What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I know we have a similar thread in the general shaving section but I felt there was a need for one particularly using SR's (that includes shavette style razors).

SR shavers normally have a longer learning curve. I know I do. Even after over 150 SR shaves, I'm still learning with every shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A second progression through diamond pasted balsa strops can further improve a Method edge blade.

But surely there must be a sharpness/keenness level where further improvements are not noticable during the shave "test"?

Im sure it exists. I just haven’t been there yet. Very short chin hair seems to be impossible no mater how taught the skin, no matter how light the touch, no matter the angle. Yet, a DE levels it effortlessly.

I’m starting to do 100-200 finishing laps each week to see whether it’s a sharpness issue or me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is a YMMV.......

extra time spent during bevel setting on my new razor was time well spent. zero pressure weight of the blade only by the end.

either it's just another anomaly of the steel, maker, period, etc......or this extra time produced a smoother feeling blade to me. it will be difficult to determine which variable is responsible.

either way......noticeably smooth blade.

camo

Great idea for a thread,

Today I have a feeling I can honestly say I’ve learned more from my straight Razor shave than anyone else in here.

Today was my first shave with a straight razor. I bought the thing in Feb from the bay, sent it for honing and just got it back this morning.

At first I couldn’t get it to glide, it seemed to want to skip and I was hesitant in my movements. I adjusted the angle to bring the spine closer to my neck and brought it down my neck with resolve and it slid right down, close and smooth. I did the rest of the left side of my neck then switched the razor to my left hand. Took a couple of “practice swings” to check my angle then got the same smooth close result.

I did 1 pass with the grain and got passable results. Finished up with my ‘64 slim and my neck feels fine, no irritation, no burn most importantly no blood!

Very happy with my first Straight Razor shave and am looking forward to giving it another go tomorrow.
10A75220-9997-4E38-9FE2-11A7DE899D06.jpeg

Lapped my blade on my 12K Naniwa for about an hour last night and it did shave much nicer. Did only 10 laps on linen and leather trying not to contact either, just enough pressure to get an audible.

I’m thinking as light as I stropped in the last, it might have been too heavy and too much. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After yesterday morning's shave, I decided to tide up my shaving gear a bit. Having not need my alum stick for well over a month, I put it away in a draw in my bedroom.

I must have been getting a bit too c**k-sure of myself. This morning I gave myself a small nick on my lip, right corner of my mouth. Out came the alum stick again!

Lesson learned. Always keep the alum stick handy and respect that edge.

Last edited:
I used my Rigarazor today. This razor is big and heavy. It came with a wicked edge that hasn't lost an iota of sharpness. And it's got an aggressive, unmuted French point. Essentially I'm am terrified of this razor every time I pick it up.

But I learned again today that with care and focus, even the most frightening blades can deliver a great shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I used my Rigarazor today. This razor is big and heavy. It came with a wicked edge that hasn't lost an iota of sharpness. And it's got an aggressive, unmuted French point. Essentially I'm am terrified of this razor every time I pick it up.

But I learned again today that with care and focus, even the most frightening blades can deliver a great shave.
I often shave with this Spanish point. You get better at it the more you use it.
IMG_20200628_102206.jpg
Also great for shaving inside of the ears and nostrils 😁.

alpaca manure did not make my whiskers grow any faster.

on the hunt for another species that might have good effect.

the hunt continues.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
alpaca manure did not make my whiskers grow any faster.

on the hunt for another species that might have good effect.

the hunt continues.

camo
Interesting. We don't have Alpacas here in the Philippines. I hope you find something that works for you.

Fresh goat manure should work for you. It's rather hard so first crush it up and mix with seawater into a paste. The trick is to leave your manure face pack on overnight. This allows all the goodness to leach into the hair follicles.

In the morning, just rinse off well with chilled seawater and then start you normally shave routine.

Top Bottom