What's new

Blackland Vector vs Sabre (looking for info on Sabre before buying)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Lol that’s the the cruelest thing I’ve ever heard of. Who orders a gift 3 weeks early?! Btw, your 30-day return clock can start ticking when you open it.

She always likes to make sure my presents get here on time. ;)

Thank you for your consideration, Shane. I can't imagine having to return it.

Now to see if I can celebrate Father's Day early. ;)

Short answer:

I’ve tried almost everything.

The L2 Sabre shaves better Than the vector for me. In fact, it shaves better than pretty much anything. It’s incredible. Don’t be convinced you have to keep the cap on your face. I go kind of steep.

Thanks. Though the Sabre and Vector are both SE's, the Sabre shave angle is more like a DE right?

Short answer:

I’ve tried almost everything.

The L2 Sabre shaves better Than the vector for me. In fact, it shaves better than pretty much anything. It’s incredible. Don’t be convinced you have to keep the cap on your face. I go kind of steep.

Really pleased to hear that. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I now have loads of GEM blades but no razor to put them in. I was torn between the Vector and Sabre but it sounds like I made the right choice.

Quick impressions. Only about 20 minutes or so done shaving for the 1st time with the Sabre. I used the PFTE GEM blade that the razor came with.

It was the smoothest shave I remember having in a long while. The razor was so quiet and efficient that sometimes I had to touch my face to make sure that the whiskers were indeed getting chopped off. I generally start my razors with a WTG and 2 x XTG pass. Today, 3 passes in and not a single weeper accompanied by the smoothness made me brave (or stupid) enough to go with ATG pass. Still no weeper/nick. No need to use an alum block after the shave. Just did a cold water rinse and then the aftershave splash.

After using SE's (AC) for the last few months I was a little uncertain about the angle. I just went with what felt right. Not quite riding the top but close to it. Another thing to add is that I just started with the L1 plate. Could be why I was also able to get 4 passes in without much of a hassle. I may try the L2 some time but for now may just focus on getting my shaving technique better.

After using SE's (AC) for the last few months I was a little uncertain about the angle. I just went with what felt right. Not quite riding the top but close to it. Another thing to add is that I just started with the L1 plate. Could be why I was also able to get 4 passes in without much of a hassle. I may try the L2 some time but for now may just focus on getting my shaving technique better.

I think this is the right approach. We tend to get really obsessed with angles and techniques, but the best way is to stop thinking about it and just use the razor to find what works for you. Fretting about whether you should be at 30 degrees or 35 is no way to get better at shaving. It's all feel and practice.

I'm glad your maiden voyage was success! I think you'll find the L2 to be a fairly similar experience with a small hint of blade feel and probably fewer passes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Quick impressions. Only about 20 minutes or so done shaving for the 1st time with the Sabre. I used the PFTE GEM blade that the razor came with.

It was the smoothest shave I remember having in a long while. The razor was so quiet and efficient that sometimes I had to touch my face to make sure that the whiskers were indeed getting chopped off. I generally start my razors with a WTG and 2 x XTG pass. Today, 3 passes in and not a single weeper accompanied by the smoothness made me brave (or stupid) enough to go with ATG pass. Still no weeper/nick. No need to use an alum block after the shave. Just did a cold water rinse and then the aftershave splash.

My old, gray, wiry beard grows in multiple chaotic directions. I started with the L2 and can get a 4-Pass DFS++ with no irritation.

In my opinion, the Blackland Sabre L2 is a world class razor that provides consistently superb results.

My old, gray, wiry beard grows in multiple chaotic directions. I started with the L2 and can get a 4-Pass DFS++ with no irritation.

In my opinion, the Blackland Sabre L2 is a world class razor that provides consistently superb results.

I am 40 and getting more and more white/gray hairs in my beard. Started when I turned around 30 and just keep on coming .. :). They seem coarser than the black hairs and tougher to cut. My beard also grown in different direction. N -> S on my face. E/W -> W/E around my jowels. Neck is all over the place and is like a swirling whirlpool.

The two biggest things this forum has done for me is taught me:

1. To be patient and learn what direction my hair grows in. Once I understood that the shaves became better automatically.
2. Importance of lather.

Guys, my Sabre has just arrived!

IMG_0071.jpg

Looks fantastic. I love the fact that is so compact, barely any larger than my Tatara razor.

Guys, my Sabre has just arrived!

View attachment 1109843

Looks fantastic. I love the fact that is so compact, barely any larger than my Tatara razor.
You will love it.

It was my 2nd shave with it today and I dont think I have been this close to a BBS .. ever. I think it is a combination of the smoothness and also using the L1 plate. It is allowing be to be very aggressive with the razor and going ATG as well which I normally try to stay away from. I had 1 small weeper today but there was no irritation after the shave.

The Vector still seems more 'natural' to use and does a great job but the Sabre seems smoother to me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am 40 and getting more and more white/gray hairs in my beard. Started when I turned around 30 and just keep on coming .. :). They seem coarser than the black hairs and tougher to cut. My beard also grown in different direction. N -> S on my face. E/W -> W/E around my jowels. Neck is all over the place and is like a swirling whirlpool.

The two biggest things this forum has done for me is taught me:

1. To be patient and learn what direction my hair grows in. Once I understood that the shaves became better automatically.
2. Importance of lather.

I feel your pain. ;)

With the myriad of directions my wires grow, I ended up going to one WTG pass + two XTG passes: one at 45 degrees South of WTG and the second XTG approximately 45 degrees North of ATG + one ATG (using 'J-Hooks' on my neck during the ATG pass to get some of the 'swirls').

Still have to touch-up around my chin, jawline and mouth.

Forces me to use zero to very little pressure so I don't irritate the crap out of my face.

This is why I gave up chasing BBS - I'd have to do a lot more skin stretching, buffing and touch-up. It's not worth the irritation and blood.

The joys of getting old. ;)

Last edited:
I've now had my Sabre for nearly a week. I love the smoothness (even with the L2 plate) but don't think I've quite nailed the optimal angle for cutting. Switching between both plates likely didn't help. The shaves are not as close as I was hoping for. Will stuck to the ultra smooth L1 next week. I really like the thicker GEM blades compared to my flimsy DE blades but need to work on my technique I think.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I really like the thicker GEM blades compared to my flimsy DE blades but need to work on my technique I think.

This is why I always set a difficult razor aside for a while, then return to it after some reflection and work on technique.

The usual problem, for me at least, is technique. The attraction of wet shaving is I get to work on techniques for a number of different razors.

*Nnnnngggghhh*...I'm twisting my own arm to convince myself to try the Sabre. If I don't do it soon I'm probably gonna tear that sucker off and beat myself to death with it. [grin]

O.H.

The Sabre has just blown me away with its smoothness. Had a DFS today with L2 (3rds shave with Sabre, 1st with L2). No irritation, weepers or nicks.

The only area I struggle with the Sabre is the area between my upper lip and nose. With the shallow angle that I employ, it is harder than any other part of my face.

Top Bottom