What's new

Help me simplify from my Rockwell 6S

I have used a Rockwell 6S for over a year exclusively. More specifically, I have used plate 5. I used plate 4 for a brief time but have found 5 slightly more efficient. I like the shaves a lot. I don't love the clunky feel or exposed tabs. I also don't like keeping around plates that don't get used. I'd like to get more streamlined.

Other DEs I have liked almost enough to make them my one and only: Gillette Red Tip, Long-handled black beauty (set on 5 or 6), Mergress.

I used an EJ Barley chrome for a long time, and it was a handle I liked and a smooth shaver, but I wanted something a shade more aggressive.

Top of my list right now is the GC .84, but I'm open to other suggestions. I am unlikely to spend triple digits for a razor again, although I did for both the Mergress and the Rockwell. I like the idea of a steel razor, although brass might be a consideration, as would aluminum or maybe even zamak, although when I finally dropped my EJ after 6 years of use and the threads snapped, it turned me off.

I want one razor and don't wish to go shopping for another soon. So, is the Game Changer my best bet? Is there something else I ought to consider? 3One6? Rocca? Others?

Well, you can't go wrong with the GC 84 if you can get your hands on one. I have two of them and other GC baseplates as well if the mood strikes me. I bought the first GC at the same time as a Ti Timeless 95 and the GC gets used more.

Based on my experience, there is only one razor that I can say that competes directly with the Rockwell. I currently have 30 razors in my collection and I have probably used more than 50 razors. All this is to say I have done some comparisons. I am not the person that only have tried 1 or 2 razors and swears by them. I am not an expert, but I have a little experience, at least to know exactly what woks for me.

That one razor is the Karve Christopher Bradley razor. It has pretty much the same efficiency and smoothness of the Rockwell with less chunky design. The advantage of the Rockwell is that it comes with all the plates you need. The karve, you have to decide which plate or plates you want to buy. I purchased plates b and c. Those are more or less equivalent to 4 and 5 on the Rockwell.

I hope this helps. I am very interested on what other recommendations people have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my GC .84 SB and my Rocca. If you want the smoothness of the Rockwell for under $100, get the .84 GC SB. Rocca is slightly more efficient but with a little more blade feel and over $100.

I have used a Rockwell 6S for over a year exclusively. More specifically, I have used plate 5. I used plate 4 for a brief time but have found 5 slightly more efficient. I like the shaves a lot. I don't love the clunky feel or exposed tabs. I also don't like keeping around plates that don't get used. I'd like to get more streamlined.

Other DEs I have liked almost enough to make them my one and only: Gillette Red Tip, Long-handled black beauty (set on 5 or 6), Mergress.

I used an EJ Barley chrome for a long time, and it was a handle I liked and a smooth shaver, but I wanted something a shade more aggressive.

Top of my list right now is the GC .84, but I'm open to other suggestions. I am unlikely to spend triple digits for a razor again, although I did for both the Mergress and the Rockwell. I like the idea of a steel razor, although brass might be a consideration, as would aluminum or maybe even zamak, although when I finally dropped my EJ after 6 years of use and the threads snapped, it turned me off.

I want one razor and don't wish to go shopping for another soon. So, is the Game Changer my best bet? Is there something else I ought to consider? 3One6? Rocca? Others?
When I started to use my Fatip Gold Grande, I sold my GC.068OC, GC.084, which are excellent razors. The Grande was that much better in balance, efficiency, and weight. It is solid brass and plated. There is also much excitement about Lo Storto the slant. I recently acquired but have not shaved with yet. You could probably have the two of them for less than a GC.

Attachments

• 96EA2E15-20E3-4C07-BAC7-D7C14A236FC0.jpeg
    96EA2E15-20E3-4C07-BAC7-D7C14A236FC0.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 43
  • 5CB0D8BD-F992-4029-9F86-37CB28976B77.jpeg
    5CB0D8BD-F992-4029-9F86-37CB28976B77.jpeg
    719 KB · Views: 46
  • 054076B7-560D-452F-AA12-D6C053FC4B33.jpeg
    054076B7-560D-452F-AA12-D6C053FC4B33.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 45
I haven't really explored the Fatip line. I will do some reading.

Sounds like the GC is still a strong contender.

The Rocca just barely goes over $100 but point taken. Smoothness is a priority, so I will rule it out.

Having had the 6S and a couple game changers. I think you have it figured out already. If I may, the Gamechanger 84 with the super knurl handle will likely be your favorite configuration. I personally love my 68 and 84. I also enjoy the money i have from selling my 6S.

Karve may be inevitable down the road, but it does sound as though the GC .84 is a near-future necessity. The Super Knurl is indeed the handle I've been eyeballing, and I appreciate that particular recommendation. Never had a Razorock razor, so I wasn't sure which handle to go after. Radio knob also catches the eye.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
For me, I find that my "mild" Game Changer 0.68 SB with a sharp blade, to be more efficient than my Rockwell 6S on plate R5.

I also find that the GC works very well as a daily shaver, and can also handle 4 days growth of my grizzly old man beard without a problem, so no real need for the different plates of the Rockwell. I do like to keep things simple also.

Now I also must say that I do really like both my Rockwell 6S and 6C razors, but just grab the GC most of the time now.

Having had the 6S and a couple game changers. I think you have it figured out already. If I may, the Gamechanger 84 with the super knurl handle will likely be your favorite configuration. I personally love my 68 and 84. I also enjoy the money i have from selling my 6S.
I second the Super Knurl. What a great great value for the money. If you have the patience to frequent check Italian Barber website and strike as soon as it comes available, the .84 SB in Super Knurl is certainly worth it!

This other thread might also be useful to you in determining your next razor:

When I started to use my Fatip Gold Grande, I sold my GC.068OC, GC.084, which are excellent razors. The Grande was that much better in balance, efficiency, and weight. It is solid brass and plated. There is also much excitement about Lo Storto the slant. I recently acquired but have not shaved with yet. You could probably have the two of them for less than a GC.

+1! Great recommendation! :clap: :clap:

You could purchase the entire FaTip line-up for less than the cost of a high-end SS.

This other thread might also be useful to you in determining your next razor:
Thanks. I had read that thread, but it seems the responses run the gamut. I guess as they do in this thread. In the end, I suppose it is a matter of three really good razors with slightly different traits that might appeal to different shavers. In other words, I probably can't go wrong. And for that reason, maybe I ought to just stick with the Rockwell and not worry about the small clutter of a couple of extra plates.

The GC suits my aesthetic tastes more than the other two, though, and I do think that affects me, regardless of whether I want it to.

+1! Great recommendation! :clap: :clap:

You could purchase the entire FaTip line-up for less than the cost of a high-end SS.
Well, I have been reading about the FaTip lineup, and it looks to me like the only one that would appeal to me is the Grande OC, which is indeed inexpensive. It's certainly under consideration. My fear is that I will wind up going down a rabbit hole and doing exactly what you say here, buying them all, as I've done with Semogue boars...sigh.

I use the Rockwell 6S with the #4 plate setting. It is a great shaver and was my first above $100 razor. I have 3 DE's right now: Blackland Blackbird, Timeless Ti 0.95 and the Rockwell. They all give me super shaves but the Rockwell, like you said, is definitely the clunkiest of the bunch. To me the Rockwell keeps up overall fairly well with the more expensive ones but the bulkiness can definitely be a turn-off.

If you are going for a razor that lasts and hits all the check boxes, may be ok to get the Timeless or the Blackbird. I know they cost more but they are really well made razors.

Might want to look into the Rex Envoy or Ambassador. I have the Envoy and it's at the upper limit for aggression, for me, but everyone is different.

I will give the GC .84P a try. If that doesn't work, I'll look at Karve or consider upping my price limit...or go with a vintage Tech and call it a day. Chasing it isn't fun anymore. Honestly, the Rockwell is a great razor and gave me a killer shave today. I guess I just want something a little nicer looking.

Top Bottom