What's new

Home Security/Deterrent Measures So That You Don't HAVE To Shoot Someone.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My collie is the wimpiest dog you'll ever meet. He wouldn't hurt a fly and is scared to go outside in the rain. But boy will he bark up a storm if the slightest little thing is out of the ordinary.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would like to put pro 2A organization stickers on my vehicle and the like, but I don’t do that either. I might be forced to lock a weapon up in my truck. I hate doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On my old junky truck I have a bumper sticker that says "my president is Charlton Heston", lol, that tells you it's a 1988. I'm about to turn it in to the junk man, so I'll have to take a picture to share!

There is also a type of bumper sticker I don't put on my cars nowadays: ones that proclaim my Faith. I don't want anyone to think all Christians scream at idiots on the roads! LOL!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
He did say it all, but I want to ask him: Rob, how do you feel about signs like "forget 911, I call Sturm and Ruger!" with a beautiful picture of a Revolver? @simon1 , thoughts?

I wouldn't put up signage about "I don't call 911", but that's just me. The fake bear traps sign is about as far as I would go, but don't think that would work good in a metro area. Where I live it's a low crime area (different story in town)...I've only caught one pair stealing from the property and they ended up in the county jail when I caught them. Word gets around out here.

I have a couple of $50 trail cameras pointed in the right direction, but you have to check them and they are not as convenient as a regular security camera. They are cheaper though.

FarmerTan

Is this really, really true ? I can only imagine this only works for burglars without dogs. Our 50lb mutt dog sounds like a viscous attack animal when pernicious amazon delivery || deer || or neighbors cat is about .. but lets be honest we all know all a burglar has to do is bring say some peanut butter and our slutty dogs would be like "HAALLO my new bestest friend in the world I love you sooooOOOooOo much, take his crap I've peed on it just for you!!!!111!!!1!!!!!!!!!!"
I went out once to listen to a band in a bar that were wanting me to play with them. Strange night, but that's another story, lol.

We had an old dachshund back then, and my wife and she were asleep when I returned, very late.

I am not exaggerating when I say that she literally CLIMBED MY BODY and was at my throat before I could make myself known to her!

I never really worried about leaving my wife alone after that night!

So, if I were a burglar I would DEFINITELY move onto the next house with no barking dog!

FarmerTan

I wouldn't put up signage about "I don't call 911", but that's just me. The fake bear traps sign is about as far as I would go, but don't think that would work good in a metro area. Where I live it's a low crime area (different story in town)...I've only caught one pair stealing from the property and they ended up in the county jail when I caught them. Word gets around out here.

I have a couple of $50 trail cameras pointed in the right direction, but you have to check them and they are not as convenient as a regular security camera. They are cheaper though.
I live in the country, at least that's what I call it, and I have been dragging my feet on a security system. I have a few friends that use game cameras like you do. I'm leaning that way myself.

If someone wants my hoardings they are welcome to my junk if'n I ain't home, I just want a record of who took it, lol, for tax purposes! The tax the perp will pay will be expensive, however, if the War Department finds him before I do!

About the ONLY thing that makes her fergit she's a Baptist is a thief!

1. Get an old pair of men's size 14 work boots from Goodwill or Arc
2. Sit ‘em on your front porch beside a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine.
3. Put some big, messy dog bowls next to the boots.
4. Tack a note to the door that says:

"Me and Bubba and Bertha and Duke have gone for more ammo and beer. Be right back. Don't mess with the pit bulls; they got to the mailman this morning and messed him up bad. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside. -- Cooter"

FarmerTan

1. Get an old pair of men's size 14 work boots from Goodwill or Arc
2. Sit ‘em on your front porch beside a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine.
3. Put some big, messy dog bowls next to the boots.
4. Tack a note to the door that says:

"Me and Bubba and Bertha and Duke have gone for more ammo and beer. Be right back. Don't mess with the pit bulls; they got to the mailman this morning and messed him up bad. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside. -- Cooter"
Congratulations Sir! You just broke the internet! Post of the year!

FarmerTan

I'm not where I want to be from a personal security standpoint yet but our home was broken into while we were away and they ransacked two bedrooms and made off with a fair amount of jewelry. Probably in excess of $20,000 to $25,000 worth. At the time we had left my wife's step sister and her husband there because we had to travel for a family event. The amount of time between when they were expected to leave and our return was literally one lousy day. They left on a Saturday and we arrived home the next day, Sunday. We have an alarm system that I could have set remotely but for some inexplicable reason, I didn't. I also didn't give my wife's step sister and her husband any instructions to leave some lights on. Clearly I should have set the alarm but I have a feeling they still would have broken in if it had been set. They would have heard the alarm however, and they might have just run or if they were experienced they still would have gotten the stuff because they would know that the phone would have to ring, and then if no answer, only then the police would be called and it would still take some time to get to the house. After that tramatic event, I bought two ring doorbells. Two because one went on the front door of the house and the other at the back door as that is the door they broke to get in. Now I always put lights on timers and put them around the house. I also leave lights on the side porch and the back deck. Basically, the lights alert a burglar that there could be someone home, a deterent. The alarm system is in case they actually get inside and it could scare them away. And the cameras could help catch the little buggers. I figure the only thing I can do about a break in when I'm not there is to get a rig set up that shoots flames at anyone who even approaches either door or any window, charring any burglar to a crisp. As for weapons, I do intend to file my application for gun permit. It's not burglars I'm worried about. It's anarchy. This country is going into the crapper so I at least want to take one or two with me if things do go that way. So, to answer your question, you already have the motion lights. Think about cameras and an alarm system. What else can you do?
Sorry you had to go through this my friend. Ugh. Like a kick to the.... stomach.

I am saved by grace, but my gut reaction is evil. In the case of societal breakdown, I'm not sure how kind I would be to thieves.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sorry you had to go through this my friend. Ugh. Like a kick to the.... stomach.

I am saved by grace, but my gut reaction is evil. In the case of societal breakdown, I'm not sure how kind I would be to thieves.

Lol'd. I wanna be like Jesus, but I ain't Jesus... :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I live in the country, at least that's what I call it, and I have been dragging my feet on a security system.

Then this may be available in your area.

I have a guardian, that seems to like me, that is meaner than any dog known to mankind.

I knew I shouldn't have thrown her that fish...now I can't get rid of her.

1593485951765.png

FarmerTan

Then this may be available in your area.

I have a guardian, that seems to like me, that is meaner than any dog known to mankind.

I knew I shouldn't have thrown her that fish...now I can't get rid of her.

View attachment 1119568
Can you believe I played with the baby versions of these as a lad?

Lol, rabies ain't got nuthin' on me!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We have 12 security cameras outdoors covering our home’s perimeter. There are 4 cameras inside covering the entrances and hallways. There is no part of our home that is not covered by a camera (bedrooms excluded). We have 23 outdoor floodlights that are on from dusk to dawn. The kids’ rooms all have hidden safe spaces. All windows have sun screens screwed into the brick. The front and back doors are steel and the door frames are concrete. Each door has 12 bolts; 3 on top, 3 on bottom, and 6 on the side high and low. Then there is 1 bolt that you can turn by hand. The others require a key. Friends laugh every time they come over and say it’s like the opening/unlocking of a prison cell.
Here are a few outside photos at night and a photo of one of our doors.
And after all that if they are still wanting inside they can have our possessions if we are not home.
If we are home well they had plenty of warning that they were not welcome.

EBD34460-2B92-4185-BFB4-A9B4EE1B4C36.jpeg
A3707900-5431-4EC8-898A-CF688FB37175.jpeg
DF75D3C4-59BB-43DB-BE5C-168C624D31B4.jpeg
B25B2F86-901B-4241-8397-07FCDCA29EAD.jpeg
CF9173E2-59D2-427F-AE9D-D394F834A421.jpeg
22345B13-B5BE-4347-9D62-6D2C6B61B1BC.jpeg

FarmerTan

We have 12 security cameras outdoors covering our home’s perimeter. There are 4 cameras inside covering the entrances and hallways. There is no part of our home that is not covered by a camera (bedrooms excluded). We have 23 outdoor floodlights that are on from dusk to dawn. The kids’ rooms all have hidden safe spaces. All windows have sun screens screwed into the brick. The front and back doors are steel and the door frames are concrete. Each door has 12 bolts; 3 on top, 3 on bottom, and 6 on the side high and low. Then there is 1 bolt that you can turn by hand. The others require a key. Friends laugh every time they come over and say it’s like the opening/unlocking of a prison cell.
Here are a few outside photos at night and a photo of one of our doors.
And after all that if they are still wanting inside they can have our possessions if we are not home.
If we are home well they had plenty of warning that they were not welcome.

View attachment 1119631View attachment 1119632View attachment 1119633View attachment 1119634View attachment 1119635View attachment 1119636
And it is a beautiful home my friend. You have most definitely slowed down the threat in such a way that lets them know that they are not welcome!

Home security can be fairly cheap. It's really just a deterrent anyways because if and unsavory really wants what you have, they don't care what you have for security. I have 3 cameras inside my home covering each room that has a door. I have 3 cameras outside covering the entrance and exit points as well. I also have heat sensing motion sensors in every room and they are set to trigger the closest inside camera when activated. I have contact sensors on each door and on my garage door. They are also set to trigger the closest outside and inside camera when activated. The entire system works through my wifi and I can monitor and activate/deactivate remotely from my phone. I also receive notifications of everything on my phone when I am not home. I have rules programmed which are activated by the touch of a button from my phone depending on if I am home/away or if it's day or night. These rules can also be set by time which is how I have some of them. Video is uploaded to the cloud and also stored locally. If the phone or internet is out, it still records but I won't get any notifications until internet is restored. It actually doesn't utilize the phone at all. It does not call the police but I can do that when I receive the notification if I'm not home. I can deal with that. I have stickers on each door that state the premises is under 24 hour video surveillance. I have less than $200 in the entire system and it's easily expandable.

I also have natural deterrents. On the side and back of the house, my windows are rather high. I have rose bushes planted down the side and back of the house. They add to the difficulty of getting into any of those windows. I know this for a fact as one of daughters, when she was still in high school, locked herself out one day. Instead of calling me or my wife to come let her in to get her keys, she decided to just get in through her bedroom window. She spent a few days healing from that ordeal and kept a spare house key in her car after that. She said we never had to ever worry about any of them trying to sneak out or in at night. lol. The outside of my house is well lit at night too. I have some lights that stay on all night and others that are motion sensing. The motion sensing ones are near outside cameras so that the light being tripped will trigger the camera.

Next, I have a 100 pound female pit bull. Now she is nothing more than a big baby but most people are afraid of her at first. She's big and she's a pittie. She has a very deep bark but does not bark. If she hears something outside that doesn't belong, she will simply go to the door and wait to see if it tries to come in, if we are awake. If we are asleep, she will give one loud deep bark if something is not right. If she ever does that at night or during the day when I worked nights and slept during the day, we would instantly be up, awake, looking at the cameras while arming ourselves.

My neighborhood is out in the county and have very good neighbors that work various schedules so someone is always at home. My road is also a one way in/one way out street as well and we all know vehicles that belong and take notice of ones that don't. It is also a very gun friendly area as well and there are several former military such as myself that live on my street too. A societal breakdown would not fair well in this area.

@OkieStubble was dead on in his statement that it's about layers and deterrents. Make you home and property uninviting for unsavory's and you will have less to worry about.

Another thought is to try to avoid routines as much as possible. This works as a deterrent to help keep criminals from learning a schedule to know when you're home and when you're not. Like many others have commented though, I'm not as worried when no one is home. I just want the evidence to catch them and for insurance purposes, but I do want every advantage possible when I am home to attempt to avoid what could possibly be a deadly confrontation.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One that I haven't seen mentioned is a two door entry, a regular steel door in steel frame but also a locking tempered glass storm door. Simply adding an additional layer to making entry is significant. In addition to slowing forced entry it also add a small layer of safety in allowing you to open the main door without allowing immediate entry.

Now I'm old and so forgetful and may have posted this before but it might still be relevant in this thread.

It was a dark and stormy night, perfect for a break-in story.

Lights!! Criminals, as a rule, like darkness. The perimeter of my home is lit up at night. I also have security cameras that alert if someone steps off of the sidewalk and onto my property. I'm trained in firearms but I still believe that the best fight is the one you don't get into.
I wonder about that. I live in a semi rural area large lots in our area 1-3 acre in size. A few years ago our car and truck were burgeralized. I had walk lights and some overhead led rope lights in the carport since often being called out at night I did not like to get out in the dark to get back to the house. I had a gun and a small bag with a bunch of chargers and cords for iphone, kindles, ect stolen. Sheriffs dept told me a lot of vehicles were being burgeralized. A neighbor had placed his wallet and credit card stolen from a work truck and went back into his house for something, came back and it was gone. Less than an hour later something had been charged at McDonalds, then apparently they were smart and discarded it after one use. I had the serial number and model of the gun recorded and sheriffs deputy said most people did not and that if it was recovered I would get it back, Thats been 4 years ago not and no word on it, not that I would want it back at this point. It was one of the big Para Ordnance LDA(light double action) semi autos, so I think if they tried to take it apart without proper instructions it would be rendered useless.

Top Bottom