What's new

Hand Stropping Really WORKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc&feature=channel_page

I watched this video a couple weeks ago(I think that our friend New Orleans posted it on a thread).I was impressed about it and I wanted to try it on.I have been thinking on buying a blade sharpener(a vintage Kris Kros) just for colectionism,not for using it really,but I thought that I could be a great idea to use it in some of my favourites blades for lasting their lifes...anyway I did watch this video and I thought that I was gonna strop my blade with my hand ,and about 9 days ago I started.Today I had my 9th shave with the same blade (Gillette Swede) with the same razor(Fatboy) adjusted at the same number(4).I always do a 4 passes shave(1WTH,2XTG,1ATG) and the blade its still cutting really well, like if it were brand new.I talked to a wet shaver friend today and told me that his granpa used the same method and the blades lasted him for over a month!!!Well,I dont know if I wanna(or could) shave with the same blade for over a month but so far today I had my 9th shave with the same blade and Im impress it.(no burn,cuts or nicks)
In the video you can see how GemCutlery(is his nickmane) uses only 2 strops for the DE blade.I have been doing ten strops per each side (40 in total) and the blade still performing excellent.Im gonna try it in other blades like Feathers and IPs to see how they perform too.
I have been reading a lot of threads of people whos economical situation is not good(like students) and I think that this is something that could help you save a couple bucks/euros/yens/whatever the currency you use and still getting BBS shaves.
Just wanna thank GemCutlery for posting this video in youtube and for the person who posted here in one of the threads.
Give me your feedbacks If you have been doing the same or whats your tecnique sharpering or stropping a blade.
Greetings!

Teiste,

Thanks for linking me to Dave's video. I tried this last night on a blade I was about to discard and was able to get a perfect, no irritation shave from it.

Thanks once again!!!

DL

Teiste,

Thanks for linking me to Dave's video. I tried this last night on a blade I was about to discard and was able to get a perfect, no irritation shave from it.

Thanks once again!!!

DL

THANKS to you Dustin for talking about the GEMs!Im expecting mine soon.Ill keep you post it about how it works for me!Greetings!

Now I'm going to have to try this in a few weeks...

What kind of grit is a human hand anyways? I'd be interested to know a rough estimate.

THANKS to you Dustin for talking about the GEMs!Im expecting mine soon.Ill keep you post it about how it works for me!Greetings!

You are quite welcome, my friend! Please let us know the results. I think you will be satisfied with the 1912!

DL

I've tried it with my de blades a few months back. I then decided it wasn't worth accidentally cutting myself. Lets just say I had a close call one day...

so far today I had my 9th shave with the same blade and Im impress it.(no burn,cuts or nicks)

This morning I had my 7th shave with a Persona Gem single edge blade. And to top it off, the shave was 100% BBS with zero irritation or nicks! I am very impressed with this technique.

Once again, thank you Teiste!!!

DL

I get mixed results. I made a gillette yellow sharpedge just good enough for a shave (just, it wasn't very satisfactory and I tossed it afterwards), and I think it made my croma blade worse.

I use a KAI shavette and tried hand stropping for fun. Then i realised that my shaves does improve after stropping (after it has been used a few times). Usually i'll apply some lather on my palm before stropping, plus the blade is held in the shavette, so less danger of slipping and cutting myself. Usually 20 times per side will do.

I use a KAI shavette and tried hand stropping for fun. Then i realised that my shaves does improve after stropping (after it has been used a few times). Usually i'll apply some lather on my palm before stropping, plus the blade is held in the shavette, so less danger of slipping and cutting myself. Usually 20 times per side will do.

thats a good idea!I will try to stop the blade with some lather on my palm to see the results.Today was my 10th shave with the Gillette Swede and once again 4 passes,some buffing and perfect!

You do know that gemcutlery is D.Irving79 who is a member here, and he has got to 30 shaves with a swede?
There's a target for you!
Also swedes do last longer than most blades anyway, 10 shaves without stropping was fairly common, hence the reason why so may were prepared to pay the high price for them.

Last edited:
Ok, I want to know how many shaves people are getting out of the various SE blades with hand-stropping

Gem / Pella PTFE?

Pal Carbon Steel?

Treet Carbon Steel?

Gem Blue Star?

You do know that gemcutlery is D.Irving79 who is a member here, and he has got to 30 shaves with a swede?
There's a target for you!
Also swedes do last longer than most blades anyway, 10 shaves without stropping was fairly common, hence the reason why so may were prepared to pay the high price for them.

thanks for the information about it Im really tankful to D.Irving79 for making that video...im just working in getting my 11th shave tomorrow and well see where I get...and yes Gillettes Swedes are worthy the price...for me much better than Feathers.

Ok, I want to know how many shaves people are getting out of the various SE blades with hand-stropping

Gem / Pella PTFE?

Pal Carbon Steel?

Treet Carbon Steel?

Gem Blue Star?

Just recently saw the video and made hand stroping part of my pre-shave routine. On Friday (without hand stroping) I shaved with my 1912 trying to get one more shave out of a blade I shouldn't have pressed (mediocre shave, bumps and tugging on my neck, etc.) On Monday I removed the Gem single edge blade and gave it about 10 hand strops on each side. The results were fantastic and it shaved like a brand new blade.

Top Bottom