What's new

King C. Gillette razor

Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here ya go
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Posted elsewhere that I’m at 14 shaves with the KCG blade in my Super 84. Just an awesome blade and feels as smooth as day 1. If you like the vintage Platinum Plus made in the US, you’ll love this. I’ll let everyone know when I feel that first tug, hasn’t happened yet.

Posted elsewhere that I’m at 14 shaves with the KCG blade in my Super 84. Just an awesome blade and feels as smooth as day 1. If you like the vintage Platinum Plus made in the US, you’ll love this. I’ll let everyone know when I feel that first tug, hasn’t happened yet.

I’m at ten and it feels like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I’ve shaved with mine 3 times now. I think it’s probably about the same, maybe very slightly more aggressive than my DE89 but that could just be because of the weight difference playing tricks on me.

What I will say about it is that there are some razors in the collection I won’t do a third pass on my neck with but I will do a third pass with the King C.

I like it.

I have one of these and my impression was that it mild the handle is slippery. I wonder why they didn't just dust off the tooling from the Tech razors and start making them again or have them made somewhere...

I have one of these and my impression was that it mild the handle is slippery. I wonder why they didn't just dust off the tooling from the Tech razors and start making them again or have them made somewhere...

I think the left over space for the Tech tooling got taken up about 40 years ago.

There is no tooling of the old era.
The target for their product was;
"....The King C. Gillette product line was designed with the grooming needs of the 60% of men who choose to wear some kind of facial hair style in mind. Whether that be a mustache, full beard or something in between, King C. Gillette has the products and tools to meet their needs, including a shave & edging razor, the double edge razor, a trimmer, transparent shave gel, beard & face wash, beard oil and beard balm... "
Hence the old style handles do not fit in with the consumer they are targeting. They could ask their supplier for the heritage inspired handle to make a new design but I expect that was too complicated and expensive to involve another supplier in the chain.
They should have added some more etching down the handle but a poor decision was made on that one I expect, time will tell. The razor does appear to be selling regardless of that.

Well, I’ve shaved with mine 3 times now. I think it’s probably about the same, maybe very slightly more aggressive than my DE89 but that could just be because of the weight difference playing tricks on me.

What I will say about it is that there are some razors in the collection I won’t do a third pass on my neck with but I will do a third pass with the King C.

I like it.

What we perceive as friction has a major influence on how we evaluate any surface. In actuality, the coefficient of friction increases when our fingers come into contact with a smooth surface that is impermeable, such as with a chrome surface. Friction actually decreases for a porous surface. With regard to our fingers (Dermal Ridges), friction will increase with the introduction of water on a very smooth, impermeable surface.

Next time it rains or you wash your car, rub your fingers over the wet window glass. Friction increases significantly on the wet glass and alternately decreases on a dry glass window. Biologically speaking, when we are faced with a threat, we experience an involuntary nervous reaction, fight, flight or freeze. This results in sweat gland activity which in addition to cooling us down, this moisture works in tandem with our dermal ridges to increase friction.

Often times I see posts where someone will mention a picture of a chrome or other polished handle surfaces and remark that it looks slippery. Another person may purchase such a razor and remark that prior to shaving, the handle felt like it would slip out of their hands but once wet, the handle had surprising grip.

Does this mean one could put shaving cream all over their hands and still have the same level of friction on that impermeable surface? The answer is, no. Another aspect to consider is Frictional Dynamics. Friction also shall decrease with increased sliding velocity. Simply speaking, this will occur when you add lubrication. Soaps and creams not only soften a beard with the addition of water but behave like a lubricant. Knurling on razor handles is a buffer which works with our dermal ridges to prevent sliding velocity.

The design of the KCG handle as many other handles has a chrome polish and knurling. The balance point of the razor leaves enough knurling beneath to have the same benefit. This also relates to how someone intends on holding a razor. Most men would would hold this particular handle with the totality of their grip where knurling is present. One’s pinky or little finger may also add support to the handle from the very bottom. The persons whom made this design understood this and elected to go with a more modern take on a traditional design without intending to sacrifice function.

With all of this in mind, I think that perception can have a large impact. Regarding this design and what I mentioned above, I also feel like this handle design would not work well for a person shaving their legs due to the change of the orientation of one’s fingers on the handle (Lower handle grip points). I wouldn’t consider getting a handle such as this for my wife. Also, some of us which are prone to having much more cream/soap on their hands would have issue with the design. This is not me but there are a population of members here whom do tend to experience this and those persons have already figured out that they need a much more aggressive knurling to counteract the issue with any razor or handle purchase. Any such face shaver could also solve the issue by just simply doing something counterintuitive and slightly increase their grip on the knurled section. Most would not do so for fear of the handle coming out of their grip entirely. Is this handle for everyone? No. Would it work for most face shavers? Probably.

Last edited:
Wow @THall what an explanation! That’s why I keep alum block at the sink. Even the best knurling is slippery after wiping good lather from your hand. One swipe on the block and my hands are as sticky as Adam Thielen’s.

Wow @THall what an explanation! That’s why I keep alum block at the sink. Even the best knurling is slippery after wiping good lather from your hand. One swipe on the block and my hands are as sticky as Adam Thielen’s.

Believe it or not, this “Jack the Barber” Bevel clone handle feels like I’m holding something wrapped in grip tape when its wet. When dry, not so much. Off topic, but a great little $9 razor that feels like I’m shaving with my Timeless 95. A very aggressive clone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
Top Bottom