What's new

Ageing without hoarding

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I keep four tubs of OTC burley blends open and that is about all I smoke any more. The only thing I intentionally cellar is Victoria but keep a bit in a pouch to dry and smoke occasionally. My days of experimentation are pretty much over. I don’t like anything bold any longer. I have four or five tinned tobaccos in jars but don’t smoke them. Interesting tobaccos don’t seem to interest me now. I get more smoking pleasure from simple time tested OTC’s it seems. Perhaps it isn’t so much what you smoke as it is how you smoke it My eating has taken the same course as well. You mentioned shave soap and I’m the same. I have two simple creams, Palmolive and Kapo. When I finish one, I go to the other. Retirement and simplicity go hand in hand.
You're officially a full blown Codger Steve...embrace it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
🤣 Yeah, and he keeps doing that "let you know how old he is" thing too :lol:

Just kidding, buddy. You've earned the right to sit back in comfort while everyone else squabbles over limited releases, and wrestles with their latest fear of missing out :D
You implied I was old enough to be your grandfather. Now that I think about it, I was in England for a few days in 1970 so I actually may be 😂

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Talking of codger blends, Ogdens Original a.k.a Walnut was today's bowl. Only partially smoked so far. A good no frills option, but quite robust. Not something I'd want a full bowl of every time. A good evening slow smoke, of possibly a busy smoke for dipping in and out of, providing it still tastes well on relights.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Talking of codger blends, Ogdens Original a.k.a Walnut was today's bowl. Only partially smoked so far. A good no frills option, but quite robust. Not something I'd want a full bowl of every time. A good evening slow smoke, of possibly a busy smoke for dipping in and out of, providing it still tastes well on relights.
Never made it to the Midlands anyway. I didn’t know Walnut was remade there. Didn’t show up in the reviews. Looks like Ogdens Mixture is well liked. Having a bowl of Holiday Mixture right now. Seems to have a bit of Cavendish in it but it is fortunately well in the background. Got a good packet of snuffs in the mail today. Shipping was quick so I may get one more order in. I’m pretty satisfied with my pipe tobacco I’ve settled on but the snuff is going to take some experimenting yet. Got Thor’s Hammer. Which is your favorite Viking. I’m depending on you Al. 😊

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Never made it to the Midlands anyway. I didn’t know Walnut was remade there. Didn’t show up in the reviews. Looks like Ogdens Mixture is well liked. Having a bowl of Holiday Mixture right now. Seems to have a bit of Cavendish in it but it is fortunately well in the background. Got a good packet of snuffs in the mail today. Shipping was quick so I may get one more order in. I’m pretty satisfied with my pipe tobacco I’ve settled on but the snuff is going to take some experimenting yet. Got Thor’s Hammer. Which is your favorite Viking. I’m depending on you Al. 😊

🤣 Well, I'm going to disappoint you here buddy, because all my Viking snuffs were made by Sam Gawith before they remerged with Gawith Hoggarth. Since remerging, the Gawiths don't mill their own flour, and I don't know if mysmokingshop (Viking is their brand) is still contracting them from there or not.

So My favourite Vikings are Dark (a little Firedance or Celtic Talisman mixed in is nice too), Thors Hammer with a little fruity snuff mixed in, and Blonde with a bit of Royal George, Jockey Club, or one of the F&T snuffs mixed in. But... everything's changed, and I haven't tried any of the newer product.

Avoid peach. It smells like baby sick.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
🤣 Well, I'm going to disappoint you here buddy, because all my Viking snuffs were made by Sam Gawith before they remerged with Gawith Hoggarth. Since remerging, the Gawiths don't mill their own flour, and I don't know if mysmokingshop (Viking is their brand) is still contracting them from there or not.

So My favourite Vikings are Dark (a little Firedance or Celtic Talisman mixed in is nice too), Thors Hammer with a little fruity snuff mixed in, and Blonde with a bit of Royal George, Jockey Club, or one of the F&T snuffs mixed in. But... everything's changed, and I haven't tried any of the newer product.

I’m still a bit of a newbie at this so I will save the mixing for later. I like both the Gawiths - Celtic Talisman and Golden Glow. The Spanish Gem is relly nice and I enjoy the natural flavor of Thor’s Hammer a lot. I’ll likely get deeper into these before I order more. McCrystal’s Original is a favorite. I believe it is the first snuff I had back in 1969. Mini Markets sold snuff back then but I haven’t seen it anywhere since. I don’t care American snuffs at all. I suppose White Elephant would be good to mix for a bigger nic hit as it is not flavored.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’m still a bit of a newbie at this so I will save the mixing for later. I like both the Gawiths - Celtic Talisman and Golden Glow. The Spanish Gem is relly nice and I enjoy the natural flavor of Thor’s Hammer a lot. I’ll likely get deeper into these before I order more. McCrystal’s Original is a favorite. I believe it is the first snuff I had back in 1969. Mini Markets sold snuff back then but I haven’t seen it anywhere since. I don’t care American snuffs at all. I suppose White Elephant would be good to mix for a bigger nic hit as it is not flavored.

If you like the Spanish Gem, you might like their Ambrosia. Same topping, coarser grind, and added Rustica for a higher nic punch. Good stuff!

White Elephant has part of its potency due to the fine grind. This lets it get absorbed FAST! Thors Hammer gives more of a prolongued glow, due to the coarser grind, and slower rate of absorption. I prefer the glow to the hit.

Got an empty tin yet? Put in a bit of the Thors Hammer in, with a bit of the Celtic Talisman. 2 parts Viking, 1 part Celtic. Don't go mad, just mix enough for a few pinches. Close it up, give it a shake occasionally, and try it the day after. Note, those tap boxes have a habit of drying snuff out, so rehydrating overnight might wake the flavour up a bit somewhat.

If the Berwick Brown is a little too floral, leave the lid off for an hour or so. I think it gets a lot better once that bright floral scent fades a bit.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you like the Spanish Gem, you might like their Ambrosia. Same topping, coarser grind, and added Rustica for a higher nic punch. Good stuff!

White Elephant has part of its potency due to the fine grind. This lets it get absorbed FAST! Thors Hammer gives more of a prolongued glow, due to the coarser grind, and slower rate of absorption. I prefer the glow to the hit.

Got an empty tin yet? Put in a bit of the Thors Hammer in, with a bit of the Celtic Talisman. 2 parts Viking, 1 part Celtic. Don't go mad, just mix enough for a few pinches. Close it up, give it a shake occasionally, and try it the day after. Note, those tap boxes have a habit of drying snuff out, so rehydrating overnight might wake the flavour up a bit somewhat.

If the Berwick Brown is a little too floral, leave the lid off for an hour or so. I think it gets a lot better once that bright floral scent fades a bit.
Thanks. I have a small snap lit plastic box that would work well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
With well over 60 blends so far on the incomplete "would buy" list, over three times what I intend to keep in, there's zero need for "depth" of cellaring here. In other words, no need for keeping more than one tin of anything (other than the experiment of smoking three tins of Ye Olde Sign after different periods of time).

Make that over 80 blends on the approved or to try list! That surprised me! Of course, I could be very happy with a much smaller selection, but if any of the tins turn out to not be to my taste, I'm not short of alternatives to buy instead. I wouldn't be surprised if many get discontinued before I get round to them.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

The Thor’s Hammer I got isn’t in the Vaccum sealed Gawith tin so it may be different. It is fresh though. Regarding the White Elephant, it is a bit of a quick trip but the Indian snuffs I’ve had aren’t in the same league as the English and German snuffs. I doubt I will bother with them in future.

Those labels with the death threats are useful, the pictures of cancer growing even more so. What the hell happened to England? Glad you have things sorted Aimless.

I am going to buy quite a few pounds of bulk tobacco today, so I guess I am hoarding. Worried about taxes or availability coming up. The US is becoming a nanny country to rival Europe and the trend continues.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Those labels with the death threats are useful, the pictures of cancer growing even more so. What the hell happened to England? Glad you have things sorted Aimless.

I am going to buy quite a few pounds of bulk tobacco today, so I guess I am hoarding. Worried about taxes or availability coming up. The US is becoming a nanny country to rival Europe and the trend continues.

The labelling won't dissuade me from my current path, but might have helped dissuade me from 25 years of cigarette smoking earlier in life. Part of me wishes it was in place back then for that very reason, even though I'd rather not look at that imagery today.

My "fully stocked" level of pipe tobacco is 1kg (20x50g tins), although I have between 7 and 8 kilos of nasal snuff, from prior shopaholic tendencies. It's largely that which stops me repeating it with pipe tobacco, so maybe it was worth the money in that respect. If it disappears, so be it. If taxes rise astronomically, so be it. I don't want to make shopping decisions out of fear anymore.

That said, I may wobble in future, I'm only human after all. However, I am already at the point of looking at the tobacco drawer, and feeling guilty of excess, so that's a positive sign as far as I'm concerned. I'm reasonably confident I can maintain moderation, and will take steps to recover should I falter in that. I swear my excess snuff shopping reduced my enjoyment of snuff somewhat (I snuff now, less than 1/4 of what I did prior to amassing the hoard), and don't want to ruin this too.

Top Bottom