What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
BriskSpice.jpg

Used an old favorite today. My nose and my memory tell me this is very much like the Old Spice from the 60s.

I found Avon Brisk Spice (vintage NOS) on eBay as I recall.

Happy scents,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Wednesday afternoon shave was a good one.

1593024458936.png

It's going to be interesting to see how this blade lasts. I think it's not as smooth as it was, but it's shaving decently and certainly isn't rough or causing discomfort.

6-24-20.VitosRed.70:30.FatipOCSlant.640.JPG

The 70/30 knot had its 28 th outing today. I believe the knot is coming along. Aside from the pokiness, which disappears with a bit of splaying, the knot is very very nice. I think the brush is showing signs of breaking in.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

It's hard to top the scent of the Beach.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Speaking of the beach, will you be going again this year Jim?

Yes, Mike, we're going. Thanks for asking.

I was planning to skip the beach this year because I don't think we can afford it, but my wife said she was going even if I didn't so I decided to go with her. There was no talking her out of the beach.

We're not going until very late in the season. The weather (unless there's a hurricane) will be great and the water will be at the perfect temperature. Finding a good rental house was surprisingly difficult but my wife finally found one which works for us. All the house are bigger than we need of course. We get a house directly on the beach (not across the street) which is worth paying extra for. We also insist on a house with a covered back porch, on the beach side, instead of an uncovered deck. We discovered having a roof over the porch vastly increases our enjoyment as we can always sit outside in the shade.

I do love the beach though regardless of when we go, but I like it better when it's less crowded. The beach we go to is really never crowded even if every beach house is filled with vacationers.

Obviously, I'm looking forward to the beach.

I also enjoy our pool. Not ours like a pool in the yard, but we're members of a neighborhood pool in a neighborhood about three miles away. Today I went there for a little while, maybe thirty minutes to exercise in the water and swim a little bit. I'm trying to do that almost every day. Usually there aren't many people there. Sometimes there are friends to visit with. Everyone sprays the tables and chairs with disinfectant spray before and after using them, and there's some social distancing, but no rigid enforcement of rules beyond what I consider common sense.

Being in water suits me very well.

My guess is it's still winter where you live, Mike, and you're getting out to cross country ski on occasion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes, Mike, we're going. Thanks for asking.

I was planning to skip the beach this year because I don't think we can afford it, but my wife said she was going even if I didn't so I decided to go with her. There was no talking her out of the beach.

We're not going until very late in the season. The weather (unless there's a hurricane) will be great and the water will be at the perfect temperature. Finding a good rental house was surprisingly difficult but my wife finally found one which works for us. All the house are bigger than we need of course. We get a house directly on the beach (not across the street) which is worth paying extra for. We also insist on a house with a covered back porch, on the beach side, instead of an uncovered deck. We discovered having a roof over the porch vastly increases our enjoyment as we can always sit outside in the shade.

I do love the beach though regardless of when we go, but I like it better when it's less crowded. The beach we go to is really never crowded even if every beach house is filled with vacationers.

Obviously, I'm looking forward to the beach.

I also enjoy our pool. Not ours like a pool in the yard, but we're members of a neighborhood pool in a neighborhood about three miles away. Today I went there for a little while, maybe thirty minutes to exercise in the water and swim a little bit. I'm trying to do that almost every day. Usually there aren't many people there. Sometimes there are friends to visit with. Everyone sprays the tables and chairs with disinfectant spray before and after using them, and there's some social distancing, but no rigid enforcement of rules beyond what I consider common sense.

Being in water suits me very well.

My guess is it's still winter where you live, Mike, and you're getting out to cross country ski on occasion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Its always good to get away for a while and unwind. I'm not much of a beach person and a quick look as I drive by one once a year is enough.

I'm not much for swimming either. I will if the boat sinks but not until then if I can help it lol.

Its been over 100F three days in a row here already and based on last winters snow accumulation, ski's and snowshoes are no longer needed. I hope.

Now that I've cursed myself, we'll get buried under, what use to be, our 'normal' 8-10 feet of snow this year haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Its always good to get away for a while and unwind. I'm not much of a beach person and a quick look as I drive by one once a year is enough.

I'm not much for swimming either. I will if the boat sinks but not until then if I can help it lol.

Its been over 100F three days in a row here already and based on last winters snow accumulation, ski's and snowshoes are no longer needed. I hope.

Now that I've cursed myself, we'll get buried under, what use to be, our 'normal' 8-10 feet of snow this year haha.

Much hotter there than here. Generally June is plenty hot here, but not so much this year. So far.

We did have our usual amount of snow.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My wife is at the beach. She left yesterday and will be back tomorrow so it's a quick beach trip. She's staying with one of her best friends and their extended family. Although I miss her it gives me an opportunity to have my favorite coffee.

Espro.6-26-20.640.JPG

The sides are actually parallel unlike in this photo. Even though I was unable to take a decent photo of my Espro, it still makes the best coffee.

I bought mine when they first hit the market. It was expensive but I was motivated by yet another broken glass French Press, and it's turned out to be a great purchase. This is the largest of their models (I think it still is). It both looks and seems huge, but it only makes about three of the large mugs of coffee I drink; that's with me knowing the secret way to extract more coffee from a French Press; not sure where I learned that bit of esoterica.

I use a very coarse grind with this FP. It makes the best coffee in my opinion. Shout out to Rave @Raven Koenes as we've discussed FP coffee and this maker.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My wife is at the beach. She left yesterday and will be back tomorrow so it's a quick beach trip. She's staying with one of her best friends and their extended family. Although I miss her it gives me an opportunity to have my favorite coffee.

View attachment 1118021

The sides are actually parallel unlike in this photo. Even though I was unable to take a decent photo of my Espro, it still makes the best coffee.

I bought mine when they first hit the market. It was expensive but I was motivated by yet another broken glass French Press, and it's turned out to be a great purchase. This is the largest of their models (I think it still is). It both looks and seems huge, but it only makes about three of the large mugs of coffee I drink; that's with me knowing the secret way to extract more coffee from a French Press; not sure where I learned that bit of esoterica.

I use a very coarse grind with this FP. It makes the best coffee in my opinion. Shout out to Rave @Raven Koenes as we've discussed FP coffee and this maker.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I ended up with they typical glass French Coffee Press. I really like the coffee it makes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was very good, as usual.

6-26-20.FOCS.70:30.VitosRed.640.JPG

29th shave with the 70/30 Maggard knot. It's coming along in the break in process, but it's not "there" yet. Split ends are hard to come by with this knot, but they are developing, and the feel of the knot is improving.

1593191782809.png

Again today the blade seems A-OK to me.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

If you like bay rum, you're likely to love this bay rum. Me, I like all straight bay rums, but this is by far my favorite of them all.

There isn't anything to not like about today's kit.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ended up with they typical glass French Coffee Press. I really like the coffee it makes.

If when it breaks (assuming yours is like the ones I had)...

The main issue for me with the breakage was the danger of the broken glass. They tend to break at bad times. Other than that I like the look of glass better than SS in a FP. The coffee? It's great either way according to my taste buds.

So, Rave, how do you like the coffee your FP makes? To me, the FP makes the best coffee, but maybe it's just the best according to my taste buds and nobody else's.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If when it breaks (assuming yours is like the ones I had)...

The main issue for me with the breakage was the danger of the broken glass. They tend to break at bad times. Other than that I like the look of glass better than SS in a FP. The coffee? It's great either way according to my taste buds.

So, Rave, how do you like the coffee your FP makes? To me, the FP makes the best coffee, but maybe it's just the best according to my taste buds and nobody else's.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I love the coffee it makes. I can measure exactley to my taste. It saves money from making a hole pot. While the coffee is steeping, I put brown sugar, half and half, and a little bit of black strap molasses in a cup. It's good!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday, in the midst of Bizarro World, my shave was a breath of fresh air.

6-27-20.ShortManchurian.Vitos.FOCS.640.JPG

I'd forgotten just how soft this Zenith Manchurian brush feels on my face. Lovely scrub. Nice backbone. Deliciously soft. Lathers wonderfully well. It's not even my favorite Zenith Manchurian, but it is one great brush. Big shout out to Cal @Cal and Rave @Raven Koenes.

1593277278497.png

The Polsilver blade is going strong. Quite smooth feeling. Shaving as well, I think, as it did on days one and two.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

What a lovely ^ scent! Beach!

Speaking of scents, and this is mostly for Mike @Esox, I was able to easily smell the scent of this soap today. As you know, yesterday it was cut from a block of Vitos and pressed into the tub. The scent was definitely much weaker than when I cut and pressed it, but it's still stronger than I want it to be. I could smell both the marzipan scent and the coconut scent (yesterday I could smell only the marzipan).

I'm going to leave the puck open expecting the scent of marzipan will further dissipate. I'll use my Vitos Green tomorrow and allow 48 hours before trying the new Red again.

No, I'm not saying the Red's scent is intolerable. It's not that strong, but I want it gone. I suspect it will greatly diminish soon enough. I've got plenty of Green and it's much like the Red in its performance, enough so that I won't be ashamed of using it for a shave or three.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Speaking of scents, and this is mostly for Mike @Esox, I was able to easily smell the scent of this soap today. As you know, yesterday it was cut from a block of Vitos and pressed into the tub. The scent was definitely much weaker than when I cut and pressed it, but it's still stronger than I want it to be. I could smell both the marzipan scent and the coconut scent (yesterday I could smell only the marzipan).

I'm going to leave the puck open expecting the scent of marzipan will further dissipate. I'll use my Vitos Green tomorrow and allow 48 hours before trying the new Red again.

No, I'm not saying the Red's scent is intolerable. It's not that strong, but I want it gone. I suspect it will greatly diminish soon enough. I've got plenty of Green and it's much like the Red in its performance, enough so that I won't be ashamed of using it for a shave or three.

I'm not thinking the scent will pose much of a problem for me. One thing I am curious about though is how soft the soap actually is. I do have some perfume oils that I could knead into it if it's soft enough to work like a heavy, stiff dough. I remember you said it was soft enough to mold into a container with your thumbs so that might be an option. Adding a bit of water to make that even easier is another.

For the cost, lots of experiments could be done with a large block of it cut into pieces.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not thinking the scent will pose much of a problem for me. One thing I am curious about though is how soft the soap actually is. I do have some perfume oils that I could knead into it if it's soft enough to work like a heavy, stiff dough. I remember you said it was soft enough to mold into a container with your thumbs so that might be an option. Adding a bit of water to make that even easier is another.

For the cost, lots of experiments could be done with a large block of it cut into pieces.

It's pretty soft. Like putty I'd say. Not soft like watery. Definitely a soap. Definitely not a truly hard soap. Definitely nothing like a cream. In other words: Perfect.

You'll see soon enough.

I think one could add a scent easily enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom