What's new

I just want to hang a pipe from my face and smell tobacco, but I don't want to smoke.

I want to be a poser, essentially.

I love the smell of good tobacco, and I appreciate pipes as beautiful objects, but I had an uncle who smoked a pipe for decades and died of oral cancer. I know it's a crap shoot and some people smoke forever without getting cancer, but that kinda put me off of the whole thing.

How much would you guys ridicule someone who just walked around with an unlit pipe full of good tobacco in his mouth? Would you even smell it enough unlit? I imagine so, because walking into an old fashioned tobacconist is like walking through the gates of Heaven.

I did it for years :)

Go for it.

Nice! Not the first reply that I expected to see here, haha. I've had my eye on a rusticated Brebbia for years. And I've smelled some tobaccos that are very smoky and remind me of good scotch. Did you find that the tobacco retained its smell very long when exposed to the air?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When it dries out it loses a bit, but smoky Latakia will smell for a long time.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I love the smell of good tobacco, and I appreciate pipes as beautiful objects, but I had an uncle who smoked a pipe for decades and died of oral cancer. I know it's a crap shoot and some people smoke forever without getting cancer, but that kinda put me off of the whole thing.

How much would you guys ridicule someone who just walked around with an unlit pipe full of good tobacco in his mouth? Would you even smell it enough unlit? I imagine so, because walking into an old fashioned tobacconist is like walking through the gates of Heaven.
This is an excellent time for doing just that. Just put some in your surgical mask and you will be the only one who will know 😂

There are a number of shaving soaps and aftershaves/colognes that have a tobacco scent. You have to be careful, though as some have the scent of tobacco flower, some the scent of cut tobacco, some the scent of cigars, and some the scent of pipe tobacco. Try That Soap lists 357 products that have some sort of tobacco scent.

Many years ago, I used to smoke a pipe and then later I smoked cigars. I still love the aroma of a good English blend pipe tobacco with Latakia providing a smoky, spicy note. I also love the aroma of a good hand-rolled, long-filler cigar with Maduro or Camaroon wrapper.

There are a number of shaving soaps and aftershaves/colognes that have a tobacco scent. You have to be careful, though as some have the scent of tobacco flower, some the scent of cut tobacco, some the scent of cigars, and some the scent of pipe tobacco. Try That Soap lists 357 products that have some sort of tobacco scent.

Many years ago, I used to smoke a pipe and then later I smoked cigars. I still love the aroma of a good English blend pipe tobacco with Latakia providing a smoky, spicy note. I also love the aroma of a good hand-rolled, long-filler cigar with Maduro or Camaroon wrapper.

What a brilliant suggestion! I imagine there are many great men's fragrances inspired by tobacco as well. Maybe I should get my fix this way instead. Hmm...

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
If you're looking for that smoke scent you should use Pirate Kake from Cornell and Diehl...it ought to retain its smokiness for a while. If you go for the unlit pipe idea that is.

How much would you guys ridicule someone who just walked around with an unlit pipe full of good tobacco in his mouth? Would you even smell it enough unlit?

First of all, it doesn't matter if we laugh or not. Do you. Anything worth doing for you, someone somewhere will not only find fault with it, but feel you absolutely must hear their opinions on the subject. Ignore them.

Second, you'll still be able to smell it unlit. Don't worry about that.

First of all, it doesn't matter if we laugh or not. Do you. Anything worth doing for you, someone somewhere will not only find fault with it, but feel you absolutely must hear their opinions on the subject. Ignore them.

Second, you'll still be able to smell it unlit. Don't worry about that.
Lololol ridiculous idea. Don't listen to this guy. I'll tell you what I really think:

Just kidding. He's right :)

One of my favourite shave soaps comes tom mind, Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. Greats smell and performance both.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I've never really done that. I always end up actually smoking it. But I frequently will take a few sips before I light it, and it's always nice. Especially since I tend to smoke too fast. I like to think the unlit flavor is closer to the ideal smoking flavor than what I usually get. Aromatics really shine in this area. The highest compliment an aromatic can receive is that it tastes like it smells, and that's what you get if you don't light it.

I've never really done that. I always end up actually smoking it. But I frequently will take a few sips before I light it, and it's always nice. Especially since I tend to smoke too fast. I like to think the unlit flavor is closer to the ideal smoking flavor than what I usually get. Aromatics really shine in this area. The highest compliment an aromatic can receive is that it tastes like it smells, and that's what you get if you don't light it.

This post may have pushed me over the edge. I'm gonna start really looking at pipes today. Anybody got a recommendation for something with a black rustic finish? Preferably with a curve as opposed to straight. I'm not up on shape terminology.

Your thread reads like a metaphor for going to a strip bar. In that vein, I laugh at every man who goes to a strip bar and falls in love.

Walk into a tobacconist and enjoy. Know there is a sanctuary there for you. But walking around with an unlit pipe, smoking a cigarette without inhaling, and going to a strip bar looking for love are all offenses well worthy of ridicule.

But do you really care if I’m laughing at you?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
This post may have pushed me over the edge. I'm gonna start really looking at pipes today. Anybody got a recommendation for something with a black rustic finish? Preferably with a curve as opposed to straight. I'm not up on shape terminology.

This might help with pipe shapes:

I haven't smoked out of a Rossi pipe, but you might want to check out their Lucca line of pipes. Rossi pipes are based on Savinelli pipes, and their Lucca pipes have a rusticated black finish.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I hope this isn't too much of a personal question, because I have no intention to offend. But, your post makes me curious and wonder, how much and often did your Uncle smoke his pipe?

Top Bottom