What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On the plus side, Connaught just emailed me, they have the FOCS back in stock. Now if they will just deliver the Gold Grande and VITOS Extra Super COCO Soft Shaving Soap (100 ml JAR) I ordered from them in April.................Royal Mail, aaaaaargggggghhhhhhhh............

BTW, Tuesday's shave with a pretty Polsilver(5) was probably one of my most comfortable and close shaves ever. EVER. Know anybody that has them in stock?
it's not like you need to order them any time soon. Lol

Doug

I saw Polsilver SI blades on eBay in the last few days (not cheap).

What about Wizamet blades (supposed to be just like Polsilvers but I've not used 'em yet)? Link. I ordered a few.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
What about Wizamet blades (supposed to be just like Polsilvers but I've not used 'em yet)? Link. I ordered a few.
The guy at West Coast Shaving told me last year that he was recommending Gillette Platinum blades to his Polsilver customers, so I tried a tuck. Went right up to the top of my rotation.
The Polsilver blades you sent me are now tied at the top with the Gillette Platinum blades, and I have a few of them.

It's not like I don't have blades to try, I just got a tuck each of Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Green, and Black, and a tuck of Bolzano's, not to mention my SE stuff........... I will wait for the Wizamet review :pipe:

Royal Mail, aaaaaargggggghhhhhhhh............
:hand: Excuse me being patriotic, Doug, but recently I sent a package to a B&B brother in Seattle. Less than 24 hours after posting it, it was in the air over the pond. Eleven days after that it was received, even though USPS Tracking still think they may not have delivered it (as the delivery wasn't scanned).
1591895108336.png

:001_tt2:

:hand: Excuse me being patriotic, Doug, but recently I sent a package to a B&B brother in Seattle. Less than 24 hours after posting it, it was in the air over the pond. Eleven days after that it was received, even though USPS Tracking still think they may not have delivered it (as the delivery wasn't scanned).
View attachment 1111850

I used to be a Postie. I've yet to meet a crazier bunch of people and yet somehow everything worked like a well oiled machine. You'd never guess it, walking into the sorting office where I worked. Talk about eye opening!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The guy at West Coast Shaving told me last year that he was recommending Gillette Platinum blades to his Polsilver customers, so I tried a tuck. Went right up to the top of my rotation.
The Polsilver blades you sent me are now tied at the top with the Gillette Platinum blades, and I have a few of them.

It's not like I don't have blades to try, I just got a tuck each of Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Green, and Black, and a tuck of Bolzano's, not to mention my SE stuff........... I will wait for the Wizamet review :pipe:

Cool.

I have thousands of blades (they multiplied in my dresser drawer), but am extremely unlikely to even try most of the ones I've not already tried. I liked some of the ones I tried, but not like I like the Polsilvers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I notice that Polsilver, Gillette Platinum , and Super Stainless Green have essentially the same sharpness/durability profile per the objective testing at refinedshave. FWIW

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1111850
I blame it on Connaught, Cal. :mad2:

Usually it takes 2-3 weeks, I ordered some blades from them February, and they arrived in 8 days.

They sent me confirmation April 27 my last package had been sent. After 30 days I checked on my status and this is what they had to say.

connaught.png

Connaught specifically blamed the Royal Mail Airmail Small Packets for the delay.:incazzato

So I wait another 2 weeks. ⛵⛵⛵

IB did the same thing to me last year during their move. I even paid for expedited shipping, they blamed it on Canadian Mail...........all I know is that once it hit the USA border :kyle1:it arrived in 3 days.

At least the epoxy is holding on my Mk1:em2300:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Converted to DE shaving only Jim?

Good question.

Probably don't have a very good answer, but I'll give it a shot.

Fatip.Double.Slant(s).jpg

I'd known all along that I would buy a Fatip slant when they became available. I knew I'd shave with the Fatip slant at least once. What I didn't know was how good the Fatip Open Comb Slant would be. It instantly jumped ahead of all other DE razors I've used. My historically favorite safety razors have been injectors and AC razors, and my historically number one safety razor has been my Schick Type E2 open to clean. It didn't take long at all for the FOCS to displace them all.

Straight razors are great in the comfort they deliver, but I've never gotten a shave as close and smooth and consistently good as my shaves with the FOCS. Plus, the level of comfort of my shaves with the FOCS is at least as good as the high comfort level with straight razors.

I like other razors, especially my best injectors and the straight razors...

Fatip OC Slant (meme).480.png

If you have a Fatip Open Comb Slant the question soon becomes why shave with anything else?

It's that good!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was good...

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

...partially due to a good blade. Today was my 7th shave with this Polsilver which is flipped daily.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

I'm enjoying my splash at the moment, both its scent and the feel of it on my skin.

6-14-20.70:30.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

I'm considering using this brush exclusively for the next week. Partly because I like the brush. Partly to move the knot's break in process along.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my shave was good like my shaves always are these days.

Polsilver (8). Just getting warmed up it is.

6-15-20.Vitos.70:30.FOCS.640JPG.JPG

What's that razor?

The brush is a 70/30 knot from Maggard in its break in process and improving. It's already a very nice knot in a very nice handle.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Oh, my, does Atomic Age Bay Rum smell wonderful or what? It is also a long lasting scent which becomes subtle after a while and yet can be picked up by my nose when I "smell for it."

Great splash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was very good indeed.

PAA BayRum.ExtraPoints.480.png

My, what a nice scent!

6-16-20.VitosRed.70:30.FOCS.640.JPG

My usual kit continues to perform at an excellent level.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpgHyaluronicAcid.PumpBottle.1-7-20.480.JPG

Polsilver. Shave #9. Using the magic hyaluronic acid post shave has been a game changer for me.

All in all, very pleasing kit & shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday my shave was as expected.

6-18-20.FOCS.70:30:VitosRed.640.JPG

This 70/30 knot (Maggard) is breaking in albeit very slowly. I'm not noticing split ends (am I missing them when I look?); what's up with that? Still, I like the brush.

What a kit!

Shave #11 on this Polsilver blade which I flip every day.

Hard to beat a scent as good as this splash's.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday I got a good shave (again).

6-19-20.FOCS.70:30.VitosRed.640.JPG

Having checked the knot for dryness over the last several days of daily use it's apparent it's not getting entirely dry between shaves. In my view knots should be allowed to dry. Mine were dry by my assessments of them when I was alternating just two brushes. I'm going back to using more than one brush.

I want this knot to break in as rapidly as possible, but I also want it dry prior to every use of it.

This mixed 70/30 knot is a weird one. Not that I don't like it, but it is not developing split ends to the boar bristles as far as I can see. It is also losing one or two bristles with every shave so far. Plus it looks to be poorly shaped. I'm not sure it's a truly high quality knot. I'm also not giving up on it, but I have my doubts. Yet, I like it.

I like it for it's overall feel in spite of it still having more scritch (bad scritch) than optimum. It certainly builds a nice lather, too.

1592584492214.png

Brush included.

1592584605940.png

Blade, too.

Happy skin. Happy nose.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom