Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sunday, July 26
MMOC
Gem SS(5)
Cremo horsie
1912 Club Cola
the "Veg"

The last time I used this blade was in my Bullet Tip, a single pass ATG shave with the cap mostly flat on my face. It wasn't very comfortable like the previous three shaves shaving steep, but it was a long lasting close shave.

Before putting the Gem SS(4) in my MMOC I did a thumb-pad test and thought of abandoning Mike's @Esox advice and pulled a fresh blade out and tested it too.
Neither one felt as sharp as my GD Mod, so I put it back, stropped the Gem SS(4) on my palm and put it in the MMOC.

The pictures of the 2nd MMOC I just got didn't do it justice. With only a little cleaning in Dawn and a toothbrush scrub, it looks beautiful. The chrome is only lightly scratched on the face, and worn through in a couple spots. There is no corrosion anywhere.
It kept squeaking when I twisted the handle, but after a couple drops of glycerin soaked in, it feels smooth as silk.

Starting over my lips N-S the blade felt more smooth than sharp, but seemed to get most of the stubble easily, the corners of my lips were effortless and I let the razor flow around to under my chin, easily rounding my jawline, no tugging. Not giving me the slightest hint that it wants to bite. 3-4 smooth easy N-S passes on each side of my face, then N-S down my neck to where my hair changes directions.

This brush has no backbone at all and zero scrub, but it is very soft and seems to hold a lot of lather, the second pass needed only more water to give me adequate protection for the ATG pass on my neck.

There seems to be much less resistance shaving ATG with the MMOC compared to the Bullet Tip, the comfort level is much higher also. As I rounded my jawline and started shaving my face S-N I noticed that I could increase the pressure while keeping the angle steep, without losing any comfort.

I used some Hyaluronic Acid, then applied the Witch hazel on my face, then my neck. No tingle, just smooth. I was gonna let my face rest a few minutes, but slapped some "Veg" on my face and the burn was only slight, fading by the time I rubbed it on my neck, the burn only slightly more. A second more liberal dousing occurred, as the shave was just before dinner, with more than 5 hours before going to bed. Nivea balm was slick.......

I gave the MMOC respect, it never gave a hint that it was going to bite or make a wrong move. This razor is not only pretty, it shaves great!!!

When a shave is smooth as silk, comfortable, and close, it is a Damn Comfortable Shave.

Don't expect MMOC Monday this week, there is nothing to shave..........

20200726_205139[1].jpg

The aluminum fitting was a part that I made for Shiley Labratories in 1976 on a manual turret lathe, about 600-800 parts a day. Later on Shiley was acquired by Edwards Scientific. They made replacement heart valves and blood filtering systems. The part in the picture was called a blood connector.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday, July 28
Schick Open to Clean E2
Schick E2
Schick(3/6)
Semogue 620
1912 Club Cola
the Veg

The Semogue has lost it's scritch since I last used it, witch is a good thing. The scrub is nice, the backbone is firm. After the first pass, I did need to re-visit the puck a few times.

I wanted to re-visit my Schick E2's after finally getting my hands on a usable MMOC, and getting a fantastic shave from it.

My Open to Clean E2 was the first injector razor of any kind that I had ever used, and while I got decent shave from it, I don't remember the shaves being comfortable. My other E2 seemed to be more comfortable at the time, but not in the same league as my Piccolo Mk1.

Now that I am thinking of giving one of my E2's away, I decided to give them a side-by-side evaluation.

Starting with the OTC E2 over my lips it felt very mild. As I worked my way around my lips and chin, then shaving the middle of my neck N-S, I noticed the razor would not cut steeply at all. Lifting the handle slightly to engage the blade and using some pressure I could feel the blade almost vibrate in the razor as it effortlessly sliced the stubble away.
Switching to the E2 for the right side of my face I could feel the blade instantly as I pressed the razor steeply to my sideburn and started my downstroke. The blade felt marginally smoother, but the efficiency of this razor was immediately felt as I shaved the right side of my face and neck N-S.
I switched back to the OTC E2 for my left side N-S pass, and used the E2 for the ATG pass on my neck and XTG pass on the right side of my face.

I finished with the OTC E2 shaving the left side of my face XTG, with a clean-up ATG pass on my neck.

After using some HA, I rubbed on the Witch hazel, and it felt nice. The "Veg" was it's invigorating self with only a mild burn. Nivea balm finished up.

My final thoughts on my Schick E2 razors. The Open to Clean E2 feels slightly more comfortable while giving up some efficiency compared to the fixed spring E2. I'm pretty sure I could use either one of these razors in a Fixed Four quite easily.

The question is, Would I?
20200728_194522[1].jpg

This was my side of the sink while trying to decide which razor to use. There are usually 3-4 more razors in the drawer......
20200728_194604[1].jpg

20200728_225655[1].jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Doug, my E2 open to clean is a great little razor. Other than the FOCS it's my favorite safety razor. However, I've read numerous places that one guy's E2 and another guy's E2 may not be quite the same.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Jim, the reason I have considered giving one of my E2's away, is not because they are not great little razors. I was having a talk with an old friend that I have grown up with from our neighborhood.

The first time I met Dane I was around 10 years old, thinking how cool I was with my StingRay bicycle, popping wheelies, when here comes Dane on his 10-speed road bike, riding a wheelie almost straight up in high gear, flying by around 25 miles an hour :eek2:

We became fast friends, riding motorcycles, owning boats together, water-skiing, and racing cars. His wife also grew up in the neighborhood, her dad owned a shop where he built drag racing cars for a living, called the Garden Grove Auto Clinic.
She cuts my hair. I still have my race car.
LACRstang[1].jpg
This was from an ANRA race at Los Angeles County Raceway(LACR) in June 1993.
I was running the 'stang in the Street Legal 1 category, and yes, I drove the car 110 miles to the racetrack that day. All of the rest of the cars running in SL-1 came in on trailers. It was fun watching them all load up their cars on trailers as I took the win with an Elapsed Time of 12:82 seconds @ 107.61 mph.
LACR was located in the high dessert of an altitude of 2800 ft, with a corrected altitude of around 6,000-8,000 ft because of the heat. At sea level the 'stang ran 12:00 @ 114.5 mph.
stang[1].jpg20191005_125827[1].jpg
Waiting for me to get the energy to put it back on the road later this year. Pretty, ain't she? I have had her over 40 years.

We got to talking razors, as both our dads used DE's razors all of their lives, and while I had tried a Trac II, Dane tried injectors. We both ended up using electrics as our jobs didn't require us to be clean shaven at work. Dane worked in maintenance for Monsanto, me in a job shop making parts on contract until 3M hired me. He was surprised when I told him that I had a few injector razors, and that he would be welcome to them if he wanted.

I like both of my E2 razors, but I can get a closer and more comfortable shave from my MMOC, and my Piccolo Mk1 is still the top dog for now. It might be my technique, as I was never able to get a comfortable shave from a cartridge, but I am sure my friend will like them more than me.

That and I still have my SE1 that I need to tame:kyle1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, the reason I have considered giving one of my E2's away, is not because they are not great little razors. I was having a talk with an old friend that I have grown up with from our neighborhood.

The first time I met Dane I was around 10 years old, thinking how cool I was with my StingRay bicycle, popping wheelies, when here comes Dane on his 10-speed road bike, riding a wheelie almost straight up in high gear, flying by around 25 miles an hour :eek2:

We became fast friends, riding motorcycles, owning boats together, water-skiing, and racing cars. His wife also grew up in the neighborhood, her dad owned a shop where he built drag racing cars for a living, called the Garden Grove Auto Clinic.
She cuts my hair. I still have my race car.
View attachment 1132224
I was running the 'stang in the Street Legal 1 category, and yes, I drove the car 110 miles to the racetrack that day. All of the rest of the cars running in SL-1 came in on trailers. It was fun watching them all load up their cars on trailers as I took the win with an Elapsed Time of 12:82 seconds @ 107.61 mph.
LACR was located in the high dessert of an altitude of 2800 ft, with a corrected altitude of around 6,000-8,000 ft because of the heat. At sea level the 'stang ran 12:00 @ 114.5 mph.
View attachment 1132225View attachment 1132230
Waiting for me to get the energy to put it back on the road later this year. Pretty, ain't she? I have had her over 40 years.

We got to talking razors, as both our dads used DE's razors all of their lives, and while I had tried a Trac II, Dane tried injectors. We both ended up using electrics as our jobs didn't require us to be clean shaven at work. Dane worked in maintenance for Monsanto, me in a job shop making parts on contract until 3M hired me. He was surprised when I told him that I had a few injector razors, and that he would be welcome to them if he wanted.

I like both of my E2 razors, but I can get a closer and more comfortable shave from my MMOC, and my Piccolo Mk1 is still the top dog for now. It might be my technique, as I was never able to get a comfortable shave from a cartridge, but I am sure my friend will like them more than me.

That and I still have my SE1 that I need to tame:kyle1:

Interesting stories.

Dane might really enjoy it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice launch.

Something you said earlier Doug, that I cant remember right now, made me think of engines in relation to razors. DE's are like sb's and SE's, like the MMOC, are more like a BB. They just have 'more'.

Your Mustang running 12 flat reminds of a friends Iraqibu. A 1981 Chevy Malibu.

Screenshot_2020-07-29 Automotive History Capsule 1981 Chevrolet Malibu “Iraqi Taxi”.png

"In 1981, Saddam Hussein’s government placed an order for 25,000 specially-configured Malibus with GM of Canada, to be used primarily as taxi cabs. The specs included the smallest V6 engine, the rather un-loved 229 cubic inch (3.8L) 110 hp predecessor to the 4.3 L Chevy 90° V6. And curiously, they insisted on a three-speed manual, with a floor shifter, as well as air conditioning, HD cooling, AM/FM/cassette decks, front bench seats, 200 kmh speedometers, a rugged tweed-vinyl upholstery, and fully opening rear door windows (I kid). I do suspect that a heavy duty suspension was also in the package to deal with the rough roads."

His is white with a well built 350 in it and also runs 12 flat.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Nice launch.

Something you said earlier Doug, that I cant remember right now, made me think of engines in relation to razors. DE's are like sb's and SE's, like the MMOC, are more like a BB. They just have 'more'.
Mike, 4:11 gears and a 3500 stall convertor got the car off the line, but having a 12-1 compression 358 cid small-block ford with Dart heads under the hood, I used to pull on the Big Blocks at the finish line........ the 3" exhaust system gave me the 'more'. ( I had a Team B&B Chevrolet decal on my fender at that race, they paid me $100 for it, and yes, I made a copy of the check!).

The SS Gem blade in the MMOC just feels 'more' solid than the injector blade in my E2. It doesn't feel sharp either, but it doesn't tug one bit.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, July 29
MMOC
Gem SS(6)
Simpson PJ2
1912 Club Cola
the Veg

The PJ2 was a little workhorse tonight, loading up quickly with it's extremely plush bristles massaging my face as I lathered up. While not in the same league as my Omega Silver Tip, the PJ2 just put all of my boars I have been trying to break-in in the back seat.
It seems the backbone is giving way to more scrub, delicious scrub.

The first pass was N-S starting with my left sideburn, three quick easy strokes down around my jawline on each side, then my lips and chin, all N-S, and comfortable. I could hear the blade cutting the stubble more than I could feel it.
The blade almost felt as though it wasn't there.

Switching to S-N for my neck, I decided to shave @rabidus style, put the lather on thick and reduced and buffed until smooth. Finishing with an XTG pass on my face, I was surprised at how much stubble was left from the WTG pass. The MMOC removed it in complete comfort.

I used HA before applying the Witch hazel, the Veg was warm on my face, heating up as I rubbed it on my neck, only a little Nivea balm was needed to leave my face smooth and supple.

I won't need another shave until Friday.
20200729_202056[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thursday, July 30
MMOC
Gem SS(7)
Omega 10066
1912 Club Cola
the Veg

This 10066 is the first boar that I got after starting my wet shaving journey with a White Knight synthetic, that I affectionately called the 'Boss'. I had read bout the differences between the two types of brushes, and I liked the handle on the Omega. I also got an Semogue 1800 at the same time.
I traded the 1800 for an Omega 49, but the 66 was my staple until my brother gifted me a boar and a badger from Italy. That led to more badgers and boars finding their way into my den, and now my favorite brush is my Omega Silver Tip badger.

The little piggies are going to have to prove which one is gets promoted to High Hog, as I'm looking at another badger, and some piggies are gonna get put in the pen. While I can get a great bowl lather with all of my brushes, face lathering is another story. I want my brush to hold enough lather for more than one pass.

Fortunately ARKO! August is just around the corner, my piggies are gonna get messy. The 66 felt wonderful on the first pass, needing a few trips to the puck and water mug after that. It is not fully broken-in, it is soft, with medium backbone and scrub, the scritch mostly gone.

I could have skipped shaving tonight, but I wanted to try my 66 with the Club Cola, and give the MMOC a quick 2 pass WTG shave.

N-S the whole first pass, left side, chin, right side, stache, neck. There was more stubble than I thought, but my only feedback was audible. The XTG pass on my face was louder than I had expected, the blade still smoothly, bluntly, comfortably removing only the stubble, leaving my face irritation free.
For the second N-S pass on my neck, I also shaved XTG in a few spots where it was comfortable. I also noticed that I could increase my pressure a bit, without any significant irritation.

The HA, Witch hazel, and the Veg all felt remarkably comfortable on application, the Nivea balm completing the shave.

It was a comfortable shave, a close shave, it was a Damn Fine Shave.
20200730_210301[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
With half of my shaves this month being of the single edge variety, I only have one more SE razor that I haven't used this month.
As much as I have wanted to compare my MMOC with my GC OC84, I think it only fair to compare it with another SE first.
And that SE would be an SE1 :kyle1:
Now all I have to decide on is which blade to use.......

20200730_210230[1].jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
MMOC/PTFE (7) is bliss. 9 is bliss too but it just starts to fade for me and I need to do a bit more work.

I used my MMOC again last night. I cant remember how many shaves on this blade but it felt like 8. 12 1/2 hours later now and I can just feel regrowth under my chin and left side jawline. 8 shaves seems about right. One more ATG pass and I would have been at 14 hours but CRS wasnt up to it last night and comfort won out.

Cella might have me spoiled.

Now all I have to decide on is which blade to use.......

Proline! Compare it to the MMOC for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
LACRstang[1].jpg
CAM01110.jpg

I knew I had this someplace

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That needs to be with all the other documentation you have for the car. When I sold my Chevelle, a whole folder or paperwork went with it.
I have 3 logbooks. A separate notebook with all of the engine build specs. Several manila folders with lots of paperwork. All my trophy's and plaques are on a shelf in my garage/man-cave. After over 40's years of ownership, I don't plan on selling it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
All ARKO! All August
Saturday, August 1
ATT SE1 Proline(5)
Shaving Soap Stick: ARKO!
Aftershave Cologne: ARKO!
Aftershave Cream: ARKO!

I chose my Omega 10005 boar to start the month, first rubbing the freshly opened stick over my damp whiskers first, then swishing my damp brush across the stick. The lather started to build as I pressed the Omega enough to splay it, now soft, with a pleasant backbone and perfect amount of scrub to gently massage my face. The fresh scent of ARKO! filling the bathroom.

My thumb-pad test confirmed the Proline(5) has not lost it's edge after sitting in a plastic container four months, the Pro-guard(4) feeling no sharper than the Gem SS(8) in my MMOC.

With a blade more than worthy of my finely crafted SE1 clamped and ready I started my shave at my left sideburn, barely feeling the razor or blade as I pressed it to my face and let it glide down around my jawline, then repeated that 3 times.
As I rounded my jawline I let the razor transition from the design angle to the cap. It smoothly and subtly stopped cutting as the cap almost caressed the top of my neck. I repeated the process on my right side, then shaved around my lips and chin. All N-S.

Still treating the SE1 like a precision instrument, I let it find the perfect angle and smoothly and comfortably, lift the stubble off my neck. Mostly N-S, easy strokes with a minimum of buffing.

I grabbed the ARKO! and rubbed it on my face, dipped the brush in the water and lathered up for and XTG pass on my face and ATG pass on my neck.

The post shave feel was almost exactly as if I had just lathered my face and wiped it off, then applied the HA, Witch hazel, and ARKO! ASL. There was no burn or sting, not a trace. The ARKO! balm was a blissful finish.

It was a truly wonderful Saturday shave.

20200801_102258[1].jpg

All ARKO! All August
Saturday, August 1
ATT SE1 Proline(5)
Shaving Soap Stick: ARKO!
Aftershave Cologne: ARKO!
Aftershave Cream: ARKO!

I chose my Omega 10005 boar to start the month, first rubbing the freshly opened stick over my damp whiskers first, then swishing my damp brush across the stick. The lather started to build as I pressed the Omega enough to splay it, now soft, with a pleasant backbone and perfect amount of scrub to gently massage my face. The fresh scent of ARKO! filling the bathroom.

My thumb-pad test confirmed the Proline(5) has not lost it's edge after sitting in a plastic container four months, the Pro-guard(4) feeling no sharper than the Gem SS(8) in my MMOC.

With a blade more than worthy of my finely crafted SE1 clamped and ready I started my shave at my left sideburn, barely feeling the razor or blade as I pressed it to my face and let it glide down around my jawline, then repeated that 3 times.
As I rounded my jawline I let the razor transition from the design angle to the cap. It smoothly and subtly stopped cutting as the cap almost caressed the top of my neck. I repeated the process on my right side, then shaved around my lips and chin. All N-S.

Still treating the SE1 like a precision instrument, I let it find the perfect angle and smoothly and comfortably, lift the stubble off my neck. Mostly N-S, easy strokes with a minimum of buffing.

I grabbed the ARKO! and rubbed it on my face, dipped the brush in the water and lathered up for and XTG pass on my face and ATG pass on my neck.

The post shave feel was almost exactly as if I had just lathered my face and wiped it off, then applied the HA, Witch hazel, and ARKO! ASL. There was no burn or sting, not a trace. The ARKO! balm was a blissful finish.

It was a truly wonderful Saturday shave.

View attachment 1133662

What a review. Maybe I should start saving now.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sunday, ARKO! August 2

ATT SE1 Proline(6)
Omega 10005
ARKO! Shaving Soap Stick
Old Spice ASL
ARKO! Aftershave Cream

Today's shave was nice............
With only 1 days growth the Arko stick didn't rub off much on my face, but a little rubbing the tips of the brush around the stick got enough lather to get started. Even though the brush was damp I still needed to dip it in the water a few times to get the hydration right, almost dripping.

Feeling more confident after a getting to know you again drive yesterday with the SE1 that left me with a wonderfully close shave, I started today's shave much the same, Left side N-S, but quick full strokes just to my jawline, 3 on the left, 3 on the right, my chin, soul patch, under my nose.
Quick and neat, I switched directions and shaved my neck S-N, or full ATG first pass.

I could barely feel the blade slice cleanly all the way from the bottom of my neck to my jawline, absolutely no drag or tugging. It was almost as if I had already made a pass and this was the clean-up.

After rubbing more ARKO on my face and dipping the brush in more water I lathered up and shaved my face nose to ear, then a clean-up pass on my neck N-S. Using a bit more pressure in this direction the SE1 felt as though it was removing even more stubble than the 1st pass...........

There were some spots of red on both sides of my neck from the 1st ATG pass, the 2nd WTG pass was clean, not styptic or alum needed. I may not need an ATG pass on my neck............

After wiping my face with a warm towel, I used some HA, the rubbed in the Witch hazel. Feeling like my dad I slapped the Old Spice all over my face and felt that oh so familiar sting for only an instant.
At first the Arko balm felt as though it was insulted by the use of Old Spice instead of Arko, but an hour later my face feels great.

I didn't chase it, but a BBS was the result.
Comfort was the game, and the game won.

20200802_094619[1].jpg

What a review. Maybe I should start saving now.
It could be my technique has improved.........
Proline! Compare it to the MMOC for me.
What the Grande gives up to the MMOC, the MMOC gives up to the SE1 Proline!
It is hard to explain how smoothly it transitions from the steep side of the design angle to the cap. Bliss. My facial hair grows N-S, so my first pass is usually WTG. While I can definitely feel it taking more stubble on my face shaving XTG, which for me is nose to ear, my neck hair grows diagonally, so a N-S pass on my neck is mostly XTG. I can use as much pressure with my SE1 shaving N-S as my MMOC, but the efficiency is turn up a few notches. My second pass today felt like it cut more than the first pass. The feedback is more like an SR than an SE.
It is not a razor for beginners, that is for sure, I think my technique is improving to where I can really appreciate how this razor works. It easily tops the comfort scale.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What the Grande gives up to the MMOC, the MMOC gives up to the SE1 Proline!
It is hard to explain how smoothly it transitions from the steep side of the design angle to the cap. Bliss. My facial hair grows N-S, so my first pass is usually WTG. While I can definitely feel it taking more stubble on my face shaving XTG, which for me is nose to ear, my neck hair grows diagonally, so a N-S pass on my neck is mostly XTG. I can use as much pressure with my SE1 shaving N-S as my MMOC, but the efficiency is turn up a few notches. My second pass today felt like it cut more than the first pass. The feedback is more like an SR than an SE.
It is not a razor for beginners, that is for sure, I think my technique is improving to where I can really appreciate how this razor works. It easily tops the comfort scale.

You're words echo the words of @rabidus. He said the MMOC was right on the heels of the SE1/Proline with the edge going to the SE1. At my absolute best, my Grande is close to my MMOC but not quite there, in every regard. I would expect the same from my MMOC vs an SE1.

Thanks for the confirmation Doug!

Top Bottom