What's new

Zen and The Art of Pipe Smoking

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was sitting under a flowering tree last night looking at the trees, flowers, grass and such having my last bowl of the day and letting my thoughts drift with the smoke. While I was peacefully zoning out on my waning Half and Half, it occurred to me that whoever thought up Zen must have been a pipe smoker.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm really starting to see why great thinkers (Einstein, Hemingway, etc.) were pipe smokers. The perfect restful activity to let your mind wander.
I am ADD, and smoking has always helped my mind slow down and focus. I have come up with solutions to many simulator problems while on a smoke break.

I was sitting under a flowering tree last night looking at the trees, flowers, grass and such having my last bowl of the day and letting my thoughts drift with the smoke. While I was peacefully zoning out on my waning Half and Half, it occurred to me that whoever thought up Zen must have been a pipe smoker.
Or a motorcycle mechanic.

"The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself." Probably the most influential book of my college career. I'll have to check, but my original copy is, I think, a first edition. The class that required it was likely in the fall of 1974 or spring of 1975, my senior year. I was pretty blown away by the book and have read it more than a few times. Pirsig made me think a lot about quality at a time in my life that fit well with the inquiry. It is about time to read it again.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
"The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself." Probably the most influential book of my college career. I'll have to check, but my original copy is, I think, a first edition. The class that required it was likely in the fall of 1974 or spring of 1975, my senior year. I was pretty blown away by the book and have read it more than a few times. Pirsig made me think a lot about quality at a time in my life that fit well with the inquiry. It is about time to read it again.
I believe I have read it three times and each time it had a greater effect. I believe he only wrote one more book, Lila I believe. It didn’t have the same impact though. When I’m resettled, I may read Motorcycle Maintenance again. I believe it is an every twenty year book.

I believe I have read it three times and each time it had a greater effect. I believe he only wrote one more book, Lila I believe. It didn’t have the same impact though. When I’m resettled, I may read Motorcycle Maintenance again. I believe it is an every twenty year book.
I bought Lila but never could get through it. I need to give it another try, probably after reading Zen... again.
I do suspect that as we pass through different seasons of our lives that we will find something different to appreciate in Pirsig's work.

I just bought it on audible. I've never read it but you Gentlemen have persuaded me to give it a listen.
Fair warning: The book can be rather obtuse at times. I don't want to say much more, but don't worry if you feel a little lost at times, I think we all did.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Fair warning: The book can be rather obtuse at times. I don't want to say much more, but don't worry if you feel a little lost at times, I think we all did.
A chapter and a half in and it's good so far. Thank you for the warning...I'll stick it out.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I've been listening to Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance while I smoke and I have to say it's really pleasant. I feel a bit like a deep thinker while enjoying my smoke and listening to Pirsig wax philosophical on this and that. It is rather centering to take some slow time in the morning for myself. I'm 4 chapters in and enjoying the book a lot. My smokes have been fantastic too. I'm not sure if the distraction of active listening is improving my smokes but it seems to be just the right balance. Thank you gentlemen for turning me on to the book!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've been listening to Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance while I smoke and I have to say it's really pleasant. I feel a bit like a deep thinker while enjoying my smoke and listening to Pirsig wax philosophical on this and that. It is rather centering to take some slow time in the morning for myself. I'm 4 chapters in and enjoying the book a lot. My smokes have been fantastic too. I'm not sure if the distraction of active listening is improving my smokes but it seems to be just the right balance. Thank you gentlemen for turning me on to the book!
Pipe smokers are known to be of a more philosophical bent. Pirsig changed me I believe more than any other writer. He hit a key note some how. I gave my last two Zen and the Art of Mororcycle Maintenance books away so will have to get another once resettled. More comes to light each time I read it. I pay much more attention to quality in everything now.

Top Bottom