What's new

King C. Gillette razor

I picked up one of these at a local Walgreens. I loaded it with a Gillette Silver Blue and lather up with some Taylor’s of Old Bond Street and shaved with it. It was incredibly mild. So mild that I thought there was a problem and there was, a paper insert in the head that I somehow missed.

Today, I gave it a try again and still found it to be the mildest razor that I own. Much milder than my Slims, than my Flare-tip SuperSpeed, milder than the Heritage, my Schick Krona, even milder than my Ball-end Tech. So mild, in fact, that it takes three plus passes to get anything close to a DFS.

I believe this has to do partly with the head geometry, which appears to the naked eye to be different, with much less blade exposure than the Heritage, and the weight distribution, in which the handle is very heavy compared to the head of the razor making it very “head light” with the balance point about 1/3 the way down the handle whereas the Heritage’s balance point is just above the first ring on the handle.

Has anyone else found this razor to be incredibly mild?
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applaud Gillette for dipping another toe into the test market water to see if there's a viable future in returning to DE shaving. However, IMO, they're going about it all wrong. Their tried-and-true Tech design would have been a better design choice. As it stands now, their recent offerings are just another potmetal wünder, not even a Gillette design.
Sorry, but I'll stick to my REAL vintage Gillettes for my BBS shaves.

I applaud Gillette for dipping another toe into the test market water to see if there's a viable future in returning to DE shaving. However, IMO, they're going about it all wrong. Their tried-and-true Tech design would have been a better design choice. As it stands now, their recent offerings are just another potmetal wünder, not even a Gillette design.
Sorry, but I'll stick to my REAL vintage Gillettes for my BBS shaves.

Let me clarify, my favorite razors are my Father’s Schick J-1 Injector and my “grail”, my Slim G3 Aristocrat.

I bought the Heritage and King C. Gillette more out of curiosity than anything else.

No issues here really other than I've used it once so far I do like the blades, the knurling could be more on the handle compared to my merkur 38c hd handle on the king c Gillette little long for me but I had no Nick's or cuts or what's so ever used with a week and half growth

For me, the shave had more blade feel & was more aggressive than a Merkur 23/33C which are generally considered to be mild.

I’m four shaves in with mine, and I really, really like it. Works best with less than 2 days growth. Shaving on 4 days growth left me feeling like I hadn’t shaved for a day (3 passes)! However, incredibly smooth feel on my face with great audible feedback. Finally a DFS this morning and I’ll bet a near BBS is right around the corner.

Mild? Yes
Comfortable? Absolutely
Sharp blades? Definitely

I picked up one of these at a local Walgreens. I loaded it with a Gillette Silver Blue and lather up with some Taylor’s of Old Bond Street and shaved with it. It was incredibly mild. So mild that I thought there was a problem and there was, a paper insert in the head that I somehow missed.

Today, I gave it a try again and still found it to be the mildest razor that I own. Much milder than my Slims, than my Flare-tip SuperSpeed, milder than the Heritage, my Schick Krona, even milder than my Ball-end Tech. So mild, in fact, that it takes three plus passes to get anything close to a DFS.

I believe this has to do partly with the head geometry, which appears to the naked eye to be different, with much less blade exposure than the Heritage, and the weight distribution, in which the handle is very heavy compared to the head of the razor making it very “head light” with the balance point about 1/3 the way down the handle whereas the Heritage’s balance point is just above the first ring on the handle.

Has anyone else found this razor to be incredibly mild?
proxy.php

It is mild but no where as mild as you describe in my experience with it.

The head geometry is identical to the Heritage minus the carved out underside of the baseplate which wouldn’t affect the shave quality. Weight is lighter slightly because of the aesthetic change underneath but that heavy handle makes up for that.

Not sure what your issue could be. I have a 57 Flare tip Super Speed and the Super Speed is much milder in comparison in my experience.

It is mild but no where as mild as you describe in my experience with it.

The head geometry is identical to the Heritage minus the carved out underside of the baseplate which wouldn’t affect the shave quality. Weight is lighter slightly because of the aesthetic change underneath but that heavy handle makes up for that.

Not sure what your issue could be. I have a 57 Flare tip Super Speed and the Super Speed is much milder in comparison in my experience.
I am not convinced the head geometry is the same. The KCG appears to have a more curved cap and higher center ridges, which are placed loser together than the Heritage. Also, there appears to be about 2/3rds the blade exposure.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the razor. My current favorite mild buy efficient razor is the Yaqi Tech. But the KCG razor will not be put on the trash heap.

I am not convinced the head geometry is the same. The KCG appears to have a more curved cap and higher center ridges, which are placed loser together than the Heritage. Also, there appears to be about 2/3rds the blade exposure.

I thought at first that my EJ was slightly milder than the Heritage after shaving with the EJ for a week before the Heritage was delivered. Swapped handles and the shave was the same.

Thought the KCG was slightly milder than the Heritage also until I switched handles and again the shave was the same. I learned basically that the Heritage handle is just better for the _89 design for me, whether it be the EJ, KCG, Heritage or R89. Mühle collaborated with EJ with the _89 so they’re all pretty much the same except for the brass threads on th Mühle and Gillette rebrands.

Aesthetic cap and baseplate differences shouldn’t affect geometry.

Also, there appears to be about 2/3rds the blade exposure.

You can eyeball a difference of less than 2/1000 of an inch (exposure in a mild razor typically being less than ;005")?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

You could try shimming the razor. There are plenty of threads detailing this, just do a search with "shimming razors".
The good news is, if you don't want to mess about there are a plethora of more efficient razors available on the market.

Nice to see someone compare the Heritage to the KCG. I already have and Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Merkur 34C HD. So, I see no reason to go out and buy another Zamak razor that shaves like the DE89. If Gillette ever gets around to offering a razor that represents a close approximation to it's own prior designs, like the Tech, and made of a metal such as brass, stainless steel, etc., then I might be tempted. Until then I'll sit by and wait. And if the day never comes, I'm ok with that too.

Its mild but its still a great razor. I find that I can get an easy 2-pass DFS with it with no nicks or weepers usually. I still prefer my vintage Gillettes though.

Its mild but its still a great razor. I find that I can get an easy 2-pass DFS with it with no nicks or weepers usually. I still prefer my vintage Gillettes though.

I shaved with my first DE, the EJ DE89 for about 4 years exclusively starting out in my mid thirties and have had it for over 10 years now. If I didn’t fall down the rabbit hole when venturing into vintage, I probably would have bought another EJ when my threads started going out or would have gotten a Müle cap with brass threads to replace that part. My EJ is also my wedding day razor and I always got easy 3 pass BBS shaves with the EJ as I do with these Gillette Mühle rebrands.

I think Gillette did the right thing going with this design in their new DE flirtation as it is a very capable razor for new and experienced DE shavers. I think it is safe to say they are now convinced it will sell and could reliably replace their disposable line.

Carts aren’t going anywhere, but bad press with the plastic disposables in landfills make this an easy alternative since they still produce DE blades. As I have mentioned previously, they also don’t have to admit DE is better than carts and only have to say it is a much more environmentally friendly alternative to the disposables. They have never said their disposables are better than carts so they save face and keep the cart machine going.

Both their DE razors are selling out in waves so you will see either at an original or one of their old designs revamped become available pretty soon, in the least 2021. Maybe one that looks like an old fat handled Tech that a lot people people seem to like, who knows? :)

You can eyeball a difference of less than 2/1000 of an inch (exposure in a mild razor typically being less than ;005")?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

It is noticeable to the naked eye.

They could build these out of solid titanium and sell them for $5.00 apiece and they wouldn't get my business. It is interesting to see them trying to get back into the game they created though.

Top Bottom