What's new

Defensive Weapons

I think it's best to band together at a single location and pool your resources together. I have home owners insurance. If I have to abandon my home (not doing that until I absolutely have to), I'll slowly take things with me and kiss the rest goodbye. At least we'll leave with our lives and find safety as a group.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The conversation of bug out vs. bug in, is as contentious as 9mm vs. .45. One side says it’s easier to defend a well fortified stronghold, while others say, it’s better to stay moving out in the woods and avoid all others.

I think the reality is neither if you are alone. If one clearly thinks about both subjectively, neither choice would be defensible alone even for the short term.

Pro’s & Cons of Bugging In:

1. You have the benefit of a permanent fortified structure and can be stocked up on supplies and ammo.

But sooner or later, someone or a group of someone’s are going to want what you have, and they are going to attempt to burn you out to get it.

Is the family with you have enough fighting age males in your group to form a defensive perimeter around your fortified structure 24/7? If not, then there is no such thing as a fortified structure that can’t be overcome. And it will only be a matter of when, not a matter of if.

And if you do have this big group of personnel to protect, how long will your supplies realistically hold out for that size of group?

Pro’s & Cons Of Bugging Out:

Yes Bugging out to the woods will get you away from the hordes of people momentarily, but the question is, do you think you will be the only person out in those woods or mountains?

What do you do with the hordes of ammo you collected all these years but now can’t haul it with you because you have to travel light?

Other people will find those back dirt roads also, and if you truly want to bug out where others wouldn’t go? Trust me, the terrain will dictate that you must travel light. So leave all the guns & ammo behind.

If you are all alone and are knowledgeable and skilled in the way of the bush you can avoid most. But you have a family with you? Wife? Daughters?

Just know, There will be bush people out there who are skilled in the way also, maybe even lived out there most of their lives. And sadly, some of those will be of the mindset those woods and mountains belong to them, so they are going to help themselves to whatever you have.

Frankly, they have been waiting for times like these, just in order to find people like you. They didn’t have to go find victims, victims bugged out to them.
There are lots of reasons to have a bug-out kit in your car.

First, there are things in it that you might also use during normal times. I've had a breakdown at night and things like reflective vest and traffic flares and triangles have been useful. I've gotten cuts and abrasions and the first aid kits have been there. I once slid off the road into a ditch in snow (but thank God that's not likely again) and the tow chain and come-alongs meant I was back on the road before a tow truck could have gotten to me. In a wind storm a couple years ago a tree limb fell and blocked my driveway. Again. I had the stuff in the trunk to get it out of the way and clear up an exit.

We are also heading into hurricane season and I've had to evacuate several times in the past.

Yup, if you bug out you leave behind anything you can't bring with you BUT the things I keep in the bug-out kit for the most part are also things I can use during normal day to day activities.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well put @OkieStubble . I've gotten to the age of wanting to bug in and hold out as long as possible, perhaps to perish in place. No youngsters to worry about. Screw who ever comes against me, they may win in the end, but it will cost them dearly. GET OFF MY GRASS!

Agreed. I have too many people I love who, when they were young, willingly agreed with my logic and decisiveness as if their very young, innocent lives depended on it. :)

Now they are grown, and have their own logic and ways will come first now over mine, even in the face of the subject matter we are now discussing.

I have made vows to God to protect them, with my very life if necessary, even in the face of their own detriment.

So I will stay behind and possibly give my life, to protect their possible detrimental decisions.

I’m only left with the conclusion that today is a beautiful day to die. So the only question that Will remain for me is, how many am I taking with me. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

There are lots of reasons to have a bug-out kit in your car.

First, there are things in it that you might also use during normal times. I've had a breakdown at night and things like reflective vest and traffic flares and triangles have been useful. I've gotten cuts and abrasions and the first aid kits have been there. I once slid off the road into a ditch in snow (but thank God that's not likely again) and the tow chain and come-alongs meant I was back on the road before a tow truck could have gotten to me. In a wind storm a couple years ago a tree limb fell and blocked my driveway. Again. I had the stuff in the trunk to get it out of the way and clear up an exit.

We are also heading into hurricane season and I've had to evacuate several times in the past.

Yup, if you bug out you leave behind anything you can't bring with you BUT the things I keep in the bug-out kit for the most part are also things I can use during normal day to day activities.

This sounds like a typical vehicle emergency kit to me, not a “bug out” bag?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Can't afford Maui, so I'll just drink beer by my pool , with a gun within reach. But yeah, you right!

OkieStubble

I have a candle, blanket, bag of kitty litter and a jar of peanut butter in my trunk just like the next guy. :)

I’ve always had a “bug out” bag in my car. More so I case you know, I get framed for something. I can go hide while they work it all out. Lol! Just kidding. I just grew up that way, and haven’t stopped. My buddy’s all laugh. It’s like your mom’s handbag - I’ve got a little bit of everything. But no ones complained after they sliced themselves hunting or on my shooting lot when I pulled out everything they needed to get to where they needed comfortably. It’s come in handy a couple times.

Anyway, I sent my pistol via FedEx today. No problems. Now the long wait. I’m thinking I’m going to buy myself a little rifle to hold me over while I wait.

In other words, in a crisis, there is no "perfect solution". I'm not very knowledgeable about such things and always wonder what would be the best approach to a SHTF scenario. My wife has knee and back problems so bugging out is not a good solution for me. I need to sit down and come up with a plan. The recent events have me really thinking about things. We have pestilence and civil unrest upon us. These things can cause folks to act badly.

OkieStubble

In other words, in a crisis, there is no "perfect solution". I'm not very knowledgeable about such things and always wonder what would be the best approach to a SHTF scenario. My wife has knee and back problems so bugging out is not a good solution for me. I need to sit down and come up with a plan. The recent events have me really thinking about things. We have pestilence and civil unrest upon us. These things can cause folks to act badly.

You're in good company. neither are we...

I'm praying for pre-trib? :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"As in the days of Noah.... And Lot....." I'm thinking things could keep getting worser, lol!

I'll just take it as it comes. He is still on His throne and still not asking for the advice I'm ALWAYS trying to give Him!

Heck, with my heart and lungs I'll probably be in Glory BEFORE any trumpet sounds!

More on the topic of the OPs comments. I enjoy the AR pistols. I think my favorite of the ones I have is my 9mm side charging 10.5”. Takes Glock mags, so I can run with my Glock 19s and transition to the AR if ever the need would arise.

Meanwhile, it’s drastically cheaper to shoot and reload than my 556. I screw a can on it and go to town at the range. Since I reload I have a nice load worked out that remains subsonic in the AR and also works flawlessly in my glocks and Kimber 1911. It’s really enjoyable to shoot with no ears on and just make the stew ring down range.

I suppose if I needed more reach, I’d go for the FAL or M1A.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The conversation of bug out vs. bug in, is as contentious as 9mm vs. .45. One side says it’s easier to defend a well fortified stronghold, while others say, it’s better to stay moving out in the woods and avoid all others.

I think the reality is neither if you are alone. If one clearly thinks about both subjectively, neither choice would be defensible alone even for the short term.

Pro’s & Cons of Bugging In:

1. You have the benefit of a permanent fortified structure and can be stocked up on supplies and ammo.

But sooner or later, someone or a group of someone’s are going to want what you have, and they are going to attempt to burn you out to get it.

Is the family with you have enough fighting age males in your group to form a defensive perimeter around your fortified structure 24/7? If not, then there is no such thing as a fortified structure that can’t be overcome. And it will only be a matter of when, not a matter of if.

And if you do have this big group of personnel to protect, how long will your supplies realistically hold out for that size of group?

Pro’s & Cons Of Bugging Out:

Yes Bugging out to the woods will get you away from the hordes of people momentarily, but the question is, do you think you will be the only person out in those woods or mountains?

What do you do with the hordes of ammo you collected all these years but now can’t haul it with you because you have to travel light?

Other people will find those back dirt roads also, and if you truly want to bug out where others wouldn’t go? Trust me, the terrain will dictate that you must travel light. So leave all the guns & ammo behind.

If you are all alone and are knowledgeable and skilled in the way of the bush you can avoid most. But you have a family with you? Wife? Daughters?

Just know, There will be bush people out there who are skilled in the way also, maybe even lived out there most of their lives. And sadly, some of those will be of the mindset those woods and mountains belong to them, so they are going to help themselves to whatever you have.

Frankly, they have been waiting for times like these, just in order to find people like you. They didn’t have to go find victims, victims bugged out to them.

I am in awe of this analysis; thank you, OkieStubble.

May a lifetime of study be our greatest weapon.

AA

Top Bottom