What's new

Defensive Weapons

I figure everyone needs a SHTF gun even if they don’t, and I’ve had my fair share. Depending on where I was living, they all took on different looks. Shotguns, handguns, levers... I eventually jumped on the AR bandwagon about 4 years ago and got a Colt AR. It was awesome, but it was “heavy” and cumbersome after I put a scope and who knows what else on it. I traded it in for a 10.5” AR pistol. A Springfield Armory (SA) Edge pistol.

1593039743307.png

The 10.5” barrel loses quite a bit of velocity compared to a 16”. Enough that choosing the right ammo for it was something I gave a lot of thought to. Aside from that though, the gun is fantastic. It’s perfectly ballecend for me and extremely handy. The “perfect” defensive weapon for me.

Alas, I finally figured what ammo I wanted to use, got it all sighted in and then the gun stopped functioning properly. I could have messed with it some more, but it’s under warranty so I caved and wrote SA an email yesterday. Hopefully by tomorrow they’ll send me the shipping info.

I hate sending back guns when I don’t have anything comparable on hand. But you got to do what you got to do.

What’s your SHTF gun? How did it come to be? Ever have to send it back?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don’t have a SHFT “gun.” But I do have a few “guns” that could all be used when SHFT.

Savage 110 .270 Leupold VX 3.5x10x40

Remington 700 Police .308 Leupold MK4 4.5x

Colt LE 6920 M4 MagPul furniture with EOTech XPS-2 and 3XMagnifier.

Rock River LAR-15.18” Match grade barrel, Surefire free float MagPul stock. Leupold VX-R 3x9x40 with picatinny tactical rings and Deltapoint Pro 2.5 Motion On Red Dot sitting on top. Rock River two-stage trigger.

Remington 870 Police 2 3/4 -3” inch magnum Scattergun II Technologies 16” parkerized barrel and receiver with Ghost Ring and Trijicon Illuminated front post. 6+1 magazine tube with 7 shot side saddle carrier and tactical sling.

Ruger stainless steel 10/22 with composite stock. Many Ruger BX-25 magazines.

Marlin 336Y .30-.30

Glock 20 Gen4 10mm

Glock 30 Gen3 .45

Glock 23 Gen3 .40

Glock 32 Gen3 .357 Sig

Glock 19 Gen4 9mm

Glock 43X. 9mm

Ruger Blackhawk Bisley .44

Ruger SP101 .357

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I may have a few....
AR Pistol .300 BO 10.5 in. barrel that I built
Robinson Arms XCR in 7.62 x 39
A couple of Bushmaster ARs in 5.56
M-1 Carbine
M1A1 Scout
M1 Garrand
Chinese AK 47 semiauto
SKS

and a bunch of other stuff.....shot guns, bolt action rifles, a slew of pistols, lever guns, etc., etc.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have to get a shotgun. I may go looking this weekend.

I have a Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor with a cheap target scope...cheap, but good.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter. Too much is the same as not enough. Without imitating anyone else, you should have as much weaponry as suits you.”

-Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

MM is worthy of study, and his book is a short read.

Now. Tell us what went wrong with that SA Edge? I wanted one of those.

AA

AR-18 - 5.56 NATO

1921/28 navy over stamp - 45 acp

1911 Colts - 45 acp

AR-7 - 22 cal

S would have to really HTF before these would ever see the light of day. If they ever did come out it would have to be the total breakdown of society. Collapse of police and military. No turning back. One way street.

I do not foresee this happening but I am prepared should the end of civilization come.

Last edited:
You guys are of course right, everything is a SHTF weapon if S really HTF. No question. But I’ve always had a hard time justifying my AR, hence the terminology. I really need to shoot some prairie dogs with it so that it becomes my rodent gun. At the end of the day though, I really think it’s my most fun pistol! it’s a laser out to two hundred. The 10.3” AR is crazy versatile.

Man, Springfields warranty department is super slow though! I expected the shipping info yesterday. I’m still waiting. It’s crazy, now that I know I’m shipping it, I want it gone. Weird.

Sometimes it’s just the decline of western civilization as we know it. You’ll probably have time to prep. Sometimes it’s an earthquake/tsunami/tornado in 20 minutes or less...

sometimes you simply will have to run what ya brung or can scrounge. you may not be anywhere near your cache when it happens.

Arthur Dent full.jpeg

OkieStubble

Sometimes it’s just the decline of western civilization as we know it. You’ll probably have time to prep. Sometimes it’s an earthquake/tsunami/tornado in 20 minutes or less...

sometimes you simply will have to run what ya brung or can scrounge. you may not be anywhere near your cache when it happens.

View attachment 1117655

Spot On. I have a old rusty butter knife I can sharpen with a rock on standby. :)

OkieStubble

I may have a few....
AR Pistol .300 BO 10.5 in. barrel that I built
Robinson Arms XCR in 7.62 x 39
A couple of Bushmaster ARs in 5.56
M-1 Carbine
M1A1 Scout
M1 Garrand
Chinese AK 47 semiauto
SKS

and a bunch of other stuff.....shot guns, bolt action rifles, a slew of pistols, lever guns, etc., etc.

M1A1 Scout... that’ll punch a few tickets.

The say the best defensive weapon is one you can wield with confidence in a stressful situation. Thus, like shaving, it is very much a YMMV thing.

I've been starting to look for one of those short barrel bird's head grip shotguns that are meant to be fired from the waist. Mossberg is really the only manufacturer that I know of for those, though, and Shockwaves are impossible to find. Anywhere.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

View attachment 1117655
Always armed with one.

Top Bottom