What's new

New/Upgrade DE

with your adjustables I was thinking you have all the different levels of aggression covered maybe it's time to try a slant Merkur 37c, 39c, or razorock german 37, or more expensive is the razorock wunderbar.

I don’t have adjustables. I consider the 23C my only one.

The Weishi, to me, is crap for the shave and will be donated to a colleague who was looking to start. I only bought that to see how I’d like the butterfly and if I lost it on travel wouldn’t care.

I do agree. I have over 50 safety razors, mostly vintage but also some modern. The 6S never fails, has numerous adjustments, and isn’t particular about the blade model....they all seem to perform well.

My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yes, I was think the S if I end up with the 6.

The getrockwell site won’t load for me. How does 2 and 4 compare? For example is it a distance change between 1-3 to the 2 and 4, and then 2 is not as aggressive an angle as the 4?

Same. I found the 6s to be big and bulky. The head looked like some kind of industrial part rather than a finely crafted stainless razor. It shaved well, but I need a little more out of my razors. And it is hard to fit that bulbous razor head under the nose. At the end of the day, it got spit out the back of the pack, and I sold it. The GC series is miles ahead of the 6s in every way for me.

I keep the full goatee permanently so no under nose issues but thanks, I didn’t think of the added bulk with the flippable.

One of the reasons I was looking at adjustable (Progress) is that it would let me determine how aggressive I wanted or liked. That would help determine the GC 68 or 84.

Does anyone know how the Weishi (https://www.amazon.com/Weishi-Nostalgic-Handle-Butterfly-Double/dp/B00PKHIDRA) and the 23 compare? If the Weishi is more aggressive then I don’t really like that. But I’m thinking it’s more because it’s cheap crap. Also, if I’m not mistaken the 23c is 30 degrees and the Weishi 45 degrees.

$99 gets you a Blackland Dart. That's considered a high end razor at an affordable price. I can only speak to the handle as I bought the handle for my Timeless to reduce the weight of the stainless steel razor, but I know some of the fellas that have posted here have experience with the actual razor itself.

Why would you do that to me? Went to look at that and saw the blackbird. Lol. I wished they had tighter tolerances on the machined version (my OCD would have me fudging with it); polished is too shiny.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Why would you do that to me? Went to look at that and saw the blackbird. Lol. I wished they had tighter tolerances on the machined version (my OCD would have me fudging with it); polished is too shiny.

I'm sorry, comrade. It's a beautiful razor. You can search the forums on it and get a lot of review info. I use the Dart handle on my Timeless so I can't say how it shaves. Nice handle though!

Good luck in your search! And like my Dad use to tell me..."Don't settle...select!"

Never owned a weishi, but they are said to be extremely mild. The 23c will be a step up in aggressiveness, but more closer to a mild-medium level. If you don't mind chinese razors perhaps you could get the mingshi 2000s(also called qshave sometimes) adjustable it's a merkur futur copy can be had for very cheap can get from aliexpress, or some usa vendors stock them as well like amazon and maggards.

Never owned a weishi, but they are said to be extremely mild. The 23c will be a step up in aggressiveness, but more closer to a mild-medium level. If you don't mind chinese razors perhaps you could get the mingshi 2000s(also called qshave sometimes) adjustable it's a merkur futur copy can be had for very cheap can get from aliexpress, or some usa vendors stock them as well like amazon and maggards.

Thanks. If it’s milder than the 23c, and that I don’t like it, I’m going to stay away from Chinese versions of things moving forward.

Thanks. When I went to the site it Tatara is the brand, masamune is the model, nodachi is the long handle. It looks nice but the Japanese name on a Portuguese product turned me off.
No that's not right. Tatara is the brand, Masamune and Masamune Nodachi are models. They haven't named their handles as far as I know.

No that's not right. Tatara is the brand, Masamune and Masamune Nodachi are models. They haven't named their handles as far as I know.

Nodachi or ōdachi traditionally refers to the sword used by the Samurai class in feudal Japan. This is the long sword (longer than the tachi) that was more difficult to make than the katana. The nodachi added to the masume model name means it’s the long handle version.

For perspective, if you’ve watched a Samurai movie, they have three or four swords (depended on period, class, etc). The small dagger (tanto), the medium (wakizashi), the long (tachi or katana), the very long (nodachi, odachi or Jin tachi).

Nodachi or ōdachi traditionally refers to the sword used by the Samurai class in feudal Japan. This is the long sword (longer than the tachi) that was more difficult to make than the katana. The nodachi added to the masume model name means it’s the long handle version.

For perspective, if you’ve watched a Samurai movie, they have three or four swords (depended on period, class, etc). The small dagger (tanto), the medium (wakizashi), the long (tachi or katana), the very long (nodachi, odachi or Jin tachi).
The Masumane Nodachi does have a longer handle but it’s a different model to the Masumane with different blade gap and exposure, not just the same razor with a longer handle.

I am a big fan of the Rockwell 6c as a first or second razor. One, it's affordable. Two, it's adjustable/customizable so you can explore from mild to somewhat aggressive. Plate 6 on a Rockwell is too mild for many, too aggressive for some. I settled on the Rockwell 4 as my favorite fwiw. Three, because it's popular, if you ever want to try a third razor, if you have a favorite of the 1-6 plates, knowing that can help guide you more towards what you want. For example, if you said I like my Rockwell on 4 but am looking for something more efficient, you might go, hey, that Gamechanger 84 is spot on! My final point about the Rockwell is that I often give it as gifts to people. So, I'm a fan.

With that said, I think the Karve is a higher quality razor. Grabbing a Karve with a B and/or C safety bar plate(s) is something to consider. The Rockwell is my travel razor, the Karve used to be my clear favorite in the den. I recently got a Wolfman, so the Karve is feeling jealous right now.

I was not enamored of the Merkur Progress, but ymmv (to be fair, I have not tried it in three years).

Good luck!

I am a big fan of the Rockwell 6c as a first or second razor. One, it's affordable. Two, it's adjustable/customizable so you can explore from mild to somewhat aggressive. Plate 6 on a Rockwell is too mild for many, too aggressive for some. I settled on the Rockwell 4 as my favorite fwiw. Three, because it's popular, if you ever want to try a third razor, if you have a favorite of the 1-6 plates, knowing that can help guide you more towards what you want. For example, if you said I like my Rockwell on 4 but am looking for something more efficient, you might go, hey, that Gamechanger 84 is spot on! My final point about the Rockwell is that I often give it as gifts to people. So, I'm a fan.

With that said, I think the Karve is a higher quality razor. Grabbing a Karve with a B and/or C safety bar plate(s) is something to consider. The Rockwell is my travel razor, the Karve used to be my clear favorite in the den. I recently got a Wolfman, so the Karve is feeling jealous right now.

I was not enamored of the Merkur Progress, but ymmv (to be fair, I have not tried it in three years).

Good luck!

That makes sense. Congrats on the Wolfman. Really nice but I think once I figure out how aggressive I like it before going up in quality like that. The 23c already gives me a really smooth cut after a shower so I think I definitely need an adjustable at this point. I’m leaning towards the 6c (plan on figuring things out, then getting the upgrade) but will do another compare with the progress first.

It looks nice but the Japanese name on a Portuguese product turned me off.

The people behind tatara told their story on their website of how they were all fans of the samurai culture and their swords and so they used samurai terminology for the names of their models. They also liken the special finish and appearance of it to the pearlescent glimmer of the blade of the swords made by the greatest japanese swordsmith of all, Masamune.

So there is a reason for the japanese names and it is not just a passing affectation.

(It is ironic that Feather that is a purely japanese manufacturer used functional names for their razor models instead of japanese names.)

As a user of the masamune razor, i can attest to the great quality of the fit and finish and the sheer beauty of the razor as well as its ease of use and performance. It does not look like any other razor unlike many of the razors being sold on the market.

23c already gives me a really smooth cut after a shower
I have the 23C, a 6C and a 6S.

As far as I know, Merkur don't publish technical specs, but the 23C feels rather like a Rockwell R3, or maybe between an R2 and R3.

I preferred R4 for a long time, but the R5 plus Astra SP is, for now at least, the perfect shave. The bulky head, which I was expecting to really annoy me, doesn't give me trouble.

That being said, and since the Rockwell gaps are

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

...I am now getting very interested in a Razorock Gamechanger 0.68... ;)

The people behind tatara told their story on their website of how they were all fans of the samurai culture and their swords and so they used samurai terminology for the names of their models. They also liken the special finish and appearance of it to the pearlescent glimmer of the blade of the swords made by the greatest japanese swordsmith of all, Masamune.

So there is a reason for the japanese names and it is not just a passing affectation.

(It is ironic that Feather that is a purely japanese manufacturer used functional names for their razor models instead of japanese names.)

As a user of the masamune razor, i can attest to the great quality of the fit and finish and the sheer beauty of the razor as well as its ease of use and performance. It does not look like any other razor unlike many of the razors being sold on the market.

Another point that occurs to me as to why a Japanese manufacturer might find it not suitable to use Japanese names for their razors is because for their own market it may end up becoming confusing unless they choose a person's name in ther language. For example if feather had named the as-d2 "nodachi" it would be tantamount to a American or canadian or English manufacturer naming their razor "Japanse style Great Sword" which would sound strange and even unintentionally humorous to an english speaker. However when it is using a foreign word it does not impart that meaning to an English speaker

Mabe look at the Fatip Gentile. Great performing razor that won't cost an arm and a leg. I like mine. Shaves a bit more efficiently than my merkur 34C.

Another point that occurs to me as to why a Japanese manufacturer might find it not suitable to use Japanese names for their razors is because for their own market it may end up becoming confusing unless they choose a person's name in ther language. For example if feather had named the as-d2 "nodachi" it would be tantamount to a American or canadian or English manufacturer naming their razor "Japanse style Great Sword" which would sound strange and even unintentionally humorous to an english speaker. However when it is using a foreign word it does not impart that meaning to an English speaker

I get their being fans, but being a Bushi aficionado, I actually get the meanings so it does sound funny to me. I guess I’ve become a bit prejudiced because of all the misuse and misinterpretations over the years. By the way, The Met (NYC) had a really nice exhibition 10 or so years ago).

As for the fit and finish, it looks nice, but as eaglesgift pointed out the exposure and gap is different, not only between the models, but even the changes based on the comb being open or closed, which means I need to figure out what fits me before I can look there.

I do wish there were places other than the Art of Shaving overpriced crap stores to get hands on with things.

Top Bottom