What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

5/8 McLellan The Hamburg Ring
D.R. Harris Marlborough
24mm Graydog Boar
Pinaud Clubman
Pecksniff's "Professional" EDT

20200628_094431.jpg

EDT pairs nicely with the Harris. pretty much all English shave this morn......except I'd didnt use my Simpson Berkeley.

10/10

camo

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Gillette GSB (1)
Brush: Semogue SOC Butterscotch Boar (1st use)
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere (sample)
AS: Mennen Skin Bracer
Shave/Result: A welcome home 3 pass shave, 2 WTG passes and 1 ATG pass for a DFS. My first use of the Semogue SOC (I posted some thoughts on “Brush today” thread) and I like it already. It holds more water than I thought so my first lather was a super sloppy wet crazy mess. In true B&B spirit, I channeled my “More Product” self and quickly refined my lather for the first pass. SOC wow, I am stunned at how soft the tips are. I need to dial in the brush, my expectations, soak time, and amount of soap/Cream going forward but I’m looking forward to it. I see why this brush gets sooo much hype. Taking my daughter crawdad fishing (read playing in the stream, making a ton of noise, and barbecue hotdogs later after our “failed” fishing expedition.) Have a great day, Tim
8002498A-75B0-4246-AF2D-26EAF0EF184A.jpeg
97CC3405-D1EC-4715-ACB9-81EC72085F5A.jpeg
2E3E4E03-79C7-4B7D-825D-27B4490D3DE0.jpeg
A0900663-F9E4-42A9-B34E-F425D9921FF6.jpeg
F6B83A50-38CC-4367-99E5-1CEC1A8006BF.jpeg

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Gillette GSB (1)
Brush: Semogue SOC Butterscotch Boar (1st use)
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere (sample)
AS: Mennen Skin Bracer
Shave/Result: A welcome home 3 pass shave, 2 WTG passes and 1 ATG pass for a DFS. My first use of the Semogue SOC (I posted some thoughts on “Brush today” thread) and I like it already. It holds more water than I thought so my first lather was a super sloppy wet crazy mess. In true B&B spirit, I channeled my “More Product” self and quickly refined my lather for the first pass. SOC wow, I am stunned at how soft the tips are. I need to dial in the brush, my expectations, soak time, and amount of soap/Cream going forward but I’m looking forward to it. I see why this brush gets sooo much hype. Taking my daughter crawdad fishing (read playing in the stream, making a ton of noise, and barbecue hotdogs later after our “failed” fishing expedition.) Have a great day, Tim
View attachment 1118865View attachment 1118863View attachment 1118864View attachment 1118866View attachment 1118867

awesome brush......awesome expedition!!!!

camo

Razor: Gillette ball end Tech, nickel plated, with diamond Gillette logo on top cap, 1957
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless (1)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red tub
Rating: 10

Last night's shave. I haven't used a Feather blade in a few years, and I haven't used the Tech in a few months. Easy BBS after a WTG/XTG/ATG shave. No irritation or nicks.

During the shave, I couldn't notice that I was using a Feather blade, but afterwards, my cheeks felt glass smooth as if I had used a SR: this is the Feather advantage! Twelve hours later, it still feels like I just shaved.

From what I recall from use in other razors, my first two shaves from a Feather blade were usually outstanding, then shaves 3 - 7 or so were the same as any other good, sharp blade for me. I'm curious to see how long this blade lasts and performs in my Tech.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9/10
Soap: Zingari Man The Wanderer
Brush: Fendrihan Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS .68 scalloped head & base
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German) (2)
AS: Barrister and Mann Reserve Lavender

Good shave...everything was excellent...was just a little pressed for time this morning.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, I going to make it a tradition if possible to shave with one of my Schick injectors every Sunday!

Razor: Schick injector i2 Hyro-magic type- Mfg 1954-57, great razor with a Personna injector blade in it, I find the Personna blade sharper for these milder injector razors and this morning was no exception. Great shave!
Blade: Personna injector SS PTFE (4)- Sharp and reasonably smooth, very nice after shave #2>I have experienced for improved smoothness, Awesome IMO.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- Nice citrus scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm synthetic- great brush and easy to maintain and does all what a brush is suppose to do from my many uses- great little brush!
Pre-shave:brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups. Very stimulating!
Post shave: Proraso green with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Just a excellent shave with my Schick injector i2 Hydro magic.

Sunday Schick shave, June 28th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Grabbing the ball end tech and leaving the Personna red blade in it even not knowing the history. The blade lasted about a half pass. Opened the cabinet and saw the box of Gillette Silver Blue that I tried months ago and did not like. I tossed one in and finished. Not terrible.

Today's shave was what I would consider an average shave. Not everyone can be a banger.

8.5/10

KM

IMG_20200628_093732~2.jpg

Razor: Schick F New and Improved Injector razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson's Duke 3 Sapphire Special Edition in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 10.
20200627_101347.jpg

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Nuage Men Pre-Shave oil with menthol
- Proraso Green

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Hawkins & Brimble Elemi and Ginseng balm
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
- Edwin Jagger EJ286 Synthetic

Shave Rating: 8/10
Fourth and final shave with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. Single pass Sunday to stay presentable before heading out. Nice smooth shave again with no irritation or feedback from the alum block. The blade still feels sharp enough for a fourth use (albeit only a single pass). I am also liking the combination of the Nuage menthol with Proraso Green.
Think I’ve said before the Nuage oil brings back memories as I used it during my first year of DE shaving. Used to be stocked in ASDA for 90p-£1. I can understand why it would pair well with the Proraso - I seem to remember the Nuage had a slight herbal note to it with the menthol too? I moved on to King of Shaves Kinexium for a while but found I preferred the serum they do to the oil. I actually found an unused one the other day, which I am tempted to take with me when I go on holiday at some point in the future as it’s a 50ml bottle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200628
shave 20200628_103702.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Schick Proline (2)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (very close to BBS) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Absolutely LOVING the Vector - a very special razor, indeed!

The TOBS Grapefruit, Clubman Osage Rub and Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec are quickly becoming my 'go to' for a refreshing and cooling summer shave.

Very satisfying shave! :)

SOTD - 8 out of 10

First time using Treet Platinum, and first cold water shave. Dr's Jon's vegan soap is a top performer in the den, checking off all the boxes for glide, cushion, and overall face feel. It's very moisturizing, both on the face and even in the post-shave feel. Haven't used it in a while, but if I remember correctly it pairs better with my boar brush than with my silvertip. I had enough lather for a 2-pass on 3 days growth. With 2 new variables- blade and cold water- I decided not to chase BBS and go for DFS, and that what I achieved- completely irritation free, no nicks or weepers.

Treet Platinum felt very smooth & efficient. I didn't push it at all. I'll have a better opinion of it on my next shave, since the last 2 blades I used- Super-Max and Dorco- gave great first shaves but went downhill from there.

I enjoyed the cold water process- refreshing for a hot summer day, shave started in the late morning.

Liquid Neutrogena face wash & cold water * Merkur 34c * Treet Platinum * Dr Jon's Runaway * Surrey boar * Fine Accoutrements bowl * Dr Jon's AS (light & refreshing, great scent & longevity)

Good day & great shaves to all.
SOTD 20 6 28.jpg

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Failed Attempt: Not sharp enough, needs further work
Henry Graves SR​
John J Hogan 503 Special SR​
First Pass WTG
Razor: Parker SRW Shavette​
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)​
Second Pass ATG / XTG
Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech (First time using this razor!)​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)​
Pre-Pre-Shave: Suave Ocean Breeze hair conditioner in the shower
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger 24mm
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender
After Shave: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Rating: 8.9/10
  • Overall a very close shave. Near BBS.
  • The two straight razors were not sharp enough. I originally stropped these "shave ready" razors after originally trying them. That was not enough, so I stropped on linen, rough leather, and with two different smooth leather. They need more work. I had to grab the shavette to compete the first pass.
proxy.php

9.5. I’d substitute MDC Fougere soap and Green Irish Tweed after shave. Notwithstanding, I feel fortunate to feel safe and have 9.5 experiences.

Heljestrand MK32 (recently acquired)
Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian in horn
TBS soap
Symmetrical Pottery bowl
DH balm
Lynn Abrams paddle for paste, Tony Miller (no pic) for strop
F957807F-1B59-49E2-B195-BEAA974FD277.jpeg

Top Bottom