What's new

YouTubeTV get off my lawn!

I'm feeling like an old man in a crotchety mood

Just got an email from YouTubeTV notifying me they are increasing prices yet again

When it was introduced they were $35/mo and was a cheap alternative to cable

Shortly after it went to $40/mo but not a biggie

Last year they jumped it up to $50/mo an I was annoyed but while not cheap it was a reasonable alternative to cable

Today they announced it's going to $65/mo and I cancelled my service. They are now the most expensive streaming service and almost double of what they charged not that long ago

I'm feeling like an old man in a crotchety mood

Just got an email from YouTubeTV notifying me they are increasing prices yet again

When it was introduced they were $35/mo and was a cheap alternative to cable

Shortly after it went to $40/mo but not a biggie

Last year they jumped it up to $50/mo an I was annoyed but while not cheap it was a reasonable alternative to cable

Today they announced it's going to $65/mo and I cancelled my service. They are now the most expensive streaming service and almost double of what they charged not that long ago
That almost sounds like Storage Locker places. They offer a great introductory rate. So you pile all your stuff in and then the rate rises very frequently figuring it’s easier to pay another $5, or $10 or $20 a month instead of moving.
i moved the stuff out!!!!

I’m still saving money at $65 using YouTube TV over Comcast. If Comcast wouldn’t charge $10 per box rental for each tv they wouldn’t be too bad. Yes, the $65 stinks but there are a lot of benefits as well (unlimited dvr is huge, watching anywhere is great as well).

I mainly use it to watch sports. I occasionally use the DVR but it tends to just be things I think “I’ll get around to watching that someday” but never do.

I was on Sling before and the additional channels of YouTubeTV were nice when the price was similar but I’d say around here our viewing is 80% Netflix, Prime, and Hulu, 5% Disney+, and 15% YouTubeTV.

Of that 15% at least 90% is me watching sports or my kids watching old episodes of Pokémon.

With sports up in the air I’ll probably just not replace it and save that money unless UK basketball comes on. That’s worth getting Sling for 😉

That almost sounds like Storage Locker places. They offer a great introductory rate. So you pile all your stuff in and then the rate rises very frequently figuring it’s easier to pay another $5, or $10 or $20 a month instead of moving.
i moved the stuff out!!!!

Yeah. I had a similar situation with my newspaper delivery. I had gotten daily copies of the local newspaper ever since I moved here 20 years ago. Every year they would bump up the price. I would call them and threaten to cancel. They would knock the price back down. Then they increased the price twice in one year. I called to cancel. They agreed to give me my existing price, but I told the customer service agent that I was tired of having to call every time they had a price increase. Almost in tears, she begged me not to cancel. She tried to get me to keep Sunday deliver only. I realize newspapers are having a tough time with loss of customers and loss of ad revenue, but when their solution is to screw over the loyal customers you do have, it is no wonder they are going out of business.

I always enjoyed reading the newspaper every morning. However, now that it is gone, I find that I really don't miss it. My wife used to do the crossword puzzle and Soduku every day. Now she does several a day on a tablet for free.

I'm considering just dumping everything. Cable is outrageously expensive. No streaming service carries all the shows I like, so I would end up having to use multiple services, and that gets expensive, and defeats the purpose of dumping cable.
They charge for basic, non-HD service, then upcharge for HD. Then they add all the other garbage no one uses, like the streaming channels, and tell you they are giving them to you for 'free'.
I'm just sick of it.
Oh, and now services are getting 'woke' (like netflix and Disney), and that is more annoying than paying for cable.

Yeah. I had a similar situation with my newspaper delivery. I had gotten daily copies of the local newspaper ever since I moved here 20 years ago. Every year they would bump up the price. I would call them and threaten to cancel. They would knock the price back down. Then they increased the price twice in one year. I called to cancel. They agreed to give me my existing price, but I told the customer service agent that I was tired of having to call every time they had a price increase. Almost in tears, she begged me not to cancel. She tried to get me to keep Sunday deliver only. I realize newspapers are having a tough time with loss of customers and loss of ad revenue, but when their solution is to screw over the loyal customers you do have, it is no wonder they are going out of business.

I always enjoyed reading the newspaper every morning. However, now that it is gone, I find that I really don't miss it. My wife used to do the crossword puzzle and Soduku every day. Now she does several a day on a tablet for free.
I go through the same exercise annually with the Chicago Tribune and I’ve been a subscriber 40+ years. They send an increase, I call and say lower it back or I’m canceling and they always retract the increase.
The irony of it is the paper keeps shrinking. Charge more at the same time giving you less.

I'm considering just dumping everything. Cable is outrageously expensive. No streaming service carries all the shows I like, so I would end up having to use multiple services, and that gets expensive, and defeats the purpose of dumping cable.
They charge for basic, non-HD service, then upcharge for HD. Then they add all the other garbage no one uses, like the streaming channels, and tell you they are giving them to you for 'free'.
I'm just sick of it.
Oh, and now services are getting 'woke' (like netflix and Disney), and that is more annoying than paying for cable.

The thing that really ticks me off about cable service is that I live in the Chicago area where we have professional teams for every sport. I might watch one or two games a year, but I have to pay a monthly fee for access, even though I do not use it. Now that sports have become a political, I won't be watching any sports in the forseeable future. Even when sports were canceled due to coronavirus, the monthly fee continued. What a rip-off. I also have to pay for local TV station access, although I never watch any of the local channels. The only reason I have not dumped Comcast completely is that I love their Internet service. I get over 200 Mbps downloads which is great for streaming music and videos.

The thing that really ticks me off about cable service is that I live in the Chicago area where we have professional teams for every sport. I might watch one or two games a year, but I have to pay a monthly fee for access, even though I do not use it. Now that sports have become a political, I won't be watching any sports in the forseeable future. Even when sports were canceled due to coronavirus, the monthly fee continued. What a rip-off. I also have to pay for local TV station access, although I never watch any of the local channels. The only reason I have not dumped Comcast completely is that I love their Internet service. I get over 200 Mbps downloads which is great for streaming music and videos.
And just think if you were a Cub fan you’d have to pay for a subscription to the Cubs new channel called Marque TV. Comcast will still carry the Sox , Bulls and Hawks for no additional charge. You could get an outdoor antenna and pick up Chicago Tv signals for free and just take Comcast Internet service.
i think you can get a very basic cable tv package without the Chicago Sports teams.

And just think if you were a Cub fan you’d have to pay for a subscription to the Cubs new channel called Marque TV. Comcast will still carry the Sox , Bulls and Hawks for no additional charge. You could get an outdoor antenna and pick up Chicago Tv signals for free and just take Comcast Internet service.
i think you can get a very basic cable tv package without the Chicago Sports teams.

The problem is that I live 50 miles from the TV antennas in the Chicago loop. Thus, I would have to have a directional Yagi type roof mounted antenna and rotor to pick up the local signals. Although permitted by HOA covenants, there is not a single outdoor TV antenna anywhere in my subdivision. There are a few satellite dishes.

I pay the $9.95 a month for YouTube Premium, which includes no ads and YouTube Music, which I don't use since I buy my music via iTunes.

I did the two week or 30 day trial just to watch the Cobra Kai series and after no ads, there was no going back.

Thanks for posting this thread though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for price increases.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm just sick of it.

Said this MANY times. Currently we have Amazon Prime and Netflix. I am holding the line at TWO services. We cancelled Disney+ after our free month. Even with Marvel, there isn't enough content with the Mouse to keep me interested.

I pay the $9.95 a month for YouTube Premium, which includes no ads and YouTube Music, which I don't use since I buy my music via iTunes.

I did the two week or 30 day trial just to watch the Cobra Kai series and after no ads, there was no going back.

Thanks for posting this thread though, I'll keep my eyes peeled for price increases.

There's a newish web browser called: AVG secure browser that I stumbled across and downloaded. It's all I use now especially to watch Youtube via my computer. It automatically blocks all those annoying ads, I never noticed it was doing it at first but clued in after a day or two and it's been great, you don't have to pay $9.95 :biggrin1:

There's a newish web browser called: AVG secure browser that I stumbled across and downloaded. It's all I use now especially to watch Youtube via my computer. It automatically blocks all those annoying ads, I never noticed it was doing it at first but clued in after a day or two and it's been great, you don't have to pay $9.95 :biggrin1:
Hey thank you kindly! Sounds like I should check that out [emoji846]

The problem is that I live 50 miles from the TV antennas in the Chicago loop. Thus, I would have to have a directional Yagi type roof mounted antenna and rotor to pick up the local signals. Although permitted by HOA covenants, there is not a single outdoor TV antenna anywhere in my subdivision. There are a few satellite dishes.
I’m only 15 miles from the loop. If the cable goes out I just watch tv with the outside antenna on my roof. The high def reception is actually better from the over the air antenna than Comcast.

I’m only 15 miles from the loop. If the cable goes out I just watch tv with the outside antenna on my roof. The high def reception is actually better from the over the air antenna than Comcast.

When you watch TV over the air you are getting the pure signal from the station. When you watch via Comcast or other cable provider, they compress the signal to reduce the bandwidth required to transmit the signal through their network. Thus, OTA will always be higher quality than cable. It is like listening to an MP3 compared to a flac file.

Said this MANY times. Currently we have Amazon Prime and Netflix. I am holding the line at TWO services. We cancelled Disney+ after our free month. Even with Marvel, there isn't enough content with the Mouse to keep me interested.

My daughter and her boyfriend pay for D+. She was nice enough to let me use her log in for it and created my own sub-account so I could see the Mando series. Aside from that, I watched TLJ which was not very good. Waiting on TRoSw so I can say I've seen all the SW movies, but I'm wholly unimpressed with the series, aside from the original trilogy. And while some of the added footage in the 'remastered' original trilogy was pretty cool (the Falcon taking off from Mos Eisley and a few of the cut scenes in Mos Eisley), most of it was useless fluff.

I did revisit Tron, which I think is still as good as it was back when it first came out.

Top Bottom