What's new

Penhaligon's Discontinued Scents

LP9 is nice, floral with some wood and amber. sweet and vanilla to my nose, but those are not listed in basenotes.
whatever. relatively young scent. seems to be available on da bay still. i wonder if they had to pay royalties to the Searchers, who put out the hit song?!

View attachment 1132090

Penhaligon's originally tried to call it "Love Potion No. 9" and got in trouble for doing so, so they changed it to LP No. 9 which I assume was acceptable to the Searcher's otherwise they would have had to rename it totally!

I think LP9 is a scent they market around Valentine’s Day period, as it’s a more sensual perfume (never tried it myself)

Douro is my favorite formal fragrance. It’s wonderfully masculine and classy, while being fresh and citrusy. I have a back up just in case.

for the lovers of English Fern I would suggest Bayolea as a more modern scent but still beautiful and fresh (I love Bayolea so much I bought the shave cream as preshave, shaving soap, aftershave and EDT) but this one also seems to be unavailable at the moment.

LP No. 9 has been discontinued and has come back in the past. I had forgotten that it was once called Love Potion No. 9. I do not recall whether it always had a male and a female version, which made it seem like an outlier in the Pen's line up. To me it has certain Double Bubble bubble gum notes. Interesting, but again not typical Pens.

I am not sure if Douro came and went in the past. It may have, at least in connection with the name change and the name change back. To me the scent was squarely within Pens line up of traditional scents. I never understood Pens treating it as something of an outlier. Different names, changing the packaging around. It is clearly a top ten scent for me and always has been. I would say it is traditional but not passe. I think it is bizarre to discontinue EF, but I can see it being thought of as out of style. Although when have fougeres ever been completely out of style.

I think Pens has really lost the thread. Seems to me Floris underwent something similar in recent decades. Discontinuing certain traditional scents such as Sandalwood (that could have been a loss of sources of sandalwood and maybe credit should be given for honesty) and Vetiver (however Floris spelled it). And adding new scents that seemed neither here nor there.

LP No. 9 has been discontinued and has come back in the past. I had forgotten that it was once called Love Potion No. 9. I do not recall whether it always had a male and a female version, which made it seem like an outlier in the Pen's line up. To me it has certain Double Bubble bubble gum notes. Interesting, but again not typical Pens.

I am not sure if Douro came and went in the past. It may have, at least in connection with the name change and the name change back. To me the scent was squarely within Pens line up of traditional scents. I never understood Pens treating it as something of an outlier. Different names, changing the packaging around. It is clearly a top ten scent for me and always has been. I would say it is traditional but not passe. I think it is bizarre to discontinue EF, but I can see it being thought of as out of style. Although when have fougeres ever been completely out of style.

I think Pens has really lost the thread. Seems to me Floris underwent something similar in recent decades. Discontinuing certain traditional scents such as Sandalwood (that could have been a loss of sources of sandalwood and maybe credit should be given for honesty) and Vetiver (however Floris spelled it). And adding new scents that seemed neither here nor there.

Remember. "Douro" was originally "Lords"! I think I still have a bottle of it somewhere!

I am personally amazed to see Pen's discontinue EF. What is next? BB? HB? I suppose one could argue that Sartorial is a pretty good substitute for EF.
The basic concept behind Sartorial was experiencing a Fougère type scent in a tailors shop with the scents of fabric, lavender and leather from in the inside of "bespoke tailors of Savile Row"! Really, I want to smell like a tailor shop with the scent of sewing machines, hanging fabric and patternmaking paper hanging from a hook? I don't think so! Just like many of the new scents it is from a weird concept. Don't get me wrong, I actually have a bottle of Sartorial but the idea behind the inspiration is totally off the wall, or literally off the wall... the wall of a "bespoke tailor"!

I totally understand your point. I enjoy English Fern too (not my favorite Penhaligon’s though) and was lucky to get a bottle before it got discontinued.
A good reason, in my opinion, to send them any email! It will only take you a couple of minutes and hopefully we'll get English Fern back!

Thanks for the "heads up..." Just ordered an English Fern. Always one of my favorites.

Opus 1870 is nice also, but never caught on with Endymion, and certainly not Blenheim Bouquet.. Al;though such preferences are highly personal.

Remember. "Douro" was originally "Lords"! I think I still have a bottle of it somewhere!

No disrespect and I could be wrong :), but: Nope. As I recall, "Douro" was originally "Douro." Then it became "Lords." Then it became "Douro" again. This was before my time, though. Pretty silly stuff.

Really, I want to smell like a tailor shop with the scent of sewing machines, hanging fabric and patternmaking paper hanging from a hook? I don't think so! Just like many of the new scents it is from a weird concept.

Wow, tastes really do vary. And, again, no disrespect. But I thought this was brilliant marketing on Pens' part and fantastic inspiration and execution on Bertrand Duchaufour's, the perfumer's, part. I personally do want to smell like that and it does not seem so weird to me! I admit that I do not know Bertrand Duchaufour's other work much at all, except for Esprit du Roi, which seems like a nice scent, clearly within Pens wheelhouse, and Frank No. 1, by Frank Los Angeles, which I am very impressed to hear is his work!! Also, BD seems to be to blame for some of the excess of Pens fragrances that seem to be of little note except to provide a huge variety. But to me Sartorial was a solid homerun across the board, including marketing. All of the animal heads and the like mean nothing to me. Savile Row pushed all sorts of the right buttons with me before I tried the scent, and I think it still does! YMMV, of course.

Opus 1870 is nice also, but never caught on with Endymion, and certainly not Blenheim Bouquet.. Al;though such preferences are highly personal.

I own Opus 1870 and it is rather nice, but not as interesting or as outstanding as EF, Douro, Sartorial, etc., to my taste. Blenheim Bouquet is neck and neck with Douro as among my all time favorite scents. Tastes sure vary. Endymion to me seems vanilla-y and sort of a Pens imitation of similar better scents.

No disrespect and I could be wrong :), but: Nope. As I recall, "Douro" was originally "Douro." Then it became "Lords." Then it became "Douro" again. This was before my time, though. Pretty silly stuff.

Such is my recollection also.

Wow, tastes really do vary. And, again, no disrespect. But I thought this was brilliant marketing on Pens' part and fantastic inspiration and execution on Bertrand Duchaufour's, the perfumer's, part. I personally do want to smell like that and it does not seem so weird to me! I admit that I do not know Bertrand Duchaufour's other work much at all, except for Esprit du Roi, which seems like a nice scent, clearly within Pens wheelhouse, and Frank No. 1, by Frank Los Angeles, which I am very impressed to hear is his work!! Also, BD seems to be to blame for some of the excess of Pens fragrances that seem to be of little note except to provide a huge variety. But to me Sartorial was a solid homerun across the board, including marketing. All of the animal heads and the like mean nothing to me. Savile Row pushed all sorts of the right buttons with me before I tried the scent, and I think it still does! YMMV, of course.

I couldn’t agree more!

Sorry, David! I certainly respect your opinion (and also your products, which get way too little attention...), but I think Sartorial is brilliant all across the board!

Sartorial is a great addition to Pens line!
Indeed reminds of beeswax and woolens being ironed.
To top it off, SWMBO even approves, one of the few in the den that she actually likes!

penhaligons sartorial muehle joris january 12 2018.jpg

...from Basenotes:

About Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords
Originally created in 1911 for Percy Croft of the Croft Port Dynasty. Released to the public in the eighties with the name Lords. In 2004, the fragrance was named Douro after Portugal's famous port region.

In 2009 the fragrance packaging was changed and the scent was renamed Douro Eau de Portugal.

It appears that although it was created in 1911, when it was introduced by Penhaligon's in 1985, it was called "Lords" and that would have been the time of my first visit to London and the Covent Garden store where I purchased it.

Obviously, I did not have a problem with the scent of Sartorial as I purchased it but I have a degree in Menswear Design and Marketing from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and experience in the garment industry in different roles in such areas and companies like Technical Design for Macy's Inc. and from all the experience I have been in many, garment design and production facilities, I have found that they aren't a lovely place to me and often don't have a fragrance in the space you would want to take home with you. As I mentioned, I have a bottle of Sartorial which I purchased in London and quite like it but the way they chose to present it doesn't create a good feeling for me but now you know why.

saramento1,

That certainly brings back memories seeing the "Lords" Cologne and even more interesting with "Douro" by it's side! I just took a look at my stash of colognes and I found two bottles of "Lords", one with the plastic still around it which is that bottle I was talking about and another still in it's plastic with the Penhaligon's printed tissue wrapped around the outside by a young lady in one of the London Penhaligon's stores in the 1980's! I think it was selling for around $30 or $40 at that time! Boy, how have things changed and in some ways stayed the same!

Thanks for your pictures! You would be amazed how often I see one of your pictures when I have been doing some product research online! I'll take a quick look at the icon and say "saramento1!" before I click on it and view the photo which proves it is indeed yours!

A good reason, in my opinion, to send them any email! It will only take you a couple of minutes and hopefully we'll get English Fern back!

which reason? I said it’s not my favorite among Pen’s 😀 not worth an email. Who knows what they will have to discontinue to bring back EF!

Sorry, just joking around. On a serious note, I work in corporate environments and totally understand the business reason for such a decision, and I respect it (even if I may not agree with it). I have to believe they are not run by amateurs. Their owners have a strategy and targets and are making the decisions they deem fit to reach them. Again, I think not many gents these days are willing to shed $180 on a bottle of perfume to smell like a 1910s British aristocrat.

Sorry, just joking around. On a serious note, I work in corporate environments and totally understand the business reason for such a decision, and I respect it (even if I may not agree with it). I have to believe they are not run by amateurs. Their owners have a strategy and targets and are making the decisions they deem fit to reach them. Again, I think not many gents these days are willing to shed $180 on a bottle of perfume to smell like a 1910s British aristocrat.
Lifestyles have changed a great deal in recent years and things have become much more casual! Men are less apt to gravitate toward gentlemanly activities and lifestyles but there are still some who do. It may be just a matter of trying to appeal a broader range of customers that includes providing for both "gentlemen" and more "regular" guys. This might include offering "classic" scents like the ones discussed here that are always available and taking a few chances on the casual side and offering some seasonal options as well. Their current price points are quite high compared to what they were in the 1980's when I first began shopping there and finding something that was $40-$50 and now is $180 is quite a large price jump in four decades. It is hard to say where things are going right now but for me, change for the sake of change doesn't work and it doesn't work for many customers as well. This is why I suggested sending them an email and putting the thought in their heads that many of their discontinued products are still desired!

Top Bottom