What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just finished getting out of the Lazyarseboy and shaved with that shedding Petri dish. It was I think shave number 5 on that Elios blade. Best shave with it yet. Close, comfortable. Zero irritation. The soap was the "crumbles" from the 3 samples @Chandu sent me, purdy much equal amounts of vintage Colgate, vintage Williams, and some foreign thing that I think he said was translated "gilded or golden hand"?

Whatever it's called, those 3 soaps in combination with whatever has been growing in my brush and bowl since early July made for some GREAT cushioning. Wow. I used that 100 year old patented Gillette long comb @Tanuki gave me and it mowed down my corona locked down goatee that I'd been to lazy and introspective to shave.

Had so much fun I may shave again tomorrow, especially if the War Department likes my aftershave choice tonight!

Some Dutch thing, “the gilded hand”. Supposedly the oldest soap works on the planet - you can look it up. @Flying Dutchman knows all about it.

And, hey, I gave a shout out to just leaving the brush in the mug in the Williams/WISE thread. But now my overbred, big-city, snooty nosed, brush snob aesthetics (nice word, huh) won’t let me leave even my cheapest brush sitting in the mug. Mojo = LOST.

FarmerTan

Some Dutch thing, “the gilded hand”. Supposedly the oldest soap works on the planet - you can look it up. @Flying Dutchman knows all about it.

And, hey, I gave a shout out to just leaving the brush in the mug in the Williams/WISE thread. But now my overbred, big-city, snooty nosed, brush snob aesthetics (nice word, huh) won’t let me leave even my cheapest brush sitting in the mug. Mojo = LOST.
Peer pressure is real, my friend!

I want you to know, that razor ain't quite possibly my ugliest razor, but it is REALLY close to it!

But EVERY SINGLE TIME I use it I wonder why I don't just give all my other razors away? Seriously, it is my best shaving one by far. Almost could shave blindfolded with it. So thanks again. I ought to go to that tutorial on here about fixing handles while I'm locked in the house. Keep out from under my lovely War Department's all seeing eye.

Like every good General, she hates to see her underlings being idle...

And yes, it is the gilded hand. My memory is shot now except for old times. He told me about it and I Googled it and then forgot it, lol.

On a related note, I mentioned the other day to my son that I wanted to write an autobiography, MOSTLY a true one, and he made me do a podcast last summer. He wants me to do it differently tho. He said he wants me to just jot down some chapter titles and he will interview me. Seems all his friends, and I quote "have always thought that you were the sweet old man of the Dad's" or something like that. He swears that they would all love to hear it. Lol, seems his generation is non readers!

Who am I to deny my publik?

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Well, I'm back.

You know you are old (or in poor health) when you can't decide if you are going to give yourself a pandemic haircut or shave your ugly mug because you know that you only have enough gumption for one, and not both.

Think the haircut gets done tonight, and back to @Grundi 's blade challenge tomorrow!

FarmerTan

Old, poor health, or just losing it in general. My covid buzz cut has had a couple weeks and is no longer causing even socially distanced babies to start crying. Enjoy yours. :punk:
I tried something new tonight: I didn't cut the top at all, but faded it from nearly nothing to about 3/4 inch at the crown. Imagine a cross between a pompadour and a crew cut, if you can.

I won't know until tomorrow if I succeeded in my own eyes. Now, the War Department is the real judge. Since our Guvna has decided to extend my sentence to home confinement until June 12th (I think that is the date) it should not bother my lovely best friend how bad I look, since she won't be able to take me out for display until it grows enough to be able to be fixed.

After a couple of days it will look as though it was never cut. The fresh cut look fades quickly, or so you hope. It’s Saturday, so I think I will cut my hair too. Actually, I’ll be cutting it out of boredom.

FarmerTan

After a couple of days it will look as though it was never cut. The fresh cut look fades quickly, or so you hope. It’s Saturday, so I think I will cut my hair too. Actually, I’ll be cutting it out of boredom.
Lol, I wish I could cut out boredom!

Good luck my friend! As my dad always said: the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is......

About 3 days!

FarmerTan

Old, poor health, or just losing it in general. My covid buzz cut has had a couple weeks and is no longer causing even socially distanced babies to start crying. Enjoy yours. :punk:
Well.... It ain't any better in the light of day!

I look like Jethro Gibbs tried to cut my hair just like his, but he had the next day off so he drank too much whiskey!

Never trust a Marine on leave to make good judgement calls!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
That's still much better than if Jethro Bodine did it for you!
1590243323334.png

Well, I'm back.

You know you are old (or in poor health) when you can't decide if you are going to give yourself a pandemic haircut or shave your ugly mug because you know that you only have enough gumption for one, and not both.

Think the haircut gets done tonight, and back to @Grundi 's blade challenge tomorrow!

I've been sticking to the shave. I think I'm going to have to place my Clooney avatar on hiatus for a while because I no longer look like that. My new avatar is much closer to my current shaggy look.

FarmerTan

I've been sticking to the shave. I think I'm going to have to place my Clooney avatar on hiatus for a while because I no longer look like that. My new avatar is much closer to my current shaggy look.
Much closer to what I looked like before Friday night! I did notice today that I missed a spot on the left side of my head. Easy fix, but my natural part is the left, and for twenty years I've worn a mop headed crew cut swept from the right! So now with my decision to grow out the top and part on the right I see that I must let it grow more on top. Which is what is driving me nuts! The idea of carrying a comb again kills me. I figure by the end of summer I should have it long enough, and my wife is handy (she shaved my neck, as per normal, yesterday in the shower) at most anything, so I think she can learn to cut it in the long run. It's much easier to cut it myself, but with my birth defect in my neck and shoulder it is getting harder to do anything above my head, and my brain bleeds are really getting to my ability to verbally communicate with people. So she has to wait for me to get the words out right when I explain how to cut my hair.

I am so blessed to have her. I tell her all the time that when she decides to kill me it'll be ruled justifiable homicide, lol!

Lol, what a rambling post! Sorry my friend!

FarmerTan

You folks have been spared from my ramblings long enough! What a day. So I rewarded myself with a really nice shave. I used my shedding, experimental non-rinsed brush, along with some of the Shaving Cream that @Space_Cadet gave me, and got a truly wonderful BBS shave with three passes with the head of the NEW LC that @Tanuki gave me, connected to the "truly worthless" (lol) fat handle that
@L.A. Jones gave me. A "Frankenrazor" in name only, as Gillette would have have been mad if they NEVER produced one!

Now for the biggest danger in the shave: I used a Gillette Silver Blue blade for it's 48th shave, and it performed wonderfully. No post irritation AT ALL! And no nicks during. Post shave I showered, as is my norm, and applied some vintage Avon Bay Rum. According to @TheVez2 , it is the best. I used some stuff that was gifted me by I believe @Chandu, he's just nice enough to do such a thing. I'll try to find out for sure who it was, I don't want him to be thought more highly than he deserves, of course!

You'll have to go to my post about my quest for a live trap and me and the War Department's exploits this evening. I came off looking like a real gunslinger!

Edit: though Chandu is a gifter to me, alas, my friend @It's Hedley sent me the Bay Rum!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

See, caught you keeping records ;)

Yup, I've just sent soap. I wanted your brush to know something besides Arko before it passed on.
I will then have to give that "gilded hand" a go next, rubbed on my incredibly handsome face and then face lathered with the beautiful brush that was made by Steve, @Graydog !

But I will post about it here, I think, even though I will keep rinsing THAT brush. It is gorgeous.

I definitely need an @FarmerTan ”gilded hand” review. I”ve been daydreaming about that soap ever since @Flying Dutchman told of its origin myth.

I’m still not sure how you ended up with all that utterly useless junk from that @L.A. Jones city slicker. Taking advantage of the rural hayseed. Outrageous. Stick with that valuable vintage ball end I sent. The cracks are proof of its authenticity!

Top Bottom