What's new

Knife Making

Any knife makers here? I just got started and am really enjoying it. I’d love to see some pics, hear whatever secrets and tricks you’re willing to share.
I’m making mine out of 1095 right now, just doing stock removal. I’ve got a small forge but only using that for heat treating right now, tempering in a toaster oven. I’ve got stuff to make kydex sheaths and have been screwing around with that too. So far I’ve gotten two done with another one working, pics attached.
8B00C4B5-78CF-439E-A1E2-A8298FE2744A.jpeg
3DAC649A-0E91-4B7F-ADCB-98E16CD13F83.jpeg
4763ABD7-6329-440A-9E5C-9F7275ED0981.jpeg
F7B9603B-F98C-49E0-B164-CE4C85F29045.jpeg
ECD9F126-8507-4715-9283-10ECBB9C7166.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Collector, not a maker, but love seeing customs.

Supposed I DID put live oak scales on a blade once; not a work of art though!

AA

I'm not a maker of knives, but I like being a maker of things, and I'd love to learn. Any insight on where/how to get started learning would be appreciated.

Some beautiful workmanship in these posts!

I'm not a maker of knives, but I like being a maker of things, and I'd love to learn. Any insight on where/how to get started learning would be appreciated.

Some beautiful workmanship in these posts!
Thanks!
I think a really good place to start is Walter Sorel’s videos on YouTube. I think I spelled that right. There are so many good knife makers doing videos but to me his were the simplest and most straightforward. He’s a natural teacher. I ordered some books when I was getting started to help me figure out what equipment I needed to get going but mostly just watched a ton of YouTube!

It’s labeled a belt sander/buffer. This is a “shop fox” off Amazon, I’m not sure but it seems to be a rebranded Grizzly. It’s a good entry level and about as inexpensive as you can get into a 2x72 that I’ve seen.
55F2ADAC-293C-4F6F-A4D6-93B22F4DA045.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
It’s labeled a belt sander/buffer. This is a “shop fox” off Amazon, I’m not sure but it seems to be a rebranded Grizzly. It’s a good entry level and about as inexpensive as you can get into a 2x72 that I’ve seen.
View attachment 1131579
That looks more like a grinder. good stuff.

I already have a multitool grinder attachment which I will start with.

There is a more fancy unit I have my eye on, but when finances allow...

That looks more like a grinder. good stuff.

I already have a multitool grinder attachment which I will start with.

There is a more fancy unit I have my eye on, but when finances allow...
I’ve called it a grinder the whole time because that’s what I do with it! I’m eyeballing some nicer ones, whenever talent justifies it. Also thinking about upgrading drill press, band saw, buying a kiln...it doesn’t end. It’s a lot of fun though.
That multi tool attachment is pretty cool, I’ve never seen one of those.

Top Bottom