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.7/10
One Darn Fine Smelling Shave!
Usually when you are trying to describe your shave you don’t begin with the scent, but in this case....mmmmmm. Mikes Wild Honeysuckle soap is delicious, and strong. It fills the room and your nostrils for the entire shave. Slap on some PAA Son of Honeysuckle cologne afterwards and you become the most delicious thing to walk into the local coffee shop.
I did add a little too much water to the lather, but it really didn’t matter a whitt. I used the Ever Ready 1912 razor that I won on eBay with a $1 bid. Had a typical 1912 shave using my GEM (Personna) blade for its 8th use. It‘s still delivering care free shaves. I’ve been throwing the blade in my ultrasonic cleaner after each shave. I don’t know if it makes any difference, but it’s just sitting there idle...I might as well use it.

It’s a beautiful day out, and I smell great. What more could I ask for?
Stay safe everyone.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Fatip Friday Shave 20200731
20200731_071312~2.jpg

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale :001_wub:
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
Brush: RazoRock 24 Barrel Silvertip
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: @OkieStubble Bootlegger's El Dorado

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Fatip Lo Storto Originale is definitely one of my favorite razors. Another World Class shave! :)

My first razor was a Wilkinson just like this one. I think these came out in 1970 so I must have picked mine up around then. I have read that these are the first cartridge razors on the market. The head is very much like that of an injector and there is only a single quality blade. Upon moving to Hawaii a few years later, I couldn't find replacement cartridges so I bought a Schick injector. I decided to buy this particular razor just to take a short trip down memory lane. It shaves and sounds like an injector!

Razor: Wilkinson Bonded Razor
Blade: Wilkinson Bonded Single Edge Catridge
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10!
20200730_083653.jpg

SOTD - 7/30/20 - One Day Late
Razor:
Razorock Hawk V3
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild (2)
Brush: PAA The Starcraft
Lather: Captains Choice Bay Rum
Pre shave: NA
Aftershave: Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve
Additional Care: Razorock Alumn / Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid/Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.0/10 - DFS+++

Shave73020.jpg

I decided to try the Hawk V3 again today but switched to a KAI Captain Titan Mild to compare to the Proline P-30 I used on my previous shave. I must say this was a much better shave. Even though my chin and neck were still a bit irritated the shave was smooth throughout. I do believe the soap had somethig to do with that. Got a great, cushiony lather with amazing slickness and post shave feel.
3 pass shave with a little touch up. No nicks, weepers or irritation.

Razor: ATT SE2
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
AS: Stirling Orange Chill
Moisturizer: CeraVe

Not the best of shaves today. My battle with the open comb goes on. 3 weepers around the neck area. It was actually a very close shave overall but off-late I have been struggling around the neck area in my W->E pass which is actually ATG for me there. And if I dont go ATG there the little whiskers stick out pretty much right after the shave. Its a lose-lose.

Birthday (Friday) shave

Razor: Battle Brothers MKII
Blade: Battle Brothers
Brush: Battle Brothers synthetic
Soap: Battle Brothers Rum Runner
Aftershave: PAA Boomtown Bay Rum
Bowl: Dad's Old Spice mug

So, my daughter bought me the Battle Brothers MKII Captain's Kit for me last month as an early birthday present, and I told her I'd wait to use it on my birthday. So, today was the big day, so here is how it went:

Razor: the MKII is aircraft grade aluminum, and VERY light. It's a pretty aggressive compared to anything I have used so far, and has a LOT of blade feel.
Blades: BB blades. They are sharp, no doubt.
Soap: Glycerine based. Needed a lot of water to stay slick. Kinda burned, but I had the same issue with my Dr. Jon's first time I used it, so I'll try it again. Very heavy on the spice notes, but that went away with the heavy leather and gunsmoke notes of the PPA AS.
Aftershave: typical PAA quality

Well, this shave was certainly different than most of my others lately. Gave myself 3 nicks, and had to use my styptic pen on them.
This will be a razor that I will have to take more time with to get comfortable using to figure out the best angle of the razor to my face. It's certainly a close shave. Have a bit of post shave irritation on my cheeks. Made too many passes trying to clean up everything.

I'm going to rate this shave a 6.5, because of the nicks. But I really hope that with practice, this will get up into the 8's and 9's in the future. I will be trying the blades with other razors to get a better feel for how well the blades do with a less aggressive razor. I think they will do well.

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

Friday Afternoon SOTD
  • Pre: Hot water face rinse, TOBS Jermyn St. Pre-Shave Gel
  • Razor: Merkur 34G
  • Blade: Astra SP (2)
  • Brush: Suavecito Synthetic 20mm
  • Shaving Cream: TOBS Tobacco Leaf
  • Bowl: Captain’s Choice Gunmetal
  • Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
  • Score: 9.5/10 DFS
    • WTG, XTG, ATG w/ touch ups
    • One weeper that my mustache was covering 😂
    • No *new* irritation. Still some left over from a few days ago
So I wasn’t going to shave today... but I received a few new creams/soaps today and got impatient. I identified the neck area under my chin as being a problem area and decided to stop shaving ATG/XTG there. This resulted in a MUCH more enjoyable shave.

I would say it’s pretty close to a BBS shave but because I avoided attacking that area like I normally do, I’d say it was a DFS and I’m not complaining about it.

449B74C2-1DDC-4865-8BEF-EC3AA56E389C.jpeg
F7F795DB-9063-44CF-84E4-546A2A9FCB3A.jpeg

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Shower including hair conditioner on whiskers​
Two Pass Shave: WTG then AGT / XTG​
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollowed SR​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger 24mm​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 8.3/10 No nicks! No irritation!
  • Did not get as close of a shave as I was hoping
  • For how much attention I gave my upper lip and chin, did not get it very well
  • Nice comfortable shave

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Friday shave

Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Col. Conk pure bristle
Soap: Tabac
49EB98BE-3AF1-45D6-9437-C742D1B9E92E.jpeg

A serious shave today. Great razor for my needs. Stellar soap provides ample cushion and slickness. After shave topped it all off,scents were very complimentary. My resurrected little brush is a work horse.
9/10

Razor: GEM Junior bakelite baton handle
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (6)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red container
Rating: 10

Early afternoon shave on two days of beard growth. First time using the GEM Junior, with great BBS results after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. The razor head looks and feels like the standard GEM 1912 head, so there was no learning curve for me vs. a 1912. The thick bakelite handle is easy to grip but felt a little slippery when wet.

I flipped over the blade today for shave #6, which made it feel almost like new. No post-shave irritation and no nicks or cuts, but still a lot of blade feel just like with the 1912.

For how much attention I gave my upper lip and chin, did not get it very well
This has also usually been my experience with SRs, particularly the upper lip: it is just too hard for me to fit that SR blade under my nose at the right angle to get a close shave. I can deal a little better with the chin, but I end up making ridiculous faces to do it. If I sported a mustache and goatee, I would gladly use a SR to shave every day, but since I am clean-shaven, I only use the SR out of boredom or when I haven't shaved for a week.

As I think about the shave today I believe this combo will be retired for a while. I found some really great shaves but to get a smooth face today I had to really buff the clean up pass. I stopped counting the days on the blade and I don't think it matters. More then 5 and I am ok with it. I did get to a pretty smooth shave but cause minor irritation that can only be felt and not seen. Maybe on a normal day this isn't a big deal but the last 2 shave for sure we're really good.

I mixed some summer drink scents today as we leave for the lake after work today. This just seemed like some scents that played to my next day or two.

7.4/10

KM

View attachment 1132974
I was going to try out my new-to-me MMOC on Micromatic Monday, but you have me second guessing that decision...

It is a very fine razor. User error and a lack of respect was my issue. My last few shaves have been above average. The efficiency of this razor is amazing and as long as you double check yourself for angle and pressure you will find a great shave.

By all means use the razor. I will use it again too but with 20 some razors they all get rotated in and out.

KM

I was going to try out my new-to-me MMOC on Micromatic Monday, but you have me second guessing that decision...

C9C37A59-F55B-4A83-BCA7-1EB31E8BB38E.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Vector Machined Finish
Brush: Thäter 4125/1
Soap: Zingari Man Explorer
Bowl: Salt and Pepper Matt Ceramic
AS: Thayers WH / Nivea Sensitive

8/10

Took the Vector out for a spin today. This is a really great razor. Copped one small patch of irritation therefore a low score (user error).

Second run with Zingari Man. A good soap but you need to load a ton of product to get any lather. It doesn’t seem to fluff up like other soaps do. It’s a very different beast from anything else I’ve tried.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
View attachment 1133225

Razor: Blackland Vector Machined Finish
Brush: Thäter 4125/1
Soap: Zingari Man Explorer
Bowl: Salt and Pepper Matt Ceramic
AS: Thayers WH / Nivea Sensitive

8/10

Took the Vector out for a spin today. This is a really great razor. Copped one small patch of irritation therefore a low score (user error).

Second run with Zingari Man. A good soap but you need to load a ton of product to get any lather. It doesn’t seem to fluff up like other soaps do. It’s a very different beast from anything else I’ve tried.

Zingari Man Sego base soaps are thirsty. Add water for volume.

My Wednesday Morning Shave
...​
Actually my Friday morning shave. Copy/pasta error. LOL

This has also usually been my experience with SRs, particularly the upper lip: it is just too hard for me to fit that SR blade under my nose at the right angle to get a close shave. I can deal a little better with the chin, but I end up making ridiculous faces to do it. If I sported a mustache and goatee, I would gladly use a SR to shave every day, but since I am clean-shaven, I only use the SR out of boredom or when I haven't shaved for a week.

Agreed! I can usually do better though when paying extra attention. I am on an SR learning curve, so will be better when the cold months roll around and I do grow a mustache and goatee...

Top Bottom