What's new

A guide to cleaning and disinfecting razors (with steps)

A thought occurred to me, as a result of reading all the above - does anyone clean razor blades before first use ? especially vintage NOS blades or those that have been stored for many years ?

I ask that because i would guess its the razor edge that is possibly going to cut into the skin, so that has to be sterile(ish) i guess ?

Thanks for posting the NCCEH link, @Scaramouche! As a layperson it is interesting to see how much of this stuff I can understand. At first glance, this document looks to pretty comprehensible - will read it a bit later.

Thanks for posting the NCCEH link, @Scaramouche! As a layperson it is interesting to see how much of this stuff I can understand. At first glance, this document looks to pretty comprehensible - will read it a bit later.

You're welcome! The paper is a Canadian study, but follows fairly closely CDC or OSHA recommended sterilization/disinfection guidelines for what are termed Critical, Semi-Critical and Non-Critical items. The tables are actually the most useful part, condensing what has been discussed to a fare-thee-well in the forums here. You'll note that razors are listed as Critical and Semi-Critical, and sterilization and high-level disinfection are recommended, but are referenced as commercial use. For a personal razor, in reference to the above, terminal sterilization is almost never require for any of these before use. I say almost, because if you inherited a straight razor from anyone for example HCV positive, and you just had to use it immediately, you'll want to sterilize that sucker. Three weeks later, doesn't matter, and so on for other organisms. Endospores, as noted, won't by inactivated by any chemical sterilants or sanitizers without hours of contact time (which would likely destroy many metal finishes on razors), and shouldn't be a consideration for any normal use of a personal razor. Other than straights, razors are considered single (mostly) use disposables, and are "clean" on first use, although usually not sterile from the factory (and they don't need to be). That said, I do soak my razors and new blades in Barbicide before use, for reasons I've discussed before:

It's easy, cheap and fast, but it's really a personal choice, and repeating many comments, totally not necessary in normal daily life. I do occasionally come in contact with organisms I'd rather not give the benefit of a doubt, so that's what I do. For the average shaver, pop in a blade, rinse and shave. Your mileage, and kilometerage, will certainly vary. :001_smile

Washing removes spores physically. Nothing in a dumpster can survive a proper 70% alcohol treatment.

Use Barbicide if you want to, but people don't have to.

FYI I'm a pediatric infectious diseases physician and wrote one textbook on infectious diseases and was the editor of another.
I use only vintage razors.

I only clean mine with soap, toothpaste and water. After each use a spray it with 90% alcohol.

Every three months or so I will clean with toothpaste mostly to keep up the shine.

Question
I’m hearing others clean with barcode, scrubbing bubbles, etc and then shine with flitz, MAS, etc.

Can all of this cause damage?
What sort of damage?

Nice education thread.

Last edited:
My razors are on a 3-4 week rotation. When a razor has batted around and heading back to the dugout, I give a liberal spritz with any 'Scrubbing bubbles' soap scum remover. A quick lap or two with an old toothbrush, cold water rinse and voila! a shiny soap scum free razor ready for air dry and back to the 'bench'.

I have a nice collection of vintage and modern razors and have been doing this method for few years now with no effects to the finish of the razor.

Sorry to dredge an old thread. I’m getting a vintage Tech in the mail. Is there any reason to use Barbicide over something everyone already has: rubbing alcohol. Is it not effective for this purpose? Is it harmful to the razor/plating?

Top Bottom