What's new

New budget Simpson synthetic: Trafalgar

The Duke 3 synthetic doesn't get as much airtime on the Forum as the Chubby 2 but it is a really great brush.

1595250414117.png

How do you think the Duke 3 synthetic compares to the Chubby 1 synthetic?

Chubby 1 or 2? The Chubby 1 is obviously smaller with shorter loft. It's small but not that small, about the same as the Trafalgar T1. I like it a lot. The Duke 3 has the same 50mm loft as the Chubby 2 but because of the smaller knot size if feels longer, and smaller on the face. I like them all and they are all just that bit different from each other.

1595301291278.png

I need the T3 in my life............we will see though, I've already acquired three brushes this year, I have a tough time justifying money on a brush when it only gets used once a week or less sometimes. Idle money sitting tied up in a product doesn't sit well with me.

However that T3 appears to be a poor mans Chubby.

My T3 arrived today (yea!) but it doesn't fit my brush/razor stand... :sad:
Can someone who has a T3 tell me what the diameter of the waist is on this brush, please?

Thanks, in advance!

I recently purchased the T2 and it feels like the perfect size for me. I wear a beard so I only shave my neck, upper cheeks and under my lower lip. It looks to me like I would have a difficult time controlling where I want the lather and where I don’t with the T3. This is not a problem with the T2. It lathers very well with my soaps and creams in a bowl which is my preferred method. I have also discovered that I prefer synthetics to badger. I can’t stand pokey or scritchy. My neck skin is very sensitive and natural hairs feel like I am pre-irritating my skin before shaving. The soft and luxurious feeling of the T2 provides me with a very pleasant shaving experience. YMMV

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, the main reason why I got the T3 was to just have the entire Trafalgar Series on display on my shelves. Honestly, I thought it was way too big for my tastes, especially considering the knot diameter. But synthetics hold much less water compared to denser badgers and also behave differently. Hence, I was wrong and after the very fist shave the T3 felt simply "right". I love the T3 so much now that it has become my favourite in the Trafalgal Series.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
T3 in the house!

And it feels GREAT; just about as big as Yaqi Mysterious Space 26mm and the Techichi Hive 26mm... Yet those fit a 26mm wide stand. T3 does not, definitely 28mm or so.

AA

I’m retiring my worn badgers and going full synthetic. I’ve been using the Duke3 Platinum for a week and I’m very impressed. Yes hard to splay but I shove it into the tip of my chin to open it up. However these brushes are really best used in painting motion.

I now ordered the Chubby2, M7, and Classic1 Platinum collection. Also the Trafalgar1 to compare its Sovereign bristles to the similar size Classic1. I would think I will be adding the T2 and T3 soon. All this for the price of a Chubby3 badger, incredible. Then I’m set for life hopefully.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I’m retiring my worn badgers and going full synthetic. I’ve been using the Duke3 Platinum for a week and I’m very impressed. Yes hard to splay but I shove it into the tip of my chin to open it up. However these brushes are really best used in painting motion.

I now ordered the Chubby2, M7, and Classic1 Platinum collection. Also the Trafalgar1 to compare its Sovereign bristles to the similar size Classic1. I would think I will be adding the T2 and T3 soon. All this for the price of a Chubby3 badger, incredible. Then I’m set for life hopefully.
I use painting motion with all my brushes. Probably why I'm never bothered with "scritch".

You've inspired me to get out my T2 Trafalgar (not to be confused with the T2 Tulip super) for tomorrow's shave!
I've been on a badger and badger/boar mix streak for a long while.

Top Bottom