What's new

Help with Personna blades

Is Personna Blue and Platinum the same? I see different vendors selling them with similar photos but want to make sure.

Also, what is a good place to buy Personna Med Prep blades from?

Thanks.

^He's right.

Lab Blues and Med Preps are made in the USA (and might even be the same blade) while the Reds are Israeli.

Amazon has all three available.
Hey Shane @Blackland Razors. Thanks for replying. Basically the blades I am mainly interested in are the ones that I got with the Blackbird.

Based on what @Mike M mentioned, the ones below say comfort coated. They also say made in USA on the blade.

But this is the one that confuses me.

It does say made in the USA on the box, but not on the blade.

The only ones that I see which appear to be a 'Med Prep' blade is:

Hey Shane @Blackland Razors. Thanks for replying. Basically the blades I am mainly interested in are the ones that I got with the Blackbird.

Based on what @Mike M mentioned, the ones below say comfort coated. They also say made in USA on the blade.

But this is the one that confuses me.

It does say made in the USA on the box, but not on the blade.

The only ones that I see which appear to be a 'Med Prep' blade is:

The first link are Lab Blues. (I also like this link for purchasing packs with Prime). These are the blades Blackland razors ship with.

Your second link says "Made in Germany" on the box so those aren't the ones.

Third link are indeed Med Preps.

Personna changes its packaging constantly so the only consistent thing to look for is whether or not the blades say "Made in the USA" on them. The boxes and paper wrapping make it confusing because they vary so much even though the blade is the same. Med Preps and Lab Blues are the only DE blades made here so that makes it an easy identifier. And Med Preps say something about hospital use on them which makes it even easier.

The first link are Lab Blues. (I also this link for purchasing packs with Prime). These are the blades Blackland razors ship with.

Your second link says "Made in Germany" on the box so those aren't the ones.

Third link are indeed Med Preps.

Personna changes its packaging constantly so the only consistent thing to look for is whether or not the blades say "Made in the USA" on them. The boxes and paper wrapping make it confusing because they vary so much even though the blade is the same. Med Preps and Lab Blues are the only DE blades made here so that makes it an easy identifier. And Med Preps say something about hospital use on them which makes it even easier.
Gotcha. Thanks again for the info.

Love the Personna Israeli Platinum Red blades. :001_wub: :001_tt1:

Also the Personna Med Prep blades. :)
I have 3 blades each of the Reds and Med Preps in the sampler I got last week. Still need to try them.

I do know that the Blues that ship with the Blackbird work perfect with it. I am going to give them a go with the Timeless and Rockwell both and if they work will go ahead and order a 100 of them. Interested to see how long they last. I generally trash the Feathers after 2 uses.

Personna may be the most confusing brand in DE shaving!! Plenty of posts trying to clarify their offerings.

To make matters even more confusing, the Israeli production has recently moved to Germany although there are tons of Israeli made blades in the pipeline.

The US made Personnas are the ‘med preps’ and ‘lab blues’ which are basically the same with the meds getting an extra cleaning step. At least that’s my experience. Others feel the med preps have better QC and/or shave better.

Personna may be the most confusing brand in DE shaving!! Plenty of posts trying to clarify their offerings.

To make matters even more confusing, the Israeli production has recently moved to Germany although there are tons of Israeli made blades in the pipeline.

The US made Personnas are the ‘med preps’ and ‘lab blues’ which are basically the same with the meds getting an extra cleaning step. At least that’s my experience. Others feel the med preps have better QC and/or shave better.
Yeah. There is definitely a difference in price between the Lab Blues and Med Preps but both are still not too bad.

There are so many personnas floating around right now. I’ve been using the following:
Med preps
Lab blue
Israeli Red platinum
Israeli blue platinum
Israeli x series platinum
Israeli crystal
German blue platinum

Other personnas floating around.
edison
Q ball
Royal
Tomy

There are so many personnas floating around right now. I’ve been using the following:
Med preps
Lab blue
Israeli Red platinum
Israeli blue platinum
Israeli x series platinum
Israeli crystal
German blue platinum

Other personnas floating around.
edison
Q ball
Royal
Tomy
That is nuts.

I have only used the Blues so far which I got with the Blackbird. I got 3 each of the Med Preps and Reds in a sampler from tryablade that I need to use as well. But thats all the Personna's I got .. :)

That is nuts.

I have only used the Blues so far which I got with the Blackbird. I got 3 each of the Med Preps and Reds in a sampler from tryablade that I need to use as well. But thats all the Personna's I got .. :)
Fwiw,

I accidentally left out
Satinex 2000
and
Viking sword

fwiw, afaik:
1. q ball and crystal are the same thing.
2. Israeli red and blue platinum are the same. I even wonder if some of the German blues might be old Israeli stock. The blade printing and packaging are identical.
3. Satinex, Royal, Edison, and Viking sword are possibly the same thing.
4. Tomy doesn’t look like anything else.
5. The x series Israeli work awesome for me. And they don’t look like anything else.

I have used the following Personna blades:
Personna Platinum made in Israel (red packaging)
Personna Platinum made in Israel (blue UK packaging)
Personna Platinum made in Israel (generic packaging)
Personna Platinum made in Germany (generic packaging)
Personna "Comfort Coated" made in USA lab blues
Personna Crystal made in Israel

As far as I can tell, all the Personna Platinum blades are of similar quality no matter how they are packaged and where they are made. They are very sharp and smooth, so they are among my favorite blades.

The Crystal blades appear to be an older design. They are good, but not quite as good as the Personna Platinums IMHO.

As best as I can figure, the USA made Lab Blues are very similar to the Personna Platinums with the exception of the Comfort Coating. I guess this is designed to be a "one and done" type blade. I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. I find the lab blues to be very comfortable on the first shave from a smoothness standpoint, but they are not quite sharp enough so they tend to tug at my beard. As the coating starts to wear off, the blades become sharper, similar to the Personna Platinums. This change in sharpness is significant so if you are not expecting it, you might end up with nicks.

The Personas are all good blades, but depending upon your beard characteristics and skin type, you might prefer one over the others. For me, the winner is the Personna Platinum, but I can easily use the others.

is Personna owned by Edgewell Personal Care, LLC?
I picked up some Exchange Select blades at the Eglin base exchange, and they are Israeli made by Edgewell.

is Personna owned by Edgewell Personal Care, LLC?
I picked up some Exchange Select blades at the Eglin base exchange, and they are Israeli made by Edgewell.

Yes, Edgewell now owns American Safety Razor which has Personna as one of its brands. There was a bankruptcy a decade ago which resulted in some acquisitions and other maneuvers that make it complicated to know exactly who owns what. But Edgewell (itself owed by Energizer the battery company) is now the parent of ASR and, by extension, Personna.

Yes, Edgewell now owns American Safety Razor which has Personna as one of its brands. There was a bankruptcy a decade ago which resulted in some acquisitions and other maneuvers that make it complicated to know exactly who owns what. But Edgewell (itself owed by Energizer the battery company) is now the parent of ASR and, by extension, Personna.

Here is the detailed story.

American Safety Razor was founded in the early 20th century by the merger of Gem Cutlery and EveryReady. It later merged with Star Safety Razor. Then the company purchased Pal Blade Company, adding the Pal, Treet, and Personna brands.

In 1960, American Safety Razor was purchased by Phillip Morris, the tobacco giant. The company invented the first stainless steel razor blades, selling them under the Personna brand. In 1977, Phillip Morris divested the company to executives of ASR and it was named Personna American Safety Razor.

In 2010, Personna ASR filed for bankruptcy and the company was purchased by Energizer Holdings. In 2015, Energizer spun off its Personal Care division as Edgewell Personal Care. In turn Edgewell spun off the Industrial Division in Verona, VA as AccuTech. AccuTech is not owned by Edgewell, but it continues to produce blades under the Gem and Personna names. The blades known as Personna Lab Blues are made by AccuTech as are the Personna injector blades. Schick injector blades are made by Edgewell in China.

It is quite confusing.

Here is the detailed story.

American Safety Razor was founded in the early 20th century by the merger of Gem Cutlery and EveryReady. It later merged with Star Safety Razor. Then the company purchased Pal Blade Company, adding the Pal, Treet, and Personna brands.

In 1960, American Safety Razor was purchased by Phillip Morris, the tobacco giant. The company invented the first stainless steel razor blades, selling them under the Personna brand. In 1977, Phillip Morris divested the company to executives of ASR and it was named Personna American Safety Razor.

In 2010, Personna ASR filed for bankruptcy and the company was purchased by Energizer Holdings. In 2015, Energizer spun off its Personal Care division as Edgewell Personal Care. In turn Edgewell spun off the Industrial Division in Verona, VA as AccuTech. AccuTech is not owned by Edgewell, but it continues to produce blades under the Gem and Personna names. The blades known as Personna Lab Blues are made by AccuTech as are the Personna injector blades. Schick injector blades are made by Edgewell in China.

It is quite confusing.

Thanks for the info.

So mil guys and gals/veterans can get the Personna Israeli made blades for cheap at the exchange.

Are any other companies making blades is Israel?

Top Bottom