What's new

So you talked me into it

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hmmm. Good to know. Mrs. Rookie will be pleased with the excuse to go to the liquor store.

So I picked up some new toys today. Nothing fancy, just some Ball jars to properly store my hoard (almost but not quite 10 oz.) and I remembered I have just about 2 ounces of black Cavendish. I'm not going to say that I regret buying it, but I don't at all care for the taste of it straight. So I guess my question is this.

If you had some bulk black cav sitting around, as well as some Stokkebye English luxury, a basic straight burley, Escudo, and Stokkebye LBF, what would you do to not waste the cav? But before you answer that, I'll be at a B&M store. So if there's something better than I have to mix it with, it's an option too. Thanks!

I think while I'm at the store, I'll pick up 6 ounces of LBF. I kinda like it, a vaper is a good thing to try and figure out. But I hear good things about cellaring them. So 3 oz for 6 Christmas or so, and 3 for the 4th of July, 2021. I kinda want to smoke what I have first before heading down this rabbit hole (which I recognize as my destination).
I got a one oz sample of Amphora Res cav, lit it and tossed it in the trash. Absolutely Awful. Find a couple of blends you like and just smoke them for a while then venture out a bit at a time. Once upon a time,
most men smoked only blend. I’m looking for just two to bulk up on a VaPer
And a Burley and I have a few tins for the occasional switch off. I’ve found the VaPer that suits me and now have to decide on a Burley blend. Pipe smoking and shaving are two things I prefer to keep as simple as possible. Simplicity is much underrated.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Pipe smoking and shaving are two things I prefer to keep as simple as possible. Simplicity is much underrated.

Couldn't agree more! I'm skipping about all over in the pipe realm at the moment, but only so I can simplify it with my favourites quicker. By the end of the year, I should be set with my pipe set for life (barring any mishaps), and have settled on a handful of favourite tobaccos to swap between, with a few others pre-tested and approved should any of my favourites become unavailable.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Couldn't agree more! I'm skipping about all over in the pipe realm at the moment, but only so I can simplify it with my favourites quicker. By the end of the year, I should be set with my pipe set for life (barring any mishaps), and have settled on a handful of favourite tobaccos to swap between, with a few others pre-tested and approved should any of my favourites become unavailable.
Yeah. Oddly, my favorites have always been unexpected and somewhat accidental. The trick of it is to stop looking. I’ve been at it for over 50 years and it isn’t that difficult any longer though. It’s like shave soap. When you find one or two that work for you, stop looking and just kick back and enjoy. I like VaPers and Burleys and I don’t like heavily topped tobacco or straight Va’s. I like the taste of tobacco. Knowing those few things really narrows the field. I’m deciding on two primary blends and I have enough odds and ends for a quick break now and then. I will build up a good stock of the VaPer I’ve chosen and the Burley once decided. I smoke a lot of pipe tobacco and don’t want to get a bunch of stuff that will eventually become “meh”.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yeah. Oddly, my favorites have always been unexpected and somewhat accidental. The trick of it is to stop looking. I’ve been at it for over 50 years and it isn’t that difficult any longer though. It’s like shave soap. When you find one or two that work for you, stop looking and just kick back and enjoy. I like VaPers and Burleys and I don’t like heavily topped tobacco or straight Va’s. I like the taste of tobacco. Knowing those few things really narrows the field. I’m deciding on two primary blends and I have enough odds and ends for a quick break now and then. I will build up a good stock of the VaPer I’ve chosen and the Burley once decided. I smoke a lot of pipe tobacco and don’t want to get a bunch of stuff that will eventually become “meh”.

Yup. I might have a few more favourite tobaccos than you. I can see an English, a Va or VaPer, a VaBur, and a couple of aromatics being on each year's rations, with maybe one of the aromatics being a Lakeland. I don't want it getting too complicated though. Thankfully, my tastes are quite simplistic with pipes too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When you try a few and narrow them to the ones you like. Try others of similar blends and pick one you like best then try another style and do the same and pick the best of that class etc. until you find the best of the best. Just keep circling the wagons till you get a single blend from each style. Then maybe do the same process with your favorites and you can end up with very few most favorites. Unfortunately, it takes time but is a fun trip. As much as I would like to find a single blend, it is unlikely but having just two would be a great accomplishment for me. Others are quite the opposite and there is no right or wrong way. It just comes down to the individual. For me, it was the same way with cigarettes. I started out smoking various brands but in the end, it was Camels which I smoked for several years before I quit. I guess that’s the Kim of guy I am.

When you try a few and narrow them to the ones you like. Try others of similar blends and pick one you like best then try another style and do the same and pick the best of that class etc. until you find the best of the best. Just keep circling the wagons till you get a single blend from each style. Then maybe do the same process with your favorites and you can end up with very few most favorites.

That's my plan right now. Well, ok, I'm new. So as I'm trying to learn how to smoke this contraption, I'm also trying to figure out what it is I like and (just as important) dislike.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That's my plan right now. Well, ok, I'm new. So as I'm trying to learn how to smoke this contraption, I'm also trying to figure out what it is I like and (just as important) dislike.
Since you are new at it, perhaps start out with some good but simple American blends like Prince Albert, Half &Half, or Sir Walter Raleigh. These are available over the counter still and are good solid tobaccos. These will give you a good base to begin with while you are learning to smoke that “contraption”. It is a good idea to avoid the heavily topped cavendish pouches that seem to be everywhere now. One important thing to remember and work on is to sip your pipe. Let the smoke rest in your mouth a bit before you puff it out and take another sip. This will keep your pipe from getting hot and allow for a longer more pleasant smoke. It won’t take long to figure it out. You will find your way of getting a pleasant smoke. A pipe is all about relaxation.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Since you are new at it, perhaps start out with some good but simple American blends like Prince Albert, Half &Half, or Sir Walter Raleigh. These are available over the counter still and are good solid tobaccos. These will give you a good base to begin with while you are learning to smoke that “contraption”. It is a good idea to avoid the heavily topped cavendish pouches that seem to be everywhere now. One important thing to remember and work on is to sip your pipe. Let the smoke rest in your mouth a bit before you puff it out and take another sip. This will keep your pipe from getting hot and allow for a longer more pleasant smoke. It won’t take long to figure it out. You will find your way of getting a pleasant smoke. A pipe is all about relaxation.
I second the recommendation to run through some OTC blends. They are cheap, easy to find and you won't find a better teacher then the classics.

I stopped by the drug store on the way home and got some Carter Hall based on that's what they had. I plan on trying some tonight. Everything else is in jars now, so I'm going to finish the CH before moving on. At least that's the plan. I know some of the English/ Cavendish mixture will end up in my bowls here and there, but it's a risk I'm willing to take!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I stopped by the drug store on the way home and got some Carter Hall based on that's what they had. I plan on trying some tonight. Everything else is in jars now, so I'm going to finish the CH before moving on. At least that's the plan. I know some of the English/ Cavendish mixture will end up in my bowls here and there, but it's a risk I'm willing to take!
CH is a good blend - enjoy

So I realized I was doing something wrong. I've been packing it backwards! I've been mashing the first punch down really good and lightened up tamping subsequent pinches. Last night I fixed what I was doing, and I only had one relight! So that's good.

I did end up going to that B&M store yesterday. But I was good and only bought 5 oz of PS LBF for after everything else open is finished and 3 oz of some house ribbon cut VA to be enjoyed next summer. I was able to resist the bulk jars of everything else, all the pretty colorful tins behind the case, the cheaper just as colorful tins by the basket pipes. I will admit to looking through the basket. If they had a nice Canadian, Oom Paul, chimney bowl, Bing Crosby looking pipe, or a churchwarden for a friend, I probably would have walked out with that as well if I'm being honest with myself.

So last night I lit a fire for us outside. We spent an enjoyable evening amongst the smoke of many trees and leaves. I managed to keep the briar lit on 2 lights (the charring and then the "real" light). And I got to feel as cool and badass as Steve McQueen as I pulled a burning stick out of the fire and lit my cob with it. If you've never done that before, I can't recommend it highly enough.

So my journey progresses along in fits and spurts. One step forwards, two to the side, and a half backwards. But that's what progress really looks like. I've found the key is enjoying the bowl packed. Not worrying too much about the last one, not thinking at all about the next. Just enjoy the flavors of this one, watch the sun and birds go down, the moon come up, the stars and bats come out. Listening to the fire crackle and the cars go by.

I've found it's a lot like photography. I can take a technicality perfect photo of something boring and I'll not enjoy it, no matter how dead on the exposure, no matter how well I nailed focus. On the other hand if it's an interesting subject, as long as I'm close enough with exposure and framing and focus, that's the one I fall in love with. For the pipes, packing and relights and cadence, that's all my technical skills (or lack of lol). If I nail it but the rest of the stars aren't aligned, I won't enjoy myself. If I'm mentally in a good place, it can gurgle and go out after every puff and I'm still going to be as happy as a clam running cleaners down and going through a book of matches. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but that's where I am now.

Well, that's only one side of where I am now. Another side is I'm trying very hard not to get ahead of myself. I fully realize my path leads down this ant farm hole. I say that instead of wormhole because there's are so many twists and turns, so many side paths, so many branches that I could take the next 40 years and not come close to exploring all the nuances of it all. Briers, meerschaum, cobs, shapes, Englishes, vaper, aromatics, and so on forever!

On that note, no stupid Rookie questions today. Instead, we should all take great pleasure in our hobby/vice which allows us the chance to show down, contemplate life's mysteries, and thus increase our quality of lives.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So I realized I was doing something wrong. I've been packing it backwards! I've been mashing the first punch down really good and lightened up tamping subsequent pinches. Last night I fixed what I was doing, and I only had one relight! So that's good.

I did end up going to that B&M store yesterday. But I was good and only bought 5 oz of PS LBF for after everything else open is finished and 3 oz of some house ribbon cut VA to be enjoyed next summer. I was able to resist the bulk jars of everything else, all the pretty colorful tins behind the case, the cheaper just as colorful tins by the basket pipes. I will admit to looking through the basket. If they had a nice Canadian, Oom Paul, chimney bowl, Bing Crosby looking pipe, or a churchwarden for a friend, I probably would have walked out with that as well if I'm being honest with myself.

So last night I lit a fire for us outside. We spent an enjoyable evening amongst the smoke of many trees and leaves. I managed to keep the briar lit on 2 lights (the charring and then the "real" light). And I got to feel as cool and badass as Steve McQueen as I pulled a burning stick out of the fire and lit my cob with it. If you've never done that before, I can't recommend it highly enough.

So my journey progresses along in fits and spurts. One step forwards, two to the side, and a half backwards. But that's what progress really looks like. I've found the key is enjoying the bowl packed. Not worrying too much about the last one, not thinking at all about the next. Just enjoy the flavors of this one, watch the sun and birds go down, the moon come up, the stars and bats come out. Listening to the fire crackle and the cars go by.

I've found it's a lot like photography. I can take a technicality perfect photo of something boring and I'll not enjoy it, no matter how dead on the exposure, no matter how well I nailed focus. On the other hand if it's an interesting subject, as long as I'm close enough with exposure and framing and focus, that's the one I fall in love with. For the pipes, packing and relights and cadence, that's all my technical skills (or lack of lol). If I nail it but the rest of the stars aren't aligned, I won't enjoy myself. If I'm mentally in a good place, it can gurgle and go out after every puff and I'm still going to be as happy as a clam running cleaners down and going through a book of matches. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but that's where I am now.

Well, that's only one side of where I am now. Another side is I'm trying very hard not to get ahead of myself. I fully realize my path leads down this ant farm hole. I say that instead of wormhole because there's are so many twists and turns, so many side paths, so many branches that I could take the next 40 years and not come close to exploring all the nuances of it all. Briers, meerschaum, cobs, shapes, Englishes, vaper, aromatics, and so on forever!

On that note, no stupid Rookie questions today. Instead, we should all take great pleasure in our hobby/vice which allows us the chance to show down, contemplate life's mysteries, and thus increase our quality of lives.
You sound like a pipe smoker 😉

So it turns out I'm a luckier man than I thought in some ways. I came home and checked the mail to find a package from P&C. I don't remember ordering anything, what could it be? I walked in opening it and Mrs. Rookie's face fell. I saw a tin of Peace's Jackknife Plug which was supposed to be a Father's Day present which I spoiled. I look forward to trying this!

The reviews were generally positive, but I'm not experienced enough to really translate. Dark fired Kentucky was on my want to try list. And it may be corny, but I grew up on cowboy movies and I like the idea of cutting off from the plug cool like lever action rifles.

So today's Stupid Rookie Question. [Standard boilerplate YMMV statement] Where does this one shine? Daytime, nighttime, in a full stomach? Thank you!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm not sure where it shines, but definitely smoke it on a full stomach. I got very nic sick the first time I smoked it, like had to go to bed nic sick. But I'm a lightweight when it comes to nicotine. I hope your mileage varies.

So something cool and interesting happened yesterday and today. Mrs. Rookie apparently got ahold of my phone and saw my tobaccos I want to try list, which is where the jackknife plug came from. Yesterday I came home to find 2 new mason jars filled with 2 ounces each of C&D's haunted bookshop and Sutliff's Evening Pipe match. The last of my Father's Day presents. Today is the day before, close enough in my mind to try one of those 3 new blends. I think the Sutliff, because...

Mrs. Rookie said something interesting. While she was jarring up the C&D, she was really enamored by the smell. "If your cigarettes smelled like that, I'd let you smoke in the house!" She apparently liked the smell so much she asked if she could try a taste when I have it. So I think what I'll do is pack up half a bowl of that and half another bowl of the Sutliff. She can have the one she likes. If she likes it, great! If not, I'll still have a full bowl.

So something cool and interesting happened yesterday and today. Mrs. Rookie apparently got ahold of my phone and saw my tobaccos I want to try list, which is where the jackknife plug came from. Yesterday I came home to find 2 new mason jars filled with 2 ounces each of C&D's haunted bookshop and Sutliff's Evening Pipe match. The last of my Father's Day presents. Today is the day before, close enough in my mind to try one of those 3 new blends. I think the Sutliff, because...

Mrs. Rookie said something interesting. While she was jarring up the C&D, she was really enamored by the smell. "If your cigarettes smelled like that, I'd let you smoke in the house!" She apparently liked the smell so much she asked if she could try a taste when I have it. So I think what I'll do is pack up half a bowl of that and half another bowl of the Sutliff. She can have the one she likes. If she likes it, great! If not, I'll still have a full bowl.
My girlfriend loves the smell of tobacco. I’m waiting for her to want to try it.
Good plan. Half bowl wouldn’t be overwhelming!

Top Bottom