What's new

Arko: An Observation

I have always grated my Arko sticks into a plastic Tupperware style container and made them into a puck. I have found the soap to be fine. I have to admit though that I have not face lathered with Arko. Maybe I should try to this in Arko August and see if there is a difference or not. Can you wait @FarmerTan for August for my findings?

Seriously, you've given my sad self a reason to endure June and July! I honestly think you will be ASTOUNDED by the difference my friend.

Plus, we may stop hearing the werds “Arko Shave Stick pucked” echoing down the corridors of this thread:

(I have to admit I have an Arko stick smashed into an Old Spice mug.)

OK, hear my out. I know this is going to sound crazy but. I don't know. Maybe it is. The same Maggard Timberwolf synthetic was used for all shaves along with a variety of blades that have all been historically sharp and smooth enough to be used as a reference for testing purposes.

I've been using an Arko shave stick (as intended) by rubbing a little into my beard and lathering it with a synthetic, mostly though April and May of this year. I had consistently slippery and close shaves this way, about 20 or so. I only apply a thin film to my chin and a radius surrounding it, as to not overload the soap. Coating my whole beard makes way too much lather and just gets sticky and really hard to rinse off once I'm done.

Then one day, I had some sensitivity issues on a certain part of my face, and didn't feel like rubbing the Arko stick on my face, so I smashed the stick into a Connaught wood bowl, and decided to load it that way. I've used the Arko, the exact same stick mind you, in puck form for 5 consecutive shaves, and am finding the slickness and protection is less than when it was a stick! At first I thought it was product usage related, but it's not, as I've been checking the lather between my fingers prior to shaving and it's right on. Just dense enough so I can't feel my fingerprints when I rub two fingers together and slick as can be.

The main difference between the two methods (other than the slip n' slide) is the rinse-off and post-shave feel. As a stick, I find it harder to rinse the residual lather off my face (even when minimally loaded) whereas the puck method rinses off my face very cleanly. I also have a tendency to go a little oilier when using the stick but not when using the puck. It was almost 100 deg. F today (and humid) and my face feels perfectly clean and hydrated, not oily at all!

Anyone else experience this insanity? Does an Arko shave stick perhaps act a little like a pre-shave when applying it to the face prior to lathering it? Is it just me?
So interesting to see this experience is shared by others! Something about the raw soap being applied to the face, then the water being added with the brush followed by face lathering that provides a slicker lather.

I have been using the puck for the last few days, both bowl and face lathering, and although I get a fine shave it’s not the quintessential stick experience. It’s a bit of a conundrum. God, now I’ve got something new to OCD over. Somebody call the Arko man 😁

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So interesting to see this experience is shared by others! Something about the raw soap being applied to the face, then the water being added with the brush followed by face lathering that provides a slicker lather.

I have been using the puck for the last few days, both bowl and face lathering, and although I get a fine shave it’s not the quintessential stick experience. It’s a bit of a conundrum. God, now I’ve got something new to OCD over. Somebody call the Arko man 😁
Did someone ring? Arko Man is here!

I shall consider it my civic duty good sir.
Of course I didn’t mean to imply that you should do all the research but do chime in with any insight. Tomorrow I’m going to use the stick for one side of my face and the puck for the other and note the difference in quality of the lather.

Ok fine people, so this morning I used the puck like a stick and rubbed it on the right side of my face, and on the left I used the stick. I used two different brushes but they both had a 24mm Yaqi Tuxedo knot in them.

I feel the lather on the puck side did improve over straight bowl or face lathering with the puck, and was closer to the slickness of the stick side, but the stick side was still slicker and had the consistency that I prefer. The only thing I can think of is the puck and stick are somehow formulated differently. It's not a massive difference but it is noticeable. Once my puck is gone I think I'll be sticking to the stick :)

Ok fine people, so this morning I used the puck like a stick and rubbed it on the right side of my face, and on the left I used the stick. I used two different brushes but they both had a 24mm Yaqi Tuxedo knot in them.

I feel the lather on the puck side did improve over straight bowl or face lathering with the puck, and was closer to the slickness of the stick side, but the stick side was still slicker and had the consistency that I prefer. The only thing I can think of is the puck and stick are somehow formulated differently. It's not a massive difference but it is noticeable. Once my puck is gone I think I'll be sticking to the stick :)

Is the bowl Arko very hard, or like the putty consistency of the stick? My comparison was between an Arko stick and the very same Arko stick mashed into a bowl and loaded from there. It's definitely better in stick form for me, even when it's the exact same product!

Is the bowl Arko very hard, or like the putty consistency of the stick? My comparison was between an Arko stick and the very same Arko stick mashed into a bowl and loaded from there. It's definitely better in stick form for me, even when it's the exact same product!
The puck is just a little harder than the stick in my opinion, but not by much especially when it's wet. There also seems to be a bit of a shine or gloss to the stick that I don't notice in the puck. The puck seems like a very matte finish if that makes sense.

9BB102DC-6E43-4979-B23C-CEE865EBF4F7.jpeg

Here is the list of ingredients for each...

Arko (Stick): Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Parafinium, Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenly, Disuffonate Amyl Cinnamel, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Arko (Tub): Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate
Parfum, Parraffinum Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, CL77891, Etidronic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol.

Here is the list of ingredients for each...

Arko (Stick): Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Parafinium, Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenly, Disuffonate Amyl Cinnamel, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

Arko (Tub): Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate
Parfum, Parraffinum Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, CL77891, Etidronic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol.
Well there ya go. How logical was that!? There is definitely a difference in some of the ingredients and the stick wins in my book. :thumbup:

Top Bottom