What's new

ASD2 - what am I doing wrong?

I think it’s too mild for most people and unless you have fine facial hair like a lot of Asian men do.

I don't have fine facial hair at all. Mine is coarse and fast growing. Yet for me the feather as D2 is shaving perfection. And I don't find it needs a "perfect angle" either.

It's a mystery to me how this razor performs so well for some and poorly for others.

All I know is I'll never give up mine!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You'll find even published information screwing this up, but steep and shallow angles are defined as illustrated in these photos. The blue line is the skin.

1591716857477.png
1591716873625.png

The AS-D2 likes a shallow, cap riding angle and a Feather blade.

I don't like a Feather blade (they shave me very nicely but always make me regret using them as they irritate my skin; they sure are sharp though).

Most people seem to like the Feather blade. You'd think, if you use the AS-D2 and the Feather blade together, they were made to go together.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks all for the advice. I tried again this morning with a steeper shaving angle (handle more parallel to ground) and a Kai blade. Results are much improved! I will keep working and refining it, but this was a big step forward.
Actually that is a shallower blade angle you are using. Angle should be defined by blade angle as that is the bit that cuts the stubble. It seems you may have been using a steep blade angle previously, as images in the above post shows, hence not getting a good performance from the razor. Keep trying till you get near the design angle and your shaves will improve.

I was in same condition than you and was near to sale the D2. But i read lot of post on B&B and tell myself the problem is not the razor but simply me.
I was using feather blade and always have blood spots.
Now i use Shark super chrome with proraso blue.
Its simply marvelous, always get BBS in 2 passes.
Always BBS either on daily shave than a 3 days beard.
Feather AS-D2 is like a scalpel and you should learn how to use it.

I have an AS-D2 and really like it at this point. It took me a while to get there though. What changed was an improvement in my technique. I had to learn how to shave without pressure being applied for one thing. I also learned how to find the proper angle. Two of the best indicators for this are the feel of the razor cutting your beard and the sound that this makes.

To summarize, shave without applying pressure, letting the weight of this stainless steel instrument do the work. As you draw the razor gently across your face, adjust your angle until you feel and hear the razor cutting your beard. The difference should be obvious to you if you open your mind up to sensing it. At a certain point as you adjust the angle, you will feel it. Then do your best to maintain that angle. Understand that you can never be perfect and that, from time to time, you will lose the sense of cutting. A micro-adjustment will bring you back. After a time it will be intuitive.

I use Feather blades exclusively in this razor.

I hope this helps.

This is the only razor I can use daily. It took a while to get the angle right; after that just great shaves.

My wife uses it, too, and loves it.

I'm using an AS-D2 with Feather blades for about a month and only in the last week or two have I really started to get the angle and pressure correct. It definitely took (for me) some practice! A few folks suggested that this need to get the technique and angle "right" is a great way to learn this style of shaving. It makes sense to me. It doesn't seem like a very forgiving tool, but I get a very very clean and smooth shave so long as I do my part and don't get in a rush.

I am going to keep trying for another few weeks. I am having better results but not nearly as good as the vintage Gillette. If results don’t get close to that you will see it on the Buy / Sell / Trade :)

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I am going to keep trying for another few weeks. I am having better results but not nearly as good as the vintage Gillette. If results don’t get close to that you will see it on the Buy / Sell / Trade :)
I love my AS-D2, but it is very much a razor that rewards technique and patience, at least in my experience.

If nothing else, you’ll have learnt the importance of technique and its impact on the quality of your shave when you’re finished, whether you decide to sell or keep the razor.

Yet another viewpoint:

I tried an AS-D1 and then an AS-D2, each for several months, but I ended up selling both. It was just too much trouble to get a good shave. On the other hand, I've gotten close and comfortable shaves from all of the four Techs I've used, right from the get-go, and the shaves have gotten better and quicker as I've gotten more used to them. Results differ depending on the blade, but I've had very-good-to-excellent results with a number of blades, including Gillette Silver Blue, Black. Green, and Yellow, Wilkinson, Personna Red, Crystal, Polsilver, SuperMax, and Feather.

As an example, this morning's shave was with a pre-WW2 Tech, Elios blade (3rd shave), Stirling Sheep soap, and Rudy Vey/Shavemac Pure Badger brush. Result is BBS with no hint of nicking or irritation--and an enjoyable experience. Results with my more common 1970 Tech are similar if NOT QUITE as excellent. At $15-$25 for a clean one, readily-available on BST, eBay, Etsy, etc., a common Tech is certainly worth a try.

I'm Feather fan. I use some Feather products with great pleasure. Even i think that Feather AS-D2 - the most overrated razor in the existense! I really dislike it! Only one positive thing i noticed. Is the impeccable build quality. Build quality is good, but i don't need a $140-200 paperweight. First of all It's very very mild. If you have tough whiskers like mine. Forget about it. Even Feather blade wouldn't help you. Agains the grain scenario always causes irritation because how mild this is. This razor is super heavy to me. It's fine if it's only heavy but with this stupid holding angle - shaving feels like hell. In the end i desided selling this razor. Then i bought Gillette Slim Adjustable, Gem Micromatic, Schick Adjustable, Schick Type G8 - all in perfect condition. With shipping in summary they costed me less than a Feather. And what a great razors they are. I bought such a wide variety. Just to find the perfect razor for my whiskers and skin type.

I have stuck with this razor for maybe 2 months at this point and have realized that going slightly against the grain (har har) and using the astra SP with this razor and "mild" pressure actually does the magic and NOT using feather blades (or kai blades) that seem to be the fine wine pairing with this razoor.

By mild pressure I really mean as little pressure as I can muster in the morning w/out being properly awake. W/ the sharper blades I was nicking myself at random in weird spots (under nose, under lips, wherever my old man face is old-mannish) .. W/ the astra blades you can go ATG XTG ABCDTG all day and your face and the razor does not care and afterwards a fingernail will feel no stubble no matter what direction you go at it at (so BBS?). W/ sharper blades I kept going to such a light / weird angles I was accidentally not shaving. In contrast, w/ Astras you are sharp but not lunatic sharp so you can abuse it like one abuses cartridges, perfect for people who are half-asleep.

To be honest I do not think I am so light I am just using the weight of the razor to shave, that level of lightness is beyond my skills and just seems too delicate an activity for mornings.. (so I would say just slightly more careful than cartridges)

Regards
Avi

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

You already jumped ahead of me in shaving skill. Maybe you were always ahead of me in acronym construction?

Very glad to read about the pairing with Astra (SP or SS?). Should I get such a razor, it’s a relief to know more affordable blades can be sweet in it.

@Againsthegrain - those are some great razors you bought. The G series of Injectors are artwork stuck to a very capable blade. If I may ask: Did any of them best your stubble? Which GEM Micromatic did you get? Has your Feather AS-D2 left your possession to be enjoyed by someone with less mightier whiskers?

You already jumped ahead of me in shaving skill. Maybe you were always ahead of me in acronym construction?

Very glad to read about the pairing with Astra (SP or SS?). Should I get such a razor, it’s a relief to know more affordable blades can be sweet in it.
I think the idea of the cheap tech that looks like an asd2 actually makes sense. You can really pick good ones up on eBay for cheap, its cheaper than a car fill up (well PA over priced gas maybe), and if it doesn't work just get your money back by reselling it. SPs.. I really did think the "blades" being different was psychosomatic gibberish before this. Derby extra's dispelled that idea pretty quickly :(

Avi

thombrogan

Astra SPs work for me. Occasionally tempted by Derby Extras, but I wait out the urge. Very cool that you learned the AS-D2’s riddle. Hoping ChunkyOwl gets his to reveal it’s awesomeness as well.

Tech I nabbed was definitely less than a tank of gas. The Feather AS-D2 is likely be smoother, but mine will be haunted.

I am still struggling with it. I can’t get a smooth shave and despite the mild nature of the razor I end up with lots of irritation. This is because I keep having to do more strokes to cut any stubble. This seems to be the case regardless of blade. Shaving with a Kai and riding the cap has given me the best results, but those are far inferior to a moderate aggression razor. By comparison, I just bought a Merkur 34C from another member here and can get a BBS shave with no irritation or issues. Same story with a Gillette Aristocrat - wonderful shaves. I think this one may not be for me. I think I lack the focus, technique and/or skin/beard type to make this razor work.

Once I reach the 45 day membership tenure eligibility to post it on the B/S/T I think I will probably do so. Much more interested to trade it (plus cash if needed) for a Tatara, Timeless or Charcoal Goods moderate aggressive razor. Those seem more suitable for me based on my experience thus far. I do sincerely appreciate all the advice here though! It has been very valuable and I continue to learn.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I am still struggling with it. I can’t get a smooth shave and despite the mild nature of the razor I end up with lots of irritation. This is because I keep having to do more strokes to cut any stubble. This seems to be the case regardless of blade. Shaving with a Kai and riding the cap has given me the best results, but those are far inferior to a moderate aggression razor. By comparison, I just bought a Merkur 34C from another member here and can get a BBS shave with no irritation or issues. Same story with a Gillette Aristocrat - wonderful shaves. I think this one may not be for me. I think I lack the focus, technique and/or skin/beard type to make this razor work.

Once I reach the 45 day membership tenure eligibility to post it on the B/S/T I think I will probably do so. Much more interested to trade it (plus cash if needed) for a Tatara, Timeless or Charcoal Goods moderate aggressive razor. Those seem more suitable for me based on my experience thus far. I do sincerely appreciate all the advice here though! It has been very valuable and I continue to learn.
Sounds like you gave it your all — no shame in unloading a razor that just doesn’t work for you.

thombrogan

Thanks for the update, @ChunkyOwl Very sorry it didn’t work out for you. Your suggested alternatives are high-class eye-candy with a reputation for high-class results. I hope you find the spoil-yourself that provides you with the high-end construction of the Feather AS-D2 and irritation-free BBS of the Merkur 34C.

Top Bottom