What's new

Yaqi Adjustable Prototype

According to their latest newsletter, Yaqi is working on an adjustable! Should be interesting!

They put photos of a prototype in the newsletter.

1591616843862.png

Quite a bit of controversy this has gathered in the past few days. It seems that the design that Yaqi has shown above was an offshoot of the one that Heritageshavecollection was actually working on for the past few months. Don’t know all the complete details but, somehow whomever was setting things up for Heritage decided to take those ideas to Yaqi and here you have what Yaqi is working on, a replica of a replica of the Gibbs Reglable 15/17. Of course with the modification to accept all de blades and not just the proprietary Mince blades that the Gibbs adjustable required.

There is more info if one wants to see and read more of the details on social media sites....

Quite a bit of controversy this has gathered in the past few days. It seems that the design that Yaqi has shown above was an offshoot of the one that Heritageshavecollection was actually working on for the past few months. Don’t know all the complete details but, somehow whomever was setting things up for Heritage decided to take those ideas to Yaqi and here you have what Yaqi is working on, a replica of a replica of the Gibbs Reglable 15/17. Of course with the modification to accept all de blades and not just the proprietary Mince blades that the Gibbs adjustable required.

There is more info if one wants to see and read more of the details on social media sites....

Interesting! ‘..replica of a replica.’ :popc:

Still nice to have options.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

This looks like the Taiga from Russia.... and here we go: another copy of a copy..., but I don't see OC option. So more of a Gibs copy

I didn't know about the controversy, but I believe the Rockwell Model T has the same design - only machined from stainless steel, plagued by quality control problems, and costing US$150.

Yaqi has an expected price of AUD50 on their website - US$35. That sounds more like it!

R

romsitsa

My post was not in reference to razors made decades earlier that removed the base plate notch from the original Gibbs. Just in relation to these two companies, Heritage & Yaqi and on what has transpired between them and the desire to produce a near replica of a famed razor.

Respectfully,
GB

Just wanted to point out that whatever they call it, the Heritage one is a Palmera copy, not a Gibbs.

Adam

I didn't know about the controversy, but I believe the Rockwell Model T has the same design - only machined from stainless steel, plagued by quality control problems, and costing US$150.

Yaqi has an expected price of AUD50 on their website - US$35. That sounds more like it!

Well, not completely of stainless steel (SS, brass & Zamak)....

So it's pretty much not like the model T at all.

Agree that it's obviously a homage to the Gibbs (or Palmera).
it's EXACTLY like it....only different (something one of my older brothers used to say to me all the time. It enraged me as a 12 year old, but I like the humor now).

So from what I now understand, it appears the Palmera Adjustable (Which I saw for the first time a few days ago) like the Personna Micrometric were collaborations with Gibbs to allow standard blades in a traditional Gibbs. Each had two solutions along with the Micrometric having a slightly slimmer head.

So decades later, Heritage Collection Shaving design borrows heavily from Palmera’s mod it appears (I never asked him to be sure but looks similar).

So then Yaqi, whom was going to produce the razors for Heritage Collection Shaving decided, ok we will market that ourselves but put what looks like a modified R89/DE89 baseplate and top cap on top that allows for adjustment.

It’s cool to me if anyone wants to buy the Yaqi, but I’m still going to wait for Heritage Collection Shaving’s more Palmera inspired razor that was inspired by Gibbs anyway. HCS told me they have a new manufacturer if you want to wait with me.

Cheers!

Top Bottom