What's new

Badger lover considering a badger/boar mix - Survivable? Sacrilege?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I still strongly prefer a (significantly) larger handle/brush than the C5, however....I need to eat a bit of crow, at least in terms of me proclaiming that this might be "a bad impulse buy."

I know, only a sample size of one, but dang...this little guy (again, with finest badger knot) is a lather-making machine. I just wish it was more comfortable in my hand...again, too dang small. So we feel confident larger brushes in this style are coming? I agree, a C9, heck, even a C7, would be very welcomed. If a C9 comes out, it will be an insta-blind buy for me.

Everything beyond C-5 is just my pipe dream. As far as I know that is.

The Mistura SOC has landed :thumbup:.
View attachment 1115666
Quick pic of mine right out of the box.

Great looking brush with some serious backbone!! Gonna take a little practice and break-in to get the lathering and feel just right but looking forward to it.
Here’s hoping that Jim @chaneliwhiskers has also received a delivery 😬

Great looking brush, I have to say.
Kindly pls share your experience with us once used... and we love (more) photos...

Don’t know if this has been asked yet, so here it goes:

Is the Mistura brush the same kind as the Razorock Amici brush? (Mixed.) The “Amici” was crafted by Semogue to be a replica of their previous Caravela brush. I’m interested in the Mistura, but not so much if it’s just the same brush / knot.

1593282505154.jpeg

Don’t know if this has been asked yet, so here it goes:

Is the Mistura brush the same kind as the Razorock Amici brush? (Mixed.) The “Amici” was crafted by Semogue to be a replica of their previous Caravela brush. I’m interested in the Mistura, but not so much if it’s just the same brush / knot.

View attachment 1118595
Yes, mixed boar / badger (50/50).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Anybody have a link to published and definitive information about whether the Mistura is 70/30 or 50/30 or exactly what? In terms of its ratio of badger to boar, of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've seen reviews claim it's 50/50... but I want to say someone actually asked them about the Caravela (one of the earliest mixed brushes that got popular from them) and they answered... and I thought it was 70/30 too, but my memory could be faulty.

I do think the Semogue knots are a bit more boar than the Oumo's... and also stiffer badger hairs and slightly less dense. Creates a brush with a little less scrub, more bloom and more flow-through (after break-in) to me they start out very similar, but the Semogue breaks in more (which would support the theory that they have more boar). I think you'll really like it, Definitely less scritchy than the Oumo's.

I sold my Mistura recently and haven't replaced it yet... so I can't compare side by side, but it was much easier finding a boar hair in the Semogues... partly because their boar hairs were thicker imho. So by weight, I'd be surprised if Semogue wasn't higher boar than Oumo. That said... I also don't think Oumo's are really 30% Boar. 10-20% more likely in my experience. So Semogue could well be 30% and still be more piggy.

Anybody have a link to published and definitive information about whether the Mistura is 70/30 or 50/30 or exactly what? In terms of its ratio of badger to boar, of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

50/50

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
50/50

1593295868262.png

Thank you. It's not that I didn't buy one from them (in transit it is). I had to have seen this information before.

Well, maybe not...

1593296130933.png

I ordered this one.

Below is its description...

1593296103989.png

Maybe I didn't miss the percentage the first time after all.

It'll be interesting to compare it with the Maggard 70/30 knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1118655

Thank you. It's not that I didn't buy one from them (in transit it is). I had to have seen this information before.

Well, maybe not...

View attachment 1118658

I ordered this one.

Below is its description...

View attachment 1118657

Maybe I didn't miss the percentage the first time after all.

It'll be interesting to compare it with the Maggard 70/30 knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I see... looks like they didn’t include the details in the description for that one...
As far as I know, all the SOC Mistura have exactly the same knot, 50/50 mix, just different handles.
I’ve never tried the Maggard 70/30 knot, unfortunately, but I love the Semogue Mistura, great brush!
Hope yours arrives soon and you enjoy the shaves.

Last edited:
Semogue Mistura was my second favorite brush after Rooney Finest till I tried the 70/30s, then they became my second favorite brush. Main difference is the 70/30's are a bit more scrubby.

Semogue Mistura was my second favorite brush after Rooney Finest till I tried the 70/30s, then they became my second favorite brush. Main difference is the 70/30's are a bit more scrubby.

I recently purchased the Semogue Torga C5 mixed knot.
It’s the same 24 mm 50:50 mixed knot, but with a slightly shorter loft, and therefore has a bit more backbone and is more scrubby.
Unfortunately the C5 handle, even though it looks pretty nice, to me it doesn’t feel quite as comfortable in use as the SOC handle...

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I recently purchased the Semogue Torga C5 mixed knot.
It’s the same 24 mm 50:50 mixed knot, but with a slightly shorter loft, and therefore has a bit more backbone and is more scrubby.
Unfortunately the C5 handle, even though it looks pretty nice, to me it doesn’t feel quite as comfortable in use as the SOC handle...

I'm not buying anymore brushes right now (with a few exceptions in case I find one of my long desired but totally unobtanium brushes) as I'm on a gentlemanly restraint until the fall (for brush buying). I have in transit three brushes ordered before the restraint, the SOC Mistura, a Maseto beehive two band, and a Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 two band, plus I'm still breaking in three brushes.

The C5 looks really nice to me, but I don't want that size. I'm very glad to read about it though. When I looked at the photos I wondered about the handle size.

Zeniths.2.Wood.640.4-18.JPG

Some very small handles are just perfect. These would be perfect illustrations of that. They don't feel to me like handles, but like knobs, but they're the perfect brush knob. Hope that makes sense.

I'd say the main thing I notice about my 70/30 is how deliciously scrubby it is.

I hope the incoming SOC Mistura won't be insufficiently scrubby. I don't think you're saying it's not scrubby enough, but, boy oh boy, is the 70/30 scrubby or what?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Maggard has bulbs, APshave has bulbs and fans, Oumo sells direct but 25 piece minimum.

May be more but those are the ones I know.

Got a few uses with the C5. Breaking in nicely with each use in addition to the initial 2 day soak in the fridge (Not enough patience for standard break in). Lots of hairs with 2-4 splits. To me, it seems like a beefed up version of the 610, which is good IMO for face lathering. I also wanted to see what the handle is like bf considering a C5 Mistura. Its on the smaller side and nowhere near as comfortable as the SOC. I might hold off on the C5 Mistura due to handle. Im not sure how much better it would be than the SOC Mistura with only a couple mm shorter loft. Pic below for comparison.
DD922893-BA84-49E8-A643-CF5F0648B34F.jpeg

Top Bottom