What's new

Stimulated Crowd Noise

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Who's been watching the English Premier League games on NBC and NBCSN with stimulated crowd noise? What do you think about it?

At first, I was nearly disgusted at the thought of simulated crowd noise. I imagined something like an unnatural laugh track. However, I must admit that they are doing it well (or, at least, in a manner that does not offend). It's subtle enough that it comes across as background noise, but it does add a little something at the right times. Not natural, but not bad.

Who's been watching the English Premier League games on NBC and NBCSN with stimulated crowd noise? What do you think about it?

At first, I was nearly disgusted at the thought of simulated crowd noise. I imagined something like an unnatural laugh track. However, I must admit that they are doing it well (or, at least, in a manner that does not offend). It's subtle enough that it comes across as background noise, but it does add a little something at the right times. Not natural, but not bad.
I don’t mind it. I haven’t even bothered listening to the broadcast without it. They do a pretty good job.

I have only watched one match, the Liverpool derby, since the PL resumed. The simulated crowd didn't bother me, the nil-nil definitely disappointed.

When the commentary annoys me, I will mute games, so silent broadcast soccer is not a problem. While the NBC PL commentary is often meaningless chatter, it is not as aggressively uninformed as the majority of commentary by US natives.

I definitely enjoy hearing them talk though.

as an aside,my family just watched Sunderland till we die on netflix. after the leeds and mancity documentaries on amazon. So good.

It was strange for the games without any crowd noise at first. Interesting to hear the players shouting to each other. I’ve gotten used to the fake crowd noise.
The timing is a little off sometimes, as you would expect. A shot, or a ball hits the post and the guys a little slow on the “loud” button.
Oh. It’s simulated by the way.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I guess the MLB is going to use the fake noise too. I suppose they need something to mute the curse words. No one on the field is shy about speaking their mind.

I watched some inter-squad play the other day. How weird is that! It was silent except for the commentators. I think they do need something to break up the silence and make it more exciting.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
We now have a few Premier League matches on free to air television here in the UK. I do not mind the simulated crowd noise. After all this time the biggest surprise for me has been how utterly dull and poor quality the matches have been. Maybe I have become disenfranchised with the obscene money in football (soccer) and sports in general, or perhaps recent events have given me a different perspective on what is important to me and what is not. I have lost all interest in football and do not wish to devote any more of my time or money to it. Now it has returned to our screens I have realised that I did not miss it when it was gone and I no longer give a damn about it. I will never return to following or watching football in the way that I did before.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I suppose they need something to mute the curse words. No one on the field is shy about speaking their mind.

aaaaaaand, here is the real reason we'll end up getting all the canned crowd noises.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe for the hockey games, they'll go back to hanging mics over the ice so we can hear the players haha.

In regards to the original questions I say the crowd noise adds a better feel. I prefer the EPL broadcasts to the Italian Serie A ones that do not use the background track (watching on my DAZN account). But sports in general have lost their appeal to me and this is coming from a former addict of everything sport. They feel like practice without the fans and something seems to be missing. I am waiting to see if my opinion changes once the NBA, NHL, and MLB start up again. It feels more like it the games are played only to please the sponsors & owners and not fans.

I don’t mind it, but It doesnt feel right when i see nobody in the stands.

They need to take a page from Daytona and repaint the seats to look like they are full of fans.

proxy.php

It just felt like it was missing a little something what with the banners and canned crowd. So I invented "simulated hooligans". Well, really it's just an old softball pitching machine behind the telly set on a random timer. Every 7 to 20 minutes it throws a piece of stadium detritus at me. It's not quite like being there, but it'll keep you on your toes ;-)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I guess the MLB is going to use the fake noise too. I suppose they need something to mute the curse words. No one on the field is shy about speaking their mind.

I thought I heard that they are actually going to blare the simulated crowd noise in the stadium, in part to cover up strategy discussions from the other team's ears.

When it comes to the EPL, the simulated crowd noise only is on the broadcast--the players don't hear it.

After all this time the biggest surprise for me has been how utterly dull and poor quality the matches have been.

The quality was especially poor at the beginning of the restart. I can't imagine how difficult it was for the players to lay off all that time only to come back to empty, quiet stadia. How tough was it to get over the feeling that it's just a warm-up friendly?

As long as it isnt the vuvezula sound, i’m good. Watched a recent replay of one of those games and so glad that didnt become a thing.

I don't understand how any Yank could be offended by the simulated crowd noise. They've been adding fake crowd noise to NFL broadcasts for years!

Top Bottom