What's new

REVIEW: Oleo Soapworks Excursion Soap/AS

Hi everyone,

I thought I would write up a short review on my first experience with Oleo. I was doing some research on what soaps to buy since I was down to a single tub of Cella and sold off some other soaps I wasn't using. I discovered that Oleo makes a soap inspired by my favorite fragrance of all time...La Nuit de L'homme by Yves Saint Laurent. So i searched around and after not really seeing TOO much info on these soaps, I bought it without even thinking twice just out of excitement. And yes, I know Stirling makes Sandpiper which is also inspired by the same fragrance, but I wanted something of a bit higher quality (not to knock Stirling because I have used many of their soaps and think they are the best bang for the buck out there!). But nonetheless, I wanted to try Oleo and WOW was I glad I did so.

I will start out by saying that the soap doesn't really smell all that similar to La nuit. It has similarities but if I had been smelling it blind, I would not be able to guess that it was supposed to smell like La Nuit. That isn't to say it smelled bad by any means, it is still a very very pleasant and powdery scent. the scent off the puck is medium, not too strong, but strong enough where you can actually smell it which I liked. Before I begin, I would like to mention I have not tried any soaps in the vein of DG, Wholly Kaw, Grooming Dep., etc... I have used soaps like B&M reserve, stirling, haslingers etc...

Setup: Karve B plate, Astra SP, Oleo excursion soap+aftershave.

Loading: not much to say here, loading was effortless even in my very hard water.

Lather: the lather began building almost immediately but it take a small amount of work to where I wanted it to be. But once it was there, it was a TOP quality lather. Very shiny and lots of peaks. consistency was somewhere in between "yogurty" and whipped cream.

Slickness: personally, I thought the slickness was outstanding. probably the best slickness I've found in a soap thus far, MAYBE tied with B&M reserve but I think I'd still give a SLIGHT edge to Oleo. really impressed here.

Cushion: Was also very high quality. lots of protection and didn't feel like I would have cut myself (hard to do with the Karve B so take this for what it's worth).

Post shave: my face felt nice and hydrated and could have PROBABLY forgone any aftershave but I bought it for the scent alone so I wasn't going to do that :p

Now onto the Aftershave (mentholated version). This is where Oleo really stole my heart. La nuit de l'homme is by far my favorite fragrance of all time. Basically a fan boy. It is a powdery, spicy, warm type of scent while remaining masculine. just awesome stuff and have very fond memories of wearing this fragrance. I'm happy to report that Oleo nailed it with the scent on the AS for Excursion. While it is not identical, it is a very good interpretation with their own little twist. You get that same type of powdery spicy vibe that you get with La nuit with a subtle menthol kick (which I personally prefer when an AS is mentholated). Just really well done overall. will buy for as long as it is produced to pair with my La Nuit EDT.

Overall, I found Oleo Excursion to be an excellent quality soap, have great performance and a great scent!

Mirrors my experience with Oleo (I own 4 tubs total of 3 scents). When I get Oleo lather right, it is indeed the slickest soap in my den and noticeably so. I think the duck fat really helps in that regard as other duck fat soaps I have tried (most recently Murphy and McNeil Claddagh) have given me similar results in terms of slickness.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would write up a short review on my first experience with Oleo. I was doing some research on what soaps to buy since I was down to a single tub of Cella and sold off some other soaps I wasn't using. I discovered that Oleo makes a soap inspired by my favorite fragrance of all time...La Nuit de L'homme by Yves Saint Laurent. So i searched around and after not really seeing TOO much info on these soaps, I bought it without even thinking twice just out of excitement. And yes, I know Stirling makes Sandpiper which is also inspired by the same fragrance, but I wanted something of a bit higher quality (not to knock Stirling because I have used many of their soaps and think they are the best bang for the buck out there!). But nonetheless, I wanted to try Oleo and WOW was I glad I did so.

I will start out by saying that the soap doesn't really smell all that similar to La nuit. It has similarities but if I had been smelling it blind, I would not be able to guess that it was supposed to smell like La Nuit. That isn't to say it smelled bad by any means, it is still a very very pleasant and powdery scent. the scent off the puck is medium, not too strong, but strong enough where you can actually smell it which I liked. Before I begin, I would like to mention I have not tried any soaps in the vein of DG, Wholly Kaw, Grooming Dep., etc... I have used soaps like B&M reserve, stirling, haslingers etc...

Setup: Karve B plate, Astra SP, Oleo excursion soap+aftershave.

Loading: not much to say here, loading was effortless even in my very hard water.

Lather: the lather began building almost immediately but it take a small amount of work to where I wanted it to be. But once it was there, it was a TOP quality lather. Very shiny and lots of peaks. consistency was somewhere in between "yogurty" and whipped cream.

Slickness: personally, I thought the slickness was outstanding. probably the best slickness I've found in a soap thus far, MAYBE tied with B&M reserve but I think I'd still give a SLIGHT edge to Oleo. really impressed here.

Cushion: Was also very high quality. lots of protection and didn't feel like I would have cut myself (hard to do with the Karve B so take this for what it's worth).

Post shave: my face felt nice and hydrated and could have PROBABLY forgone any aftershave but I bought it for the scent alone so I wasn't going to do that :p

Now onto the Aftershave (mentholated version). This is where Oleo really stole my heart. La nuit de l'homme is by far my favorite fragrance of all time. Basically a fan boy. It is a powdery, spicy, warm type of scent while remaining masculine. just awesome stuff and have very fond memories of wearing this fragrance. I'm happy to report that Oleo nailed it with the scent on the AS for Excursion. While it is not identical, it is a very good interpretation with their own little twist. You get that same type of powdery spicy vibe that you get with La nuit with a subtle menthol kick (which I personally prefer when an AS is mentholated). Just really well done overall. will buy for as long as it is produced to pair with my La Nuit EDT.

Overall, I found Oleo Excursion to be an excellent quality soap, have great performance and a great scent!

I have had great experiences with Oleo soaps, including the ones made for West Coast Shaving. To me, they are very underrated. Outstanding review!

Having evaluated a lot of soaps, I consider Oleo Soapworks to be an excellent soap, but not quite elite. As you noted, the slickness is superb, but the residual slickness could be a little better. Also the cushion/protection is not quite as good as hoped, but still excellent. I like them well enough to have seven tubs of soap plus two samples in my den.

anybody try both stirlings version and oleo's to compare? Seems like with oleo you either have to commit to buy a full tub of soap, or 7 samples at a time which would buy a full tub anyways...

anybody try both stirlings version and oleo's to compare? Seems like with oleo you either have to commit to buy a full tub of soap, or 7 samples at a time which would buy a full tub anyways...

Not entirely sure what you are asking (scent vs performance), but in terms of performance, Oleo is significantly better than Stirling in my experience.

ok yeah that helps, but I guess also looking for scent strength comparisons is oleo known for having strong or light scents compared to stirling? I guess if anybody has tried both if they could say which one is more close to la nuit as well.

ok yeah that helps, but I guess also looking for scent strength comparisons is oleo known for having strong or light scents compared to stirling? I guess if anybody has tried both if they could say which one is more close to la nuit as well.

I have sampled at least 6-10 Stirling and Oleo scents each and I'd say scent strength is nearly identical. That said...i don't know that I have sampled the exact soap you are looking for.

Top Bottom