What's new

Keeping Track of Blade Use

I don't worry about that, I use a blade till uncomfortable then into the bin it goes. The ones I use I get a week or a bit more usually a day or two. I tried Treet blades and I consistently only get two decent shaves, I'll send them to my son maybe he'll have better luck.

I use my postings on B&B to track the usage.....when in doubt, pull of the site and search for my posts. :biggrin:

My blade gets replaced, only when it starts not shaving close enough, or becomes rough, otherwise, I don't worry about the actual count. Other than the Feather FHS blades, the SE blades seem to remain smooth longer than DE blades. (I have enough of both, that I could have for years, without buying another blade, even passing them to my brothers, and keeping my wife's razor loaded with a sharp blade).

Just a text file in Standard Notes
Code:
DE safety razors :
- Fatip Grande Gentile : Derby Premium  2x
- Fatip Grande OC :   Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow St. Petersburg) :  7x
- Baili BD191 : Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus   11x

Shavette razors :
- The Bluebeards Revenge  Cut-Throat Razor : Derby Premium SE  6x
- Parker SRX :  Derby Premium SE   9x
- The Goodfellas Smile Shibumi : Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus :   4x
- Sanguine RZ-MarbleBlack  :  Derby Extra (half DE)   7x
- KureNai GF33S  (Feather AC clone) : Dorco Barber Blades BB20  2x
- DRGSKL 7108 (Full DE) : Wilkinson Sword   6x

- Wilkinson Sword Classic : --
- Ying Jili :  --

I have sensors set up on my shave rack and a raspberry pi connected. If a razor is removed for more that one minute, the computer updates the SQL database as having another shave on that blade. There is also a button I can press when I decide to change blades. Using the sensors and the button, the computer uses an algorithm to find the median number of shaves on that razor per blade and sends me a text when it's coming due.

Actually I just take the blade out if the shave is getting scratchy, which forces me to put another one in before I can use it again. I can't believe how detailed some of you guys get with this stuff.

I have sensors set up on my shave rack and a raspberry pi connected. If a razor is removed for more that one minute, the computer updates the SQL database as having another shave on that blade. There is also a button I can press when I decide to change blades. Using the sensors and the button, the computer uses an algorithm to find the median number of shaves on that razor per blade and sends me a text when it's coming due.

Actually I just take the blade out if the shave is getting scratchy, which forces me to put another one in before I can use it again. I can't believe how detailed some of you guys get with this stuff.
After 62 years of wet shaving, I can feel when it is time to chuck a blade.

I use my postings on B&B to track the usage.....when in doubt, pull of the site and search for my posts. :biggrin:

My blade gets replaced, only when it starts not shaving close enough, or becomes rough, otherwise, I don't worry about the actual count. Other than the Feather FHS blades, the SE blades seem to remain smooth longer than DE blades. (I have enough of both, that I could have for years, without buying another blade, even passing them to my brothers, and keeping my wife's razor loaded with a sharp blade).

Back when I was tracking my shaves per blade, this is what I was doing. I was tracking to determine one part of which DE blades to buy. Once I discovered that I preferred GEM style razors, I no longer tracked my blade's use. I just change when the shaves aren't up to my standards.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Back when I was tracking my shaves per blade, this is what I was doing. I was tracking to determine one part of which DE blades to buy. Once I discovered that I preferred GEM style razors, I no longer tracked my blade's use. I just change when the shaves aren't up to my standards.
Good to hear from you Clay, makes perfect sense to me what you mentioned. I have not totally traveled that path because I like variety and I use 4 razor systems DE,Gem,Schick and Oneblade FHS-10 blade(I use a modified Gem).
Gem Personna makes a great blade and it quite basic system Gem SS PTFE or GEM carbon blades, its that simple.
If you get along with the Gem blade you are set IMO.

The best method I've found is to mount a good adding machine in your lavatory. I'm partial to Burroughs, but use what you like. Ensure you've a fresh roll of tape.
After every shave, add one (1) and pull the crank. After the last good shave, pull the crank, then print your total. Don't forget to re-set to zero. Tear off your tape, write the blade model information at the top, date it, then tape it to your lavatory wall.
Thus, you will build valuable and permanent cross-reference data on the different brands of blades you have used. At a glance you can tell: longer tapes denote greater blade longevity. You can fit literally hundreds of tapes on your lavatory walls!
No more fumbling with the abacus or dice. I know. I employed this method quite successfully...at least until the divorce came through!
Burroughs.jpg
Burroughs1.jpg

The best method I've found is to mount a good adding machine in your lavatory. I'm partial to Burroughs, but use what you like. Ensure you've a fresh roll of tape.
After every shave, add one (1) and pull the crank. After the last good shave, pull the crank, then print your total. Don't forget to re-set to zero. Tear off your tape, write the blade model information at the top, date it, then tape it to your lavatory wall.
Thus, you will build valuable and permanent cross-reference data on the different brands of blades you have used. At a glance you can tell: longer tapes denote greater blade longevity. You can fit literally hundreds of tapes on your lavatory walls!
No more fumbling with the abacus or dice. I know. I employed this method quite successfully...at least until the divorce came through!
View attachment 1120017View attachment 1120018

Had to sell the house. She kept the Burroughs?

I kid .. I kid.

At any given time I keep 5 or even 6 razors loaded with a blade -- DE, SE -- new, vintage etc. So what I am doing lately is I will load 5 or 6 razors on the first of the month and use them in a loose rotation, or just as I please. At the end of the month I reload them again. If a blade is obviously worn, i just remove that one from the rotation. Or load a new blade. Blades are so inexpensive I dont worry too much either way.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

LOL I thought you were serious.

Then I read this. Or were you serious and the second paragraph is irony?

Some people have criticized my pic when I posted it before, but hey it's my bathroom so I will do what I please! This allows me to quickly choose between several different blades with varying grades of sharpness. Blades only get better with use until they hit five or six shaves.
DE Blades.jpg

Some people have criticized my pic when I posted it before, but hey it's my bathroom so I will do what I please! This allows me to quickly choose between several different blades with varying grades of sharpness. Blades only get better with use until they hit five or six shaves.View attachment 1125347
Interesting method. I lose track of uses very often and if I have a mediocre shave: I toss all blades and start from 0. Otherwise just put a dot in the wrap, but things get mixed if I have too many out......
Then I have 2 bottles: one is the ones that need to go and the other: I may pick one out if I ever need it (have done so a few times will use it in a shavette one more time.....)

Good to hear from you Clay, makes perfect sense to me what you mentioned. I have not totally traveled that path because I like variety and I use 4 razor systems DE,Gem,Schick and Oneblade FHS-10 blade(I use a modified Gem).
Gem Personna makes a great blade and it quite basic system Gem SS PTFE or GEM carbon blades, its that simple.
If you get along with the Gem blade you are set IMO.

Thanks. I do occasionally use a DE and a Schick as well. I get descent results with most major brands of DE blades, getting at least a weeks worth of shaves and sometimes several weeks. I just find it easier to use until results are sub-par rather than trying to keep up with how many shaves on a blade

I kinda sorta keep track, but not really, if that makes sense. I load up a razor and use it until the blade/cartridge is done, then I switch to a different razor/blade/cartridge. I really only notice if 1) a blade goes longer than a week or so; or 2) a blade only lasts a single shave or just a couple of shaves.

Top Bottom