What's new

Fried green tomatoes

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Pulled a couple from the garden yesterday. Anyone else making these this time of year?

1591913610451.png

1591913666228.png

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Will be when they come in. Funny thing - I very much dislike tomatoes. Can’t stand them. Don’t like them in my salad, don’t like them on my sandwich, don’t like them even in the garden. The way they SMELL when you brush up against them. Yuck!

But I enjoy salsa, I enjoy fried green tomatoes, I enjoy tomato soup, spaghetti sauce, etc.
I can live without ketchup though. Just can’t stand raw tomatoes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Some of us are waiting not so patiently for that recipe! Not that I'll have any green tomatoes to fry for another 2 months!

Mine have NEVER looked that good. Wow.
[/QUOTE]
You have to understand, Mike could grow anything in vacuum cleaner bag dirt.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Will be when they come in. Funny thing - I very much dislike tomatoes. Can’t stand them. Don’t like them in my salad, don’t like them on my sandwich, don’t like them even in the garden. The way they SMELL when you brush up against them. Yuck!

But I enjoy salsa, I enjoy fried green tomatoes, I enjoy tomato soup, spaghetti sauce, etc.
That's honest. I can't stand Vienna sausages....with or without ketchup.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Picked my first ripe Celebrity today. Very sweet. Might go pull some of the green ones soon and fry them up.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Some of us are waiting not so patiently for that recipe! Not that I'll have any green tomatoes to fry for another 2 months!

Mine have NEVER looked that good. Wow.
[/QUOTE]

There are several different ways. Like you make chicken fried steak...kinda sorta.

Mix up an egg and milk wash.
Put some flour and cornmeal in a plate.
Dredge tomato slices in the flour, then the milk/egg wash, then the cornmeal.
Fry in hot oil.

Pretty much like this recipe, except we use regular milk instead of buttermilk.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

There are several different ways. Like you make chicken fried steak...kinda sorta.

Fry in hot oil.

Thanks Mike.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Fry in hot oil.

[/QUOTE]
Mike, do you serve that up with some ranch dressing?

same here, fried and green is the only way I will eat the vile things. Makes me mad when I specifically order a sandwich, etc without tomatoes and they put them on anyway, then I have to pick them off but they leave behind their snail trail of tomato snot, gross. Pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and processed salsa(not fresh) is where I draw the line.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
same here, fried and green is the only way I will eat the vile things. Makes me mad when I specifically order a sandwich, etc without tomatoes and they put them on anyway, then I have to pick them off but they leave behind their snail trail of tomato snot, gross. Pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and processed salsa(not fresh) is where I draw the line.

You poor soul.
Snot, snots, snots.

Name that TV show.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tomato Snot! Great Scott! This is my favorite post of the month of June! I love tomatoes, but thanks for this!!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What happened? The pussiums tore down 3 of my bottom cluster of tomatoes to the dirt. One of the red brothers bit the dust. Although the green sisters survived to the frying pan. Timing was perfect for Mikes thread. The marinara sauce was from fresh from my cherry tomatoes.

20200613_183520.jpg
20200613_185654.jpg
20200613_190231.jpg
20200613_191545.jpg

Thanks Mike.

Top Bottom