What's new

Simpson Chubby

Hi guys!

Just wanted to update you all about what I ended up doing. I went ahead and bought the chubby 2 in super badger via the official Simpson's website.

Can't wait to get it! Thanks again everyone for your thoughts/opinions, they didn't go unnoticed.

And lastly, if anyone would like to share pics of their chubbies, I would love it! As I wait for mine to arrive...

Seems you’ve had quite the impact!

'Very angry badger' forces parts of Scotland's historic Craignethan Castle to close

I wouldn't recommend a Simpson at all.I bought one and it started loosing hairs after two weeks of use.
It kept loosing hairs till there was a big hole in the middle.I think there are better ones out there.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I wouldn't recommend a Simpson at all.I bought one and it started loosing hairs after two weeks of use.
It kept loosing hairs till there was a big hole in the middle.I think there are better ones out there.
And when you contacted the seller and Simpson about the issue what response did you get?

3) I didn't buy a Simpson's brush initially cuz I was kind of afraid of the stories out there about shedding. Is this something that I should worry about?
Hi. Simpson chubby 1 best is a great brush. I bought one a bit over a year ago. used it for about 70 times. it shed a bit in the beginning, followed advice to shampoo etc.... Did not contact the seller nor Simpson company during the first 12 months (my mistake for it will be inspected during one year of purchase). Now, it is shedding like 10+ hairs per use!
It is a great brush to have, if there is a shedding problem, contact seller/company IMMEDIATELY. Best of luck

Last week i bought chubby 2 in super. First and second shave it lost 5-10 hairs each time. 48 hours between shaves so brush was dry. Is it normal or is it shedding problem? Thank you

I dont use it roughly. My other brushes like mühle or EJ lost maybe 20 hairs each in 5 years 1-2 hairs from time to time but not 5-10 in each shave. Monday will be third shave... i hope the best

I did a mistake of buying this chubby 2 in super. If it stops shedding i will want to buy chubby 2 in manchurian and 2 band silvertip. Sh here we go again.....

I don't understand my Simpsons are still demanding the paper receipt. There's plenty electronic proof of purchase nowadays ie emails etc. Seems mighty old fashioned and odd in this day and age.

Hope Simpsons Chubbies are better now than in 2013-2014 when I bought my Chubby 2 Super. So horrible lather hog, I sold it within 3 weeks.

I did a mistake of buying this chubby 2 in super. If it stops shedding i will want to buy chubby 2 in manchurian and 2 band silvertip. Sh here we go again.....

You have used the brush all of two times with <20 hairs out of how many 25k+ coming out and your assumption of the 100yr old company is only *if* it stops shedding?

Edwin Jagger uses Chinese made knots of lower density and they are only doing all the labor of the handle production and knot/handle setting, a big difference vs 100% own production/labor starting only with graded for length and quality hair bundles from China. It is much easier to have 0 hairs come out per shave from any maker when a whole lot less density was there in the first place but with more desnity comes more appearance of some pieces that can't reach the glue base simply because they're a couple mm shorter and when they stack the knot they just don't fall in due that high density which is likely why most bought in the first place.

Not saying dense/r brushes don't exist that shed 0, luck of the draw and all, but they will likely not be made in the UK/EU from a factory, either Chinese labor for a nice finished knot or maybe an 'artisan' producer making very small quantities at very high prices (I have a knot bought from Lee Sabini about 2009 and it is the densest brush I've seen or owned and I cannot recall it shedding a hair but it was >$200 even back then for a 25mm knot of his 2nd best hair grade at the time, not the finer/costlier silvertip). Now the high end Simpsons do tend that much, if you buy from the parties with a reputation to keep germane to shaving world vs amazon, but you can get them often no secret password or unknown location needed they actually have a factory you can go to.

People should not count the number hairs that go out, they should count the number that stay in, seems hardly ever you see that perspective. Okay you lost 200 but was the remainder 2000+ more than the same size knot from a Chinese maker, isn't that worth soemthing? Extremely dense knots requires several uses before the hairs never in glue are discarded or a lot of patient labor combing, if they spent the time in the UK necessary to get EVERY stray out without getting that brush wet they'd be combing all day on such dense models and they'd cost even more than they already do for the labor. I'd rather have it cost less and have to accept many dozens leave before settling, if I have to pick one or the other (costing even more and shedding 0).

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush

Every brush is different. If it keeps shedding, let Simpson’s know.

I have a decent little Chubby collection and started a group in the Brotherhood section called “Chubby Chasers” for lovers of the design. All of my current ones are excellent and only shed a few the first 1-2 shaves. I have a Chubby 1 Super that hasn’t lost a single hair as well. Since the brushes are being made by hand in the Isle of Man shop, there is always the possibility of human error or an adhesive not holding the knot the way it should. If it keeps shedding, Simpson will likely take care of it for you.

As for other grades, the SiLVERTiP is my current favorite and doesn’t come around often. There are a couple in the store now and once gone it may be a while before you can get one again.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hope Simpsons Chubbies are better now than in 2013-2014 when I bought my Chubby 2 Super. So horrible lather hog, I sold it within 3 weeks.

Depends on what you like. They’re more dense than M&F knots and more dense knots can be hogs. Once broken in they tend to release the lather better. The Chubby series remains my personal favorite even though I have other brushes that perform just as well, though differently.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have owned about 20 Simpsons badgers and none have been shedders beyond the nearly universal tendency of natural hair brushes to lose a few hairs the first few times they're used. I have never had a persistent problem with a Simpson shedding. For that matter I've never had a problem with any established brush maker's products shedding.

I hate threads like this about any vendor. Someone has a problem or perceives they have a problem because a brush sheds 15 hairs its first week, so they post that this brushmaker charges $200 for shedders. They go away, and in most cases the brush stops shedding. But their post is here forever. Then 6 months or a year later the next bloke who loses a dozen hairs revives the thread and soon the vendor gets a reputation as a shoddy manufacturer. Today's spree took this to a new level. A poster joined the site because his Chubby lost a dozen hairs, he then searched the site for "Simpsons shedding," then revived 7 threads in which he complained about Simpsons brushes being shedders.

How does a vendor deal with that? It isn't fair, and it makes me sad.

Top Bottom