What's new

Struggling with OC plates

I am not sure why but between all the razors I have bought in the last 3 months or so, the only one I really struggle with is the ATT SE2. I have bought:

ATT SE1/SE2
Blackland Vector
Blackland Sabre L1/L2
Rockwell 6S

I do realize that the ATT SE2 is the only open comb one in this list above but almost every time I shave with it I end up getting way more weepers/nicks than any of the others. The ATT SE1 is no issue for me at all but just the SE2.

And honestly speaking, I have no real reason to really shave with the SE2 but was curious if this is something other people may have faced to where they do a lot better with SB's and OC's?

Thanks.

I used my SE2 this morning. I haven't used an SE1, but I have the Vector, Sabre L2 and Rockwell (but gave the latter to my older son recently). The SE2 and Colonial General v1 are my two favorite single-edge blade razors. Most of my razors are open comb, but haven't noticed much difference in general between OCs and SBs. For example, I've got the Charcoal Goods Level 3 in both OC and SB, and I can't tell them apart. I'm not sure why the SE2 would be a challenge. Maybe others can help!

P.S. What blade are you using in the SE2? If you're using a Feather Pro Super, that could be the source of the problem. If you're using a Feather Pro, Proline or guard-less Kai, try using a Feather or Kai with guards.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Heh. I have my "issues" with the SE2 also.

I've got a slightly different stable consist than you do:

RazoRock Hawk V3SB/V3OC
ATT SE1/SE2 (SE1 Windsor, SE2 regular)

I started with a "regular" SE1/SE2 combo because I wanted to play in AC-space and see what that was like. After some shaves with the SE1 I decided to pick up another Kronos handle and an SE top cap, to make two complete razors. I was using Feather Pro blades, which were and are OK but I was having what I later diagnosed as technique problems. I got a few nicks and started getting a little tense just thinking about using the SE1.

Since every AC blade (and Gem blade for that matter) that comes to my little corner of Canada comes in the mail, I ordered a packet of the Prolines. I was thinking that just like DEs and slants, going to a sharper blade sometimes fixes the problems I can make for myself.

While waiting for those to arrive from Japan I slipped a Feather Pro into the SE2 and gave that a whirl. While that took the shave experience with the SE1 to a whole new level, the level I reached was kinda traumatic. [grin] I can laugh about it now, but it had to be the least pleasant shave I've ever had.

The Prolines eventually arrived and I tried one in the SE1. Decided it was a blade too far for me, went back to Feather Pro. In the end I decided I was having more uncertainty and anxiety over it all than it was worth to me, so I decided to go back to Gem-ish and slants. I offered up the pair, SE1 and SE2, as a straight-up trade for an S1 and S2.

I got an offer to trade an S2 for the SE1, and almost didn't take it because it would leave me stuck with the SE2. But I did eventually go for it. As I have said here and also to Matt at ATT, the S2 is my Grail Razor. Sometimes the Universe has to hit me over the head a few times to get my attention. :a13:

I tried steep-angle shaving with the SE2, which works but I can kill a blade right quick doing that. Plus, well...sharp blade, open comb, somewhat aggressive design; felt like I used a paint scraper. I put the SE2 in my filing cabinet, feeling like it was kind of the unwanted stepchild. I've pulled it out for OCtober, and at other times just to see if it's improved its attitude any. Sadly, no.

Earlier this year I took a moderately systematic tour through a few slant razors. Doing that got me to thinking I was being a little sissy letting myself get scared off of AC razors. I decided to grab a selection of blades and try them out. Problem was, I no longer had an SE1 and did NOT want to start such a trial with the SE2. About that time a member here offered up a Windsor SE1 that wasn't quite to his taste. Grabbed that sucker like a starving man will grab a stack of sourdough pancakes with syrup, sausage, and a fried egg on top. (Crud. Now I've got the munchies...)

*burp*...30 minutes later...

While I was getting ready for all that (razors, not pancakes y'all) RazoRock came out with the V3 Hawk and I snapped up a couple of those, which arrived before all the blades did.

Still with me? Golly, I get windy.

So I've started that journey all over again. I'm currently using the second trial blade (Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink) in the Hawk V3 SB and loving it. Having gotten a blade that works better for me in this razor, I'm seeing more clearly where my technique needs attention. Once I'm feeling better about that I'll move over to the SE1 and see what the differences are with the Hawk SB -- and then it's on to the Hawk OC and then get tooled up to take on the SE2 again.

Seems like when I get bucked off anything I take a little time to have a good case of the collywobbles followed by a nice stack of flapjacks. Then I'm ready to get back on and ride it like I owned it.

Wishing you similar good luck...

O.H.

I used my SE2 this morning. I haven't used an SE1, but I have the Vector, Sabre L2 and Rockwell (but gave the latter to my older son recently). The SE2 and Colonial General v1 are my two favorite single-edge blade razors. Most of my razors are open comb, but haven't noticed much difference in general between OCs and SBs. For example, I've got the Charcoal Goods Level 3 in both OC and SB, and I can't tell them apart. I'm not sure why the SE2 would be a challenge. Maybe others can help!

P.S. What blade are you using in the SE2? If you're using a Feather Pro Super, that could be the source of the problem. If you're using a Feather Pro, Proline or guard-less Kai, try using a Feather or Kai with guards.
I am using the Feather Pro Super. Had slightly less disastrous results with the Schick Proline and the Kai Titan Mild but still not as smooth as the other razors.

Heh. I have my "issues" with the SE2 also.

I've got a slightly different stable consist than you do:

RazoRock Hawk V3SB/V3OC
ATT SE1/SE2 (SE1 Windsor, SE2 regular)

I started with a "regular" SE1/SE2 combo because I wanted to play in AC-space and see what that was like. After some shaves with the SE1 I decided to pick up another Kronos handle and an SE top cap, to make two complete razors. I was using Feather Pro blades, which were and are OK but I was having what I later diagnosed as technique problems. I got a few nicks and started getting a little tense just thinking about using the SE1.

Since every AC blade (and Gem blade for that matter) that comes to my little corner of Canada comes in the mail, I ordered a packet of the Prolines. I was thinking that just like DEs and slants, going to a sharper blade sometimes fixes the problems I can make for myself.

While waiting for those to arrive from Japan I slipped a Feather Pro into the SE2 and gave that a whirl. While that took the shave experience with the SE1 to a whole new level, the level I reached was kinda traumatic. [grin] I can laugh about it now, but it had to be the least pleasant shave I've ever had.

The Prolines eventually arrived and I tried one in the SE1. Decided it was a blade too far for me, went back to Feather Pro. In the end I decided I was having more uncertainty and anxiety over it all than it was worth to me, so I decided to go back to Gem-ish and slants. I offered up the pair, SE1 and SE2, as a straight-up trade for an S1 and S2.

I got an offer to trade an S2 for the SE1, and almost didn't take it because it would leave me stuck with the SE2. But I did eventually go for it. As I have said here and also to Matt at ATT, the S2 is my Grail Razor. Sometimes the Universe has to hit me over the head a few times to get my attention. :a13:

I tried steep-angle shaving with the SE2, which works but I can kill a blade right quick doing that. Plus, well...sharp blade, open comb, somewhat aggressive design; felt like I used a paint scraper. I put the SE2 in my filing cabinet, feeling like it was kind of the unwanted stepchild. I've pulled it out for OCtober, and at other times just to see if it's improved its attitude any. Sadly, no.

Earlier this year I took a moderately systematic tour through a few slant razors. Doing that got me to thinking I was being a little sissy letting myself get scared off of AC razors. I decided to grab a selection of blades and try them out. Problem was, I no longer had an SE1 and did NOT want to start such a trial with the SE2. About that time a member here offered up a Windsor SE1 that wasn't quite to his taste. Grabbed that sucker like a starving man will grab a stack of sourdough pancakes with syrup, sausage, and a fried egg on top. (Crud. Now I've got the munchies...)

*burp*...30 minutes later...

While I was getting ready for all that (razors, not pancakes y'all) RazoRock came out with the V3 Hawk and I snapped up a couple of those, which arrived before all the blades did.

Still with me? Golly, I get windy.

So I've started that journey all over again. I'm currently using the second trial blade (Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink) in the Hawk V3 SB and loving it. Having gotten a blade that works better for me in this razor, I'm seeing more clearly where my technique needs attention. Once I'm feeling better about that I'll move over to the SE1 and see what the differences are with the Hawk SB -- and then it's on to the Hawk OC and then get tooled up to take on the SE2 again.

Seems like when I get bucked off anything I take a little time to have a good case of the collywobbles followed by a nice stack of flapjacks. Then I'm ready to get back on and ride it like I owned it.

Wishing you similar good luck...

O.H.
Sounds like I should try sticking to my Schick Prolines or Kai's for now. That sounds like good advice. Thanks.

I am using the Feather Pro Super. Had slightly less disastrous results with the Schick Proline and the Kai Titan Mild but still not as smooth as the other razors.

Seriously, the AC blades with guards are much, much more friendly than Feather Pro Supers. Pro Supers have a form factor that’s different from the others—the distance from the blade edge to the back of the blade is longer than all the others, making the blade exposure longer than all the others. When this pandemic is over, I’m happy to meet you halfway from Seattle to give you some guarded blades...

Seriously, the AC blades with guards are much, much more friendly than Feather Pro Supers. Pro Supers have a form factor that’s different from the others—the distance from the blade edge to the back of the blade is longer than all the others, making the blade exposure longer than all the others. When this pandemic is over, I’m happy to meet you halfway from Seattle to give you some guarded blades...

Thanks!

So I actually have a pack of the 15 Feather Proguards that I bought. It is still unopened. If you feel that it will be a good one to try with the ATT SE2, I will definitely go ahead and give that a try.

I have seriously not had any issues with the SE1 or Vector. Maybe 1-2 weepers per shave. Today I probably have a good 5-6 weepers and a couple of nicks to boot. Don't remember having such a bad shave in a long long while.

Thanks!

So I actually have a pack of the 15 Feather Proguards that I bought. It is still unopened. If you feel that it will be a good one to try with the ATT SE2, I will definitely go ahead and give that a try.

I have seriously not had any issues with the SE1 or Vector. Maybe 1-2 weepers per shave. Today I probably have a good 5-6 weepers and a couple of nicks to boot. Don't remember having such a bad shave in a long long while.

In my hand, the Vector is much "milder" than the SE2, but also less efficient. I encourage you to stay on the SE2 journey. I know you've heard this before, but the "no pressure" mantra means more with the SE2 than the Vector. After several shaves with the Proguards, your confidence will grow, I'm confident. I'm still happy to meet you for coffee or a beer!

In my hand, the Vector is much "milder" than the SE2, but also less efficient. I encourage you to stay on the SE2 journey. I know you've heard this before, but the "no pressure" mantra means more with the SE2 than the Vector. After several shaves with the Proguards, your confidence will grow, I'm confident. I'm still happy to meet you for coffee or a beer!
Absolutely. Once the COVID-19 situation gets better we can try to meet up .. :). Alternatively, if you happen to visit Whidbey Island feel free to let me know and we can meet up here as well.

One thing I believe I should add is that the shave itself was very good in closeness. That was really not a problem. It was just the blood and gore (well mainly blood) that was sacrificed to make that happen.

Top Bottom