What's new

Way too much soap

Anyone else wondered, while using a lump of soap that never seems to change, just how long your current supply will last?

I bought a bunch of stuff a couple years ago, and made some, then made some more, and at the rate I'm using it up I'll probably never buy or make any more shaving soap -- I don't expect to live more than 40 or so more years at the most and suspect I won't have used up what I have by then!

Peter

I don't know. 20 years maybe? Less if I load like a fool. More if I skimp?

I'd have less, but when Palmolive stopped making sticks I had to stock up, and I like the Cella brick soap so I bought the Kilo brick. Just counting it up - I guess I have a kilo of each. I mean, right there... that has to be about a decade, right? People say the Cella brick is 4 years worth and sticks last a lot longer than croap.

I suspect that if I added all of my soaps together right now, that I would have under 5 oz. Just the way I like it. I find the idea of dying with a big stash of soap in a drawer depressing some how.

We just got two new kittens and the other day I was thinking that there is a pretty good chance that they will outlive me. Kind of sobering.

I spent 2015 through 2020 knocking down my soap and cream stash from over 50 to a much more manageable 4-5, consisting of Williams for the spring and summer, MWF for the winter, CBL Tonsorial for when I have a vintage Williams itch but don't want to break out a vintage puck, and a Stirling seasonal for autumn and Christmastime. :yesnod:

Hell I've got soaps in one brand that smell almost exactly like a soap from another brand. For example, I've currently got both Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars and Chiseled Face Guy Noir, both of which smell nearly identical except the Guy Noir is slightly more boozy with the cognac than the C&CC is (the Guy Noir is too boozy imo, but would be perfect for those who like that alcohol sweetness).

That's where I draw the line though. When I have two soaps or aftershaves that are nearly identical in scent, I set down with a drink or a bowl and start to compare the two. At some point in my inebriation I have a moment of clarity and immediately know which of the two I should keep. It's amazing how often that works out.

Except when it comes to Colonia style scents. I'm a sucker for those and keep them all.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I bought 5+ years of soaps/creams in 3 months. Hummm. Only ways to stop is : leave the forum, leave Paypal, gives my wife my credit cards. Or become an hippie and stop shaving. Otherwise if I do the maths in 2-3 years I'll have 2 lifetimes of stocks.
Hilarious......same. Stockpiled some really nice soaps in a few months. I had a serious beard for the last 10 years, so I’m making up for lost time. It’s great fun!

I don't know. 20 years maybe? Less if I load like a fool. More if I skimp?

I'd have less, but when Palmolive stopped making sticks I had to stock up, and I like the Cella brick soap so I bought the Kilo brick. Just counting it up - I guess I have a kilo of each. I mean, right there... that has to be about a decade, right? People say the Cella brick is 4 years worth and sticks last a lot longer than croap.

I reckon you are from UK? Palmolive is still producing sticks, there is just no export to the island. Here on mainland we have plenty.

Top Bottom