What's new

Arko arrives tomorrow! What have I done?!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Bought 3 sticks for around $6.00 Can when I first started traditional wet shaving and one of the better soaps for cost. Scent drives 50% of shaving folks bonkers and I'm on the same stick after 3 1/2yrs. After 3 years the scent is hardly there but I have to agree with others who find it a drying soap to the skin a little. I found it is a thirsty soap and produces beautiful lather and is a well known soap. It is not my favorite soap for scent but it works and tomorrow I going to have a face lather with it. I have other soaps that have good scents and have great lather qualities also so Arko has kind of lost out in my soap rotation, still enjoy to use it once in a while just to let myself know how spoiled I am. Arko also makes a lot of different tube creams with good scents from my understanding from different threads.

I think Williams has a strong citronella scent. To me, Arko has more of a bland powdery ivory scent. I'm not saying that I like the smell of Arko. But It gets the job done fast and cheap. I sometimes use it when I need a quick, no fuss shave. After all, it is an excellent performer. I picked it up in stick form. Then I cut it in half, smashed one half into an empty tub. The other I put into a repurposed empty travel-sized deodorant stick. The stick is in my Dopp bag. That way, no one will steal my travel bag. :)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It's a good, clean, industrial lemon soap scent. Reminds me of the soap in the jacks at school when I was a kid. I think that's why guys associate it with the smell of urinal cakes- they confuse the scent of school urinals with school bathroom soap. Arko doesn't smell like a urinal cake; rather, it smells like the soap you used after you piddled on the urinal cake. All you need to complete the experience is a roll of the brown paper towels that looked and smelled like a heavy duty paper bag.

I couldn't help it...I just kept hearing so many people rave about it. I bought the plastic tub.

But...if it smells like a urinal cake...it's going in the garbage!
Now that you've purchased some, you can decide for yourself whether or not you like it. If you don't, give it to someone who might appreciate it. If you find it dries out your skin, you can always just use it to break in a brush rather than using one of your more expensive soaps. Good luck with your experience.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD - Wed, June 24th 2020- A very inexpensive shave today!

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 baton handle :001_wub: Parade- Mfg 1943, Excellent razor, mid range & no blade overhang.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) Very sharp, excellent longevity, good cost, smooths out nicely over blade life cycle!
Soap: ARKO- legendary shavers soap and very controversial Scent, great lather qualities IMO.:001_tt2:
brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft synthetic- great brush, does everything I want and a little more.
Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 (WTG,ATG) + pickups.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Just a great shave with my Gem Jr 1912 with baton handle.

SE SOTD - June 24th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

SE SOTD - Wed, June 24th 2020- A very inexpensive shave today!

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 baton handle :001_wub: Parade- Mfg 1943, Excellent razor, mid range & no blade overhang.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) Very sharp, excellent longevity, good cost, smooths out nicely over blade life cycle!
Soap: ARKO- legendary shavers soap and very controversial Scent, great lather qualities IMO.:001_tt2:
brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft synthetic- great brush, does everything I want and a little more.
Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 (WTG,ATG) + pickups.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Just a great shave with my Gem Jr 1912 with baton handle.

SE SOTD - June 24th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
Still have that razorock brush on my holiday list just for the color!
Sure that shows up visible to a bathroom floor if it breaks ( had a white brush splintered in a white tiled shower and no glasses, a fakir start of last year and so far nope does not bring much luck)

I really don't understand how this "urinal puck scent" thing started
It smells like SOAP. That's it. people are way too used to all these modern fragranced soaps that smells like anything but soap. I don't know what kind of urinal pucks y'all are smelling lol....
That's my theory anyway.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Came in today's mail. I can see what some of the folks meant when they said, it smells like Ivory soap with a touch of lemon. I can deal with the smell. If I think of a urinal cake smell...there is a feint resemblance, but like all my soaps, I keep my nose close and keep sniffing to try and break out the details. It's more like a pure soap smell to me. I'll be giving it a go within the next week. Understandably curious. But for now...at least for me...the scent is not a deal breaker.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Came in today's mail. I can see what some of the folks meant when they said, it smells like Ivory soap with a touch of lemon. I can deal with the smell. If I think of a urinal cake smell...there is a feint resemblance, but like all my soaps, I keep my nose close and keep sniffing to try and break out the details. It's more like a pure soap smell to me. I'll be giving it a go within the next week. Understandably curious. But for now...at least for me...the scent is not a deal breaker.
... and that’s all that matters!

Top Bottom