What's new

ASD2 - what am I doing wrong?

Astra SPs work for me. Occasionally tempted by Derby Extras, but I wait out the urge. Very cool that you learned the AS-D2’s riddle. Hoping ChunkyOwl gets his to reveal it’s awesomeness as well.

Tech I nabbed was definitely less than a tank of gas. The Feather AS-D2 is likely be smoother, but mine will be haunted.

Exactly! Before you know you will be summoning lesser demons from the Astra(l) S(uperluminal) P(lane)! .. It twas as if my whiskers disappeared into the night in a most ephemeral, ghostly way ! o_O

It usually the hunter and not the arrow, but as other have said this razor is limited. The shave angle window is small on this razor to get an effective shave. Their are better options.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Here’s hoping your upcoming Charcoal Goods, Tatara, or Timeless (or Blackland Dart or Rex Envoy) exceed the expectations you had for the AS-D2.

I am still struggling with it. I can’t get a smooth shave and despite the mild nature of the razor I end up with lots of irritation. This is because I keep having to do more strokes to cut any stubble. This seems to be the case regardless of blade. Shaving with a Kai and riding the cap has given me the best results, but those are far inferior to a moderate aggression razor. By comparison, I just bought a Merkur 34C from another member here and can get a BBS shave with no irritation or issues. Same story with a Gillette Aristocrat - wonderful shaves. I think this one may not be for me. I think I lack the focus, technique and/or skin/beard type to make this razor work.

Once I reach the 45 day membership tenure eligibility to post it on the B/S/T I think I will probably do so. Much more interested to trade it (plus cash if needed) for a Tatara, Timeless or Charcoal Goods moderate aggressive razor. Those seem more suitable for me based on my experience thus far. I do sincerely appreciate all the advice here though! It has been very valuable and I continue to learn.
+1 on the no shame in unloading a razor that just didn’t work for you. However, if you’re able, you might consider putting the AS-D2 back in its box and hiding it away in the closet for a year or so. You might just find in that time your technique and skill improves during that time and you’re able to get good results later. For me, I found my skills improved significantly when, after 2 years of DE shaving, I started branching out and trying other razors. However, I’ve never actually used a Feather, and after what you’ve been through, I don’t think I’d want to use it again!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
+1 on the no shame in unloading a razor that just didn’t work for you. However, if you’re able, you might consider putting the AS-D2 back in its box and hiding it away in the closet for a year or so. You might just find in that time your technique and skill improves during that time and you’re able to get good results later. For me, I found my skills improved significantly when, after 2 years of DE shaving, I started branching out and trying other razors. However, I’ve never actually used a Feather, and after what you’ve been through, I don’t think I’d want to use it again!
Very wise suggestion.

ASD2
medium efficient machine .. in my opinion you can not shave it very well ..
although everyone has individual expectations

Yeah the shave with the Astra isn’t any better. I will look to trade this razor shortly.

Out of curiosity what happens if you use just a tad bit of pressure ? That is my sweet spot with this razor. It basically is just like a cartridge so with hard to shave areas (under my jawline / Adams apple etc) I can contour around my face w/out accidentally stabbing myself.

Perhaps to put another way shallow + adjust pressure until you get what you are looking for? Its super hard to cut yourself except with feathers and kais but its pretty obvious what the right pressure is after a few tries.

Regards
Avi

Out of curiosity what happens if you use just a tad bit of pressure ? That is my sweet spot with this razor. It basically is just like a cartridge so with hard to shave areas (under my jawline / Adams apple etc) I can contour around my face w/out accidentally stabbing myself.

Perhaps to put another way shallow + adjust pressure until you get what you are looking for? Its super hard to cut yourself except with feathers and kais but its pretty obvious what the right pressure is after a few tries.

Regards
Avi
This is an interesting suggestion. I'd consider trying it tomorrow morning

Hannah's Dad

Regards
Avi
Nailed it! My best shaves with the AS-D2 were with a very sharp blade, really good technique (shallow angle) and some pressure. It’s such a mild shaver that a little pressure is nothing to fear.

I will try tomorrow morning with some pressure and report back. It seems to do ok on the face but really badly on the neck and chin. Maybe the pressure is the issue...

Reactions: Avi
Could @Avi and @Hannah's Dad please clarify a question on the pressure?

Is the added pressure all going towards the cap, the comb, both, or somewhere else?

I am not that clever :) I would not over think this since the angle is taking care of this.. actually my guess is since we are shallow and pushing in, we are effectively pushing the cap just a tad.. . Its just the same pressure we need when we are dealing with a non flat face and need to contour around the face.. All those things that are really bad to do w/ your r41 are magically okay with the milder razor!

Avi

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thanks, Avi!

Trying that with my current mild boi (Yaqi Mellon) and can’t get safe ATG shaves yet.

Found my newly-acquired Tech (Time traveling PG&E fiends have copied the general shape of the Feather AS-D2 and spent decades making variants of differing behaviors 😉) is kind of a brute. Was looking for AS-D2-lite and got Fatip Testina Gentilé reimagined.

I shaved again this morning and applied some moderate pressure while riding the cap using a new Kai blade. The pressure made a MASSIVE difference! I got a very smooth shave with very little irritation. This seems counterintuitive to me as somehow I have less irritation despite pressing hard...I guess it helps tighten my skin against the bar somehow? Anyways thanks again this has made a big difference. I will continue to work at it with this one because results this morning were outstanding!

Hannah's Dad

I shaved again this morning and applied some moderate pressure while riding the cap using a new Kai blade. The pressure made a MASSIVE difference! I got a very smooth shave with very little irritation. This seems counterintuitive to me as somehow I have less irritation despite pressing hard...I guess it helps tighten my skin against the bar somehow? Anyways thanks again this has made a big difference. I will continue to work at it with this one because results this morning were outstanding!
Awesome! Love it when epiphany strikes! Congrats.

May I suggest a Feather blade, though? The Kai is wider and more likely to bite with too much pressure. The AS-D2 was made for the Feather blade.

Super cool.. its funny the reason I brought this up is I remember having the same razor burn when I was first using this because I was trying to "buff" (that weird youtube term) my chin etc and it just was not fun, so it felt I was either not shaving (chin stubble) and/or getting razor burn, which felt rather disappointing given the adulation this razor got.

I have not examined many mens faces so do not know if this is normal but my issue is under the chin /jawbone to say the Adams apple things my face is slightly concave (taut skin?) and further my Adams apple is like apple sized (okay slight hyperbole). As such these zero pressure concepts just miss parts of my face unless your attack is only in one direction (which then ignores the grain). Thats the real reason I just ended up walking back the "no pressure idea" and just went with the "muddle my way through this" (helped with a mild razor where one can get away this).

What is also a bit random is I thought I'd go your route (as there clearly is truth to your point with regards to less super mild razors) and revisited the r89 this morning and I actually get your point as well, the r89 is even more lazy and easy because you don't need to be as careful about weird angles and you basically can use the same pressure trick w/out slicing yourself up. Who needs poshO razors ? :)

Regards
Avi

Top Bottom