What's new

So you talked me into it

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I only plan on dropping real money...

£25 (currently $32ish USD) is my ceiling. Everything I own cost that or less, and smokes perfectly fine. I might be flexible for an extra £5 or so, but £50+ for a pipe is no go for me. There's no real value for me in anything other than function and ergonomics, which I've managed to get comfortably within my price range so far

Don’t want to take my LE pipes everywhere haha I’m thinking a falcon? It would be 50$ for the stem and bowl combo that I’m considering....

I'm considering a Falcon too, and that would require some flexibility on my financial limit. I can get a Hunter bowl on an International stem, for around £28. I can also get a meer lined bowl for about £23. That's two "pipes" for £51ish, albeit the meer lined on costing more than £25 in real terms. These would (should) handle my Virginia and Perique needs quite well - assuming the International curved stem is a sitter - I haven't been able to verify that yet.

I know the standard metal stems sit, but I'm not entirely sold on those. They kind of look like they're for smoking other things...

Time for today's stupid Rookie questions! So with both the cobs and briar, at the end of each smoke, I follow the same steps. Knock out the ash against my palm, dump that. Run a hard cleaner through the stem, then a soft. I'll double up the soft pipe cleaner and use that to knock off anything loose in the bowl. At some point the following day, I'll pull the stem off and run a hard then soft cleaner again and reassemble. Is that about right? Missing anything or too much of something? Thanks!

As I look throughout the day at pipes to dream about, I keep reading about smoking times. I'll read a review that says such and such smokes great and looks beautiful. But it only smokes for an hour and a half! Yeah, it's great for a lunchtime half hour session. I read that and think my lunchtime is only a half hour. And with young children in the house, outside of the odd weekend hike, anything that's more than an hour and a half cuts into my sleeping time.

Maybe that's me coming from the world of cigarettes. 5 minutes and you got your nic fix. Boom, back to work/ children/ whatever. The cigars I enjoyed lasted about 45 minutes, and that was a treat to smoke one uninterrupted. I'm really growing to like my little Eaton. A 45 minute smoke is usually long enough, and I have more if it's not. Perfect for the time between kids going to bed and me going to bed.

£25 (currently $32ish USD) is my ceiling. Everything I own cost that or less, and smokes perfectly fine. I might be flexible for an extra £5 or so, but £50+ for a pipe is no go for me. There's no real value for me in anything other than function and ergonomics, which I've managed to get comfortably within my price range so far

I'm considering a Falcon too, and that would require some flexibility on my financial limit. I can get a Hunter bowl on an International stem, for around £28. I can also get a meer lined bowl for about £23. That's two "pipes" for £51ish, albeit the meer lined on costing more than £25 in real terms. These would (should) handle my Virginia and Perique needs quite well - assuming the International curved stem is a sitter - I haven't been able to verify that yet.

I know the standard metal stems sit, but I'm not entirely sold on those. They kind of look like they're for smoking other things...
I too am looking at the international stem in the bent format though. I like the black. I do not have any bent pipes though...

All I know is I want something I can comfortably sit and clench while I am drafting or typing. As for the bowl, I have no idea what to get. I saw the Meer and like those because they don’t ghost. That would make the pipe universal for blends...

Time for today's stupid Rookie questions! So with both the cobs and briar, at the end of each smoke, I follow the same steps. Knock out the ash against my palm, dump that. Run a hard cleaner through the stem, then a soft. I'll double up the soft pipe cleaner and use that to knock off anything loose in the bowl. At some point the following day, I'll pull the stem off and run a hard then soft cleaner again and reassemble. Is that about right? Missing anything or too much of something? Thanks!

As I look throughout the day at pipes to dream about, I keep reading about smoking times. I'll read a review that says such and such smokes great and looks beautiful. But it only smokes for an hour and a half! Yeah, it's great for a lunchtime half hour session. I read that and think my lunchtime is only a half hour. And with young children in the house, outside of the odd weekend hike, anything that's more than an hour and a half cuts into my sleeping time.

Maybe that's me coming from the world of cigarettes. 5 minutes and you got your nic fix. Boom, back to work/ children/ whatever. The cigars I enjoyed lasted about 45 minutes, and that was a treat to smoke one uninterrupted. I'm really growing to like my little Eaton. A 45 minute smoke is usually long enough, and I have more if it's not. Perfect for the time between kids going to bed and me going to bed.
The Eaton is one I’ve looked at. Decided on the Morgan instead but I plan on getting an Eaton later haha.

I agree 45 mins to an hour is perfect smoke time. Anything longer isn’t satisfying. If i want to smoke more I just pack another.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

We're all different, smoke differently, different frequencies,prefer different tobaccos, live in different climates etc... but for what it's worth (and I'm no expert) I stick to soft pipe cleaners most of the time. I only use the bristle ones for periodic cleaning, and then its bristle first, followed by soft.

In general use, I stick a pipe cleaner down, and if it comes out filthy, I'll use a second one. If it's only dirty at the end, I just flip it around and dunk the clean end in. If a pipe has smoked a bit wet, I'll put a clean pipe cleaner in, and leave it in till the following day. Even when you've cleaned a pipe a couple of times, so the pipe cleaners are coming out clean, leaving one in overnight really soaks some gunk up.

When I change filters, as well as using pipe cleaners down the airway, I'll fold the cleaner double, and use that to clean out both halves of the filter cavity. I don't always do it round the bowl.

As for duration, it depends what's in the bowl, and what's happening in life. I don't always smoke a whole bowl in one sitting. Sometimes it might be ten to fifteen minute instalments, and other times it might be a whole bowl. The longest I've had is about an hour and a half, maybe slightly less, but 45-60 minutes is more typical for me. Some might only last 25 minutes, depending what it is, and how I packed.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I too am looking at the international stem in the bent format though. I like the black. I do not have any bent pipes though...

All I know is I want something I can comfortably sit and clench while I am drafting or typing. As for the bowl, I have no idea what to get. I saw the Meer and like those because they don’t ghost. That would make the pipe universal for blends...

... and even if it does ghost, dedicating bowls to tobaccos is an easy/cheap option.

I think I'll go curved rather than bent on the International, purely because it will sit more stable. I don't clench, not my style. Well, long enough to strike a match, but that's it. I think the bent should clench fine though, and be lighter than the metal ones too.

... and even if it does ghost, dedicating bowls to tobaccos is an easy/cheap option.

I think I'll go curved rather than bent on the International, purely because it will sit more stable. I don't clench, not my style. Well, long enough to strike a match, but that's it. I think the bent should clench fine though, and be lighter than the metal ones too.
Those were my thoughts with the pipe as well. Get a few shapes/sizes for different blends. But then i saw the Meer! Haha

Also I believe I meant
The country bumpkin in me enjoys clenching. Cobs have been my go to so far which is probably the reason I do.

“I yam what i yam an that’s all I yam”

We're all different, smoke differently, different frequencies,prefer different tobaccos, live in different climates etc... but for what it's worth (and I'm no expert) I stick to soft pipe cleaners most of the time. I only use the bristle ones for periodic cleaning, and then its bristle first, followed by soft.

In general use, I stick a pipe cleaner down, and if it comes out filthy, I'll use a second one. If it's only dirty at the end, I just flip it around and dunk the clean end in. If a pipe has smoked a bit wet, I'll put a clean pipe cleaner in, and leave it in till the following day. Even when you've cleaned a pipe a couple of times, so the pipe cleaners are coming out clean, leaving one in overnight really soaks some gunk up.

When I change filters, as well as using pipe cleaners down the airway, I'll fold the cleaner double, and use that to clean out both halves of the filter cavity. I don't always do it round the bowl.

As for duration, it depends what's in the bowl, and what's happening in life. I don't always smoke a whole bowl in one sitting. Sometimes it might be ten to fifteen minute instalments, and other times it might be a whole bowl. The longest I've had is about an hour and a half, maybe slightly less, but 45-60 minutes is more typical for me. Some might only last 25 minutes, depending what it is, and how I packed.

I never use filters. But might try leaving a pipe cleaner in overnight. Makes sense! Thanks for the idea

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Those were my thoughts with the pipe as well. Get a few shapes/sizes for different blends. But then i saw the Meer! Haha

Also I believe I meant
The country bumpkin in me enjoys clenching. Cobs have been my go to so far which is probably the reason I do.

“I yam what i yam an that’s all I yam”

I never use filters. But might try leaving a pipe cleaner in overnight. Makes sense! Thanks for the idea

I never even left cigarettes in my mouth. Horses for courses.

I'm not sure meer lined pipes are as ghost free as block carved meer. Better to think of them as a pre-established cake/briar protector than as a one pipe solution. The reason I looked at one, was it's about the only way to get a narrow and tall/deep bowl on a Falcon

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Unless I don't have any soft pipe cleaners handy, I generally only use bristle pipe cleaners for deep cleans, restorations, or when I first pickup an estate pipe. Also, as long as I can pass a clearer through, I rarely ever remove the stem.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Unless I don't have any soft pipe cleaners handy, I generally only use bristle pipe cleaners for deep cleans, restorations, or when I first pickup an estate pipe. Also, as long as I can pass a clearer through, I rarely ever remove the stem.
This.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I only occasionally resort to using the bristle cleaners. I like to dip my soft pipe cleaners in grain alcohol for after smoke cleaning, it really dissolves the tar nicely, and follow with dry cleaners. One must be careful not to get any ETOH on the stained briar, or it will remove the stain. For a really funky pipe an alcohol soaked cleaner can be left over night in the pipe to loosen things up, positioned to ensure that any excess alcohol doesn't run down the outside of the stem and damage the finish of the briar. You will be amazed at how the pipe cleaner wicks out the tar. If you can't get grain alcohol, any high proof clear liquor will work.

Thanks for the tip. I think a bottle of 190 proof hand sanitizer might have to become acquired from work.

So I'm about at 4 bowls a week. Some days I just don't feel like it, others I'm afraid I'll fall asleep with the cob dangling from my teeth. But I like it when I can. And I'm starting to learn.

I learned duh, like sipping soda through a straw! Not air! Bowls stay lit much longer now. And my littlest bowl holds plenty for me. For now anyways.

I have yet to learn cadence. I'm getting better in fits and spurts. Sometimes I get it, sometimes not. But I figure as long as it's still pleasant to smoke and the bowl isn't hot in my hand, I'm within tolerance. Still plenty of relights, but no tongue bite.

I like English, BUT! That lat gets strong for me. Like a good scotch, in small doses it's wonderful! But too much is not a good thing. I think I'll want to revisit this in the fall/ winter. Burley, however I love as an everyday smoke. In the briar, in the cob, evening, night, it has never been the wrong choice. Vapers, they're tricky. Like Shakespeare, when it's good it's good. But when it's not (when I screw it up), boy is it not! Still trying to learn them.

It's been a very rewarding journey so far. It's been only a couple weeks, under 12 bowls, but I've enjoyed every one (except for the Cavendish straight! That was like drinking gin straight!) and I like doing it. How to explain it? Coming from cigarettes, this is like eating a fresh perfectly ripe tomato right off the vine after a lifetime of grocery store "offerings".

I also want to thank everyone for helping me along the way so far. I don't know anyone in meatspace who smokes a pipe. You guys have really been great helping me along. So, again, thank you.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Thanks for the tip. I think a bottle of 190 proof hand sanitizer might have to become acquired from work.

So I'm about at 4 bowls a week. Some days I just don't feel like it, others I'm afraid I'll fall asleep with the cob dangling from my teeth. But I like it when I can. And I'm starting to learn.

I learned duh, like sipping soda through a straw! Not air! Bowls stay lit much longer now. And my littlest bowl holds plenty for me. For now anyways.

I have yet to learn cadence. I'm getting better in fits and spurts. Sometimes I get it, sometimes not. But I figure as long as it's still pleasant to smoke and the bowl isn't hot in my hand, I'm within tolerance. Still plenty of relights, but no tongue bite.

I like English, BUT! That lat gets strong for me. Like a good scotch, in small doses it's wonderful! But too much is not a good thing. I think I'll want to revisit this in the fall/ winter. Burley, however I love as an everyday smoke. In the briar, in the cob, evening, night, it has never been the wrong choice. Vapers, they're tricky. Like Shakespeare, when it's good it's good. But when it's not (when I screw it up), boy is it not! Still trying to learn them.

It's been a very rewarding journey so far. It's been only a couple weeks, under 12 bowls, but I've enjoyed every one (except for the Cavendish straight! That was like drinking gin straight!) and I like doing it. How to explain it? Coming from cigarettes, this is like eating a fresh perfectly ripe tomato right off the vine after a lifetime of grocery store "offerings".

I also want to thank everyone for helping me along the way so far. I don't know anyone in meatspace who smokes a pipe. You guys have really been great helping me along. So, again, thank you.
Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. That's the bottom line! The rest will come with time and patience.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@ RookieGuy, I would not use hand sanitizer in the pipe! It contains more than alcohol, stuff you don't want to inhale or taste. If you can't get grain alcohol, Bacardi 151 rum will do. If you wouldn't drink it, don't use it, that includes isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@ RookieGuy, I would not use hand sanitizer in the pipe! It contains more than alcohol, stuff you don't want to inhale or taste. If you can't get grain alcohol, Bacardi 151 rum will do. If you wouldn't drink it, don't use it, that includes isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
And EverClear is the champ! I used Bombay gin today. A bit of juniper can’t hurt.

Hmmm. Good to know. Mrs. Rookie will be pleased with the excuse to go to the liquor store.

So I picked up some new toys today. Nothing fancy, just some Ball jars to properly store my hoard (almost but not quite 10 oz.) and I remembered I have just about 2 ounces of black Cavendish. I'm not going to say that I regret buying it, but I don't at all care for the taste of it straight. So I guess my question is this.

If you had some bulk black cav sitting around, as well as some Stokkebye English luxury, a basic straight burley, Escudo, and Stokkebye LBF, what would you do to not waste the cav? But before you answer that, I'll be at a B&M store. So if there's something better than I have to mix it with, it's an option too. Thanks!

I think while I'm at the store, I'll pick up 6 ounces of LBF. I kinda like it, a vaper is a good thing to try and figure out. But I hear good things about cellaring them. So 3 oz for 6 Christmas or so, and 3 for the 4th of July, 2021. I kinda want to smoke what I have first before heading down this rabbit hole (which I recognize as my destination).

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Hmmm. Good to know. Mrs. Rookie will be pleased with the excuse to go to the liquor store.

So I picked up some new toys today. Nothing fancy, just some Ball jars to properly store my hoard (almost but not quite 10 oz.) and I remembered I have just about 2 ounces of black Cavendish. I'm not going to say that I regret buying it, but I don't at all care for the taste of it straight. So I guess my question is this.

If you had some bulk black cav sitting around, as well as some Stokkebye English luxury, a basic straight burley, Escudo, and Stokkebye LBF, what would you do to not waste the cav? But before you answer that, I'll be at a B&M store. So if there's something better than I have to mix it with, it's an option too. Thanks!

I think while I'm at the store, I'll pick up 6 ounces of LBF. I kinda like it, a vaper is a good thing to try and figure out. But I hear good things about cellaring them. So 3 oz for 6 Christmas or so, and 3 for the 4th of July, 2021. I kinda want to smoke what I have first before heading down this rabbit hole (which I recognize as my destination).

Well there's different types of black cavendish. Many english blenders use unsweetened black cavendish in english blends. It doesn't impart much sweetness, lowers the nicotine content of the blend, makes it smoke cooler, and can be added to just about anything without changing it too much if its used in small quantities. This type of cavendish is often made from Virginia tobaccos.

But I assume you're talking about the american stuff, which is sweetened, often vanilla flavored, and is made from burley. You can experiment. Add a pinch to a bowl of theh Stokkebye English Luxury. Try mixing 50:50 with straight burley, and then cut it back to the point that you like smoking it. I find something like 25% cavendish and 75% burley to be pretty enjoyable. I do that with lots of american aromatic tobaccos which can be overly topped and goopy. Cutting it with the burley really makes it smoke better.

Thank you! I really kinda wanted to mix it with the burley. Something about the nuttiness and vanilla triggered something chef-ish in me. Will adding it to the English cut or lighten some of the lat? I like the blend well enough, but a little too much lat for my taste right now.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thank you! I really kinda wanted to mix it with the burley. Something about the nuttiness and vanilla triggered something chef-ish in me. Will adding it to the English cut or lighten some of the lat? I like the blend well enough, but a little too much lat for my taste right now.

Yeah, adding it to an english will cut the lat. It'll also sweeten up the blend and change the flavor, which can be good or bad. You can also try cutting an english with burley. A burley based english is sometimes called an American English, and they can be quite excellent. So, play around, do it bowl-by-bowl so you're not making ounces and ounces of blends you don't like, and keep a journal if that helps. And when all else fails and you have tobacco you don't like, jar it up, tuck it into the back of your cellar, and pull it out down the road and see if your tastes have changed.

Top Bottom