What's new

Badger & Blade Weight Loss Thread

It's been 3 months since I started my weight loss efforts and I'm now down 30 lbs! The weight loss is so gradual that I was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem like I looked that different visually but then I saw a video of myself from 4 months ago. Now I can see a difference! My next goal is to move from "obese" to "overweight" according to the BMI charts. That magic number is at 220 lbs. If I can keep up my current pace that should be some time around late July/early August.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The weight loss is so gradual that I was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem like I looked that different visually but then I saw a video of myself from 4 months ago. Now I can see a difference!
It's also nice when your clothes point out the changes.

It's also nice when your clothes point out the changes.

So true! The transition from cold weather to hot weather was usually a shaming experience when I couldn't fit into any of my shorts. This year my "fat" shorts are way too big and other shorts that used to be too small or snug now fit or are a little loose.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So true! The transition from cold weather to hot weather was usually a shaming experience when I couldn't fit into any of my shorts. This year my "fat" shorts are way too big and other shorts that used to be too small or snug now fit or are a little loose.

Ain't that a great feeling?

Don't spend a lot of money on clothes until your body settles into its "new normal" though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My summer clothes sadly are all too tight. I need to push away from the table.

I married a VERY good cook, so I blame her.

Afraid to weigh myself for the next few days. The 4th of July weekend was a whirlwind of bad decisions. Meat, beer, more meat, more beer, and more beer.

@MementoMori - Alocohol is a real killer when it comes to the calorie budget for the day! The two cans of Fat Tire ale I enjoyed totaled 300 calories. That's 17% of my allowance for the whole day. (but so worth it!) It takes a bit of discipline to stop at two!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

173 today (so in the wrong direction!): need to be more careful with the calories during lockdown!!
I've got you beat, but I still hit my lowest in a LONG time this AM: 175.4 lbs. I really NEED to get back to 145..... I am 6' in my socks, but all my FAT is in my spare trunk. Muscle mass poor, lungs and heart fighting it out to prove which one is in worse shape, lol!

145 was where I was my healthiest. I appreciate you guys holding me accountable my friends! Dave

FarmerTan

@MementoMori - Alocohol is a real killer when it comes to the calorie budget for the day! The two cans of Fat Tire ale I enjoyed totaled 300 calories. That's 17% of my allowance for the whole day. (but so worth it!) It takes a bit of discipline to stop at two!
I didn't drink for 30 years, and limit myself to one/day. Lol, medicinal purposes: I've had ZERO kidney stones since I started back.

Weight loss will reduce your BP.
Yeah, git after that stress my friend. Lol, I'm retired, I refuse stress. But when I was Nursing for a living I gave it all I had and it nearly killed me.

The weight loss HAD helped and enabled me to get of my regular BP but the additional stress caused it to spike.

Ive since been to the doctor a few times and have restarted the BP medication and they upped my depression/anxiety meds.

Just got home from my last follow up. A few weeks ago my depression/anxiety test score was 11. Today it was 3 (low scores better) and my BP is normal again.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The weight loss HAD helped and enabled me to get of my regular BP but the additional stress caused it to spike.

Ive since been to the doctor a few times and have restarted the BP medication and they upped my depression/anxiety meds.

Just got home from my last follow up. A few weeks ago my depression/anxiety test score was 11. Today it was 3 (low scores better) and my BP is normal again.
Good going. I’ve lost over 80 pounds in the past year and am off both BP meds. I was on anti depressants for about 20 years and went to an Endocrinologist for low T and tests showed my Thyroid was low. Taking care of that cured my depression and anxiety. I’m about 90% carnivore now and only eat when I’m hungry which usually works out to once a day. Nutrition is a pretty amazing thing. Better living through lard 😂.

FarmerTan

Good going. I’ve lost over 80 pounds in the past year and am off both BP meds. I was on anti depressants for about 20 years and went to an Endocrinologist for low T and tests showed my Thyroid was low. Taking care of that cured my depression and anxiety. I’m about 90% carnivore now and only eat when I’m hungry which usually works out to once a day. Nutrition is a pretty amazing thing. Better living through lard 😂.
Well, good for BOTH of you. I have some kind of controversial views of the endocrine system, from my years with patients as a nurse, and studying their lab reports. Suffice it to say that it looks like youse guys are doing fine!

I was down (this AM) BELOW 175 lbs today!

I have GOT to do this: because I know better, and if I wanna have any chance to see grandbabies and stay off meds for sugar levels.

I wish my lovely War Department didn't cook so well!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, good for BOTH of you. I have some kind of controversial views of the endocrine system, from my years with patients as a nurse, and studying their lab reports. Suffice it to say that it looks like youse guys are doing fine!

I was down (this AM) BELOW 175 lbs today!

I have GOT to do this: because I know better, and if I wanna have any chance to see grandbabies and stay off meds for sugar levels.

I wish my lovely War Department didn't cook so well!
Thank you. I feel so much better - 71 years old and I have no pains (except sometimes the wife). Grains have a higher glycemic index than sugar so think that one over 😆.
I’ve gotten heavily into nutritional research which is difficult since I have no biochem background (degree in English) but something to look into very seriously is Linoleic acid. More and more studies seem to be finding that as the primary cause of hyperglycemia and the root of almost all chronic diseases. Seems vegetable (seed) oils are oxidative, inflammatory, toxic and possibly carcinogenic. Interestingly, the College of Cardiologists of America actually published a study on saturated fats and recommended removing all restrictions. Amazing 😉.

FarmerTan

Thank you. I feel so much better - 71 years old and I have no pains (except sometimes the wife). Grains have a higher glycemic index than sugar so think that one over 😆.
I’ve gotten heavily into nutritional research which is difficult since I have no biochem background (degree in English) but something to look into very seriously is Linoleic acid. More and more studies seem to be finding that as the primary cause of hyperglycemia and the root of almost all chronic diseases. Seems vegetable (seed) oils are oxidative, inflammatory, toxic and possibly carcinogenic. Interestingly, the College of Cardiologists of America actually published a study on saturated fats and recommended removing all restrictions. Amazing 😉.
Amen. It is amazing how little training in nutrition that health care folks get.

OK - I'm in.

I was 244 until beginning weight loss a few years ago. I made it down to about 188 and then I let the Wuhan thing get the best of me - not the bug itself, mind you. I let the spinners of narratives and tellers of tales and mongers of fear and destroyers of history lure me into spending too much time stressing out and sitting and following the news cycle and not enough time living my life. As a result, I'm back up to 214. Two days ago I vowed to let our incompetent Governor and her lackeys pound sand and get back to living and moving about and enjoying myself. I've had enough bread and circuses to last a lifetime and the only good part of this is having spent time reflecting on how I feel about oh so many things. The end conclusion of this experiment in Tom Foolery is that I now know for absolute certain that the best I can do is to live a good life, to be there for my loved ones instead of ceaselessly watching fools read the news -- to always let common sense guide my actions -- and to never ever miss any opportunity to vote - ever - ever - ever - for the rest of my life. Lesson learned. Back to living.

Begun: July 7th, 2020 @ 214.2 lbs.

Goal: 185 lbs.

Timeframe: When it happens - probably 8 to 10 months if my previous rate of loss holds up.

Method:
- 16 hour fasts at night (no eating or snacking past 7:30pm or before 11:30am)
- No beer at all. Whiskey and/or Wine on Saturday only - two drink maximum.
- No processed sugar. No "Wonder" bread (or equivalent). Milk products sparingly - preferring hard cheeses.
- Get as much clean protein and greens as possible. Butter is OK. Avocado & Olive & Grapeseed oil are OK.
- Get out. Move around. Live. Work in the yard. Work on the house. When in doubt, move about.
- Get good sleep - I was astounded at how important this turned out to be in my initial weight loss.
- In summary - extend one middle finger toward Salem and another toward Portland City Hall and get back to living.

Top Bottom