What's new

The official Brown Leaf "Hall of Shame" cigar band thread

97BC868A-04CE-4681-9346-B25F0CFC1C19.jpeg
299E4B4E-2118-46DE-A2DB-2CB3B136CF79.jpeg

So a ridiculous band is just something obnoxiously large? I’ve only smoked cigars in Mexico but I’m thinking about starting

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've had a few where the danged bands get stuck to the wrapper and the wrapper is ruined if you can get the danged thing off. I'm not thrilled with some of the fancy boxes that are odd shaped. Probably just me.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Here's a view some gents won't like. Today's cigar bands are ridiculous. Garish and pretentious. Grotesquely oversized. Even for mediocre cigars, they are embarrassingly over-the-top anymore. And getting worse every year.

The only thing worse are the young men who wave them around, always with the crest facing out like a billboard, and show them off as some fleeting, cheesy, status symbol. "Look at me, I'm smoking an Ashton (and you're not)!"

It wasn't always this way.

I picked up a polite habit a very long time ago, a British cigar practice, that is not much practiced any more: The very first thing I always do with any cigar before smoking it is remove the band.

From a modest 8-5-8 to a $30 Padron, they all get stripped naked before lighting. No one ever knows what I'm smoking.

The reason for this old practice is not just to extend the smokable portion of the stick. It was done as a polite courtesy, so that the smoker sitting alongside - who might be smoking a much cheaper cigar (perhaps all he could afford) - would never be embarrassed. Typical British understatement and courtesy. It's a good practice. A gentleman's practice. I heartily encourage it to all good men.

The interesting thing is, many of today's very best cigars still carry a more traditional band. Just enough to let you know what you selected. But not enough to advertise it to the gentlemen 20 feet away at the lounge table. And they peel right off without need of a circular saw.

Naked cigars all present alike to the world, just like all naked men, rich or poor.

Here's a view some gents won't like. Today's cigar bands are ridiculous. Garish and pretentious. Grotesquely oversized. Even for mediocre cigars, they are embarrassingly over-the-top anymore. And getting worse every year.
>Snip<
And that is the point of this thread.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
And that is the point of this thread.

My point was not so much about ugly bands. It was a very easy segue into an even broader phenomenon among cigar smokers today. Particularly newer and younger ones, who have fallen prey to some of the stereotypes peddled by today’s cigar enthusiast media.

I was addressing the rise of ‘cigar flaunting’ in recent years, and suggesting a now generally forgotten cigar handling practice that encourages a bit more courtesy towards fellow smokers.

And that was the point of my post.

Oh I agree with your post completely. I was affirming your statement ...not diminishing your point at all.
My apologies if it apeared otherwise.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Oh I agree with your post completely. I was affirming your statement ...not diminishing your point at all.
My apologies if it apeared otherwise.
No apologies needed. I took no offense whatsoever.

Top Bottom