What's new

Who can name movies or TV shows that have shaving scenes.

Prince shaving before a concert early 80s era.....RIP
Screenshot_20200527-230124_YouTube.jpg

In Predator, the sergeant Mac pulls a disposable plastic razor across his cheek in what appears to be a habitual trait and he is so stressed that he presses hard on the razor and snaps it on his face.

Just watched a rerun of this, and checked to see if was already posted. Anyone ever hear of Hanks shave cream before?
No. I haven’t read all 254 pages of this thread but the “The 4 of Us are Dying” TZ episode starts out with a shaving scene. In “Dark Passage” with Bogart, I see an early post mentions it, but I thought it was a Schick injector.

Wonderful scene in "North By Northwest" with Cary Grant. He has to shave in the train station with a girly razor borrowed from Eva Marie Saint and gets funny looks from the macho man with the straight razor at the next sink. Even without that it's a top 10 picture so rent it already!
Yes! Check out my avatar.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
There's always that opening scene in "After the Thin Man" in which Nick Charles (William Powell) is shaving with a straight while aboard a moving train that's pulling into San Francisco.

His wife, Nora (Myrna Loy) blythely bumps into him and asks what he's doing. His answer? Something to the effect of "Just having a slice of throat, dear."

Classic. Sets the tone for the whole motion picture.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
In the "You're the best damn hitter I ever saw" scene of the baseball classic *The Natural,* Pop shaves with a straight while Red, his bench coach, uses what looks like a Gillette Black Beauty, which first appeared around 1968 or so. The film is set in 1939, however.

Almost a shaving scene at 3:45, but he just applies the lather with a brush.
The whole short film is worth watching.
Only Stan would go to another barber shop to get a shave when he co-owns his own with Ollie, lol!
Note that it is called a “Tonsorial Parlor” right after the credits.

Good hunting, we already have it but don't stop the hunts

• Twilight Zone(1960) CBS, s3/e1: Charles Bronson shaves with a straight in war torn Germany.
  • Todd & the Book of pure Evil: SYFY TV; s1/e10;Jason Mewes "Shaving" with a Straight [p134]
  • Twilight Zone (1960) CBS "the four of us are dying",s1/e13; Arch is shaving with DE--[p 39]
Just saw the Twilight Zone season 3 episode 1, "Two". Interesting they went with a straight, brush, and mug to accompany ray guns. Of course Bronson looked good using a straight. Elizabeth Montgomery(Bewitched) was the other actor in the episode.

In Predator, the sergeant Mac pulls a disposable plastic razor across his cheek in what appears to be a habitual trait and he is so stressed that he presses hard on the razor and snaps it on his face.

That scene has been burned into my memory since childhood. Bill Duke is one of the most intimidating human beings on the planet.

That scene has been burned into my memory since childhood. Bill Duke is one of the most intimidating human beings on the planet.

The first predator movie was an all time classic in the sci ci action genre.

It is also probably one of the first movies where Schwarzenegger played a tough guy persona who only survived by pure chance against a almost invincible adversary- usually his character is almost unbeatable in the movies thts he made during that period (eg commando).

Last edited:
A search didn't turn up this movie, so here goes...

I watched The Seventh Cross (1944) on TCM, today. It stars Spencer Tracy as a man who escapes from a concentration camp in Nazi Germany.

About halfway through the movie, there's a scene where Paul Roeder (played by Hume Cronyn) brings a message to Bruno Sauer (played by George Macready). Bruno is shaving with a straight and Paul's visit upsets him so much that he slices his cheek.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of the scene, but here's a screenshot showing Bruno shaving, plus a wide assortment of tonics and such on his vanity:

proxy.php

A search didn't turn up this movie, so here goes...

I watched The Seventh Cross (1944) on TCM, today. It stars Spencer Tracy as a man who escapes from a concentration camp in Nazi Germany.

About halfway through the movie, there's a scene where Paul Roeder (played by Hume Cronyn) brings a message to Bruno Sauer (played by George Macready). Bruno is shaving with a straight and Paul's visit upsets him so much that he slices his cheek.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of the scene, but here's a screenshot showing Bruno shaving, plus a wide assortment of tonics and such on his vanity:

proxy.php
I've never seen Hume Cronyn with other than white hair.

Geroge Macready either, but his near-profile on the left of the pic is quite distinctive.

In the new season of Babylon Berlin (great show on Netflix), the main character shaves with the scraggiest, baldiest excuse for a brush I’ve ever seen.

I just watched a 1967 documentary on TCM called "Titicut Follies" about a state-run mental hospital in Massachusetts. It is highly disturbing as you'll learn if you read the linked Wikipedia article.

So, for the purposes of this thread, I'll only describe the relevant scene: Guards lead a patient named Jim from his cell to a barbering station to be shaved. Jim is naked and his discomfort at being filmed is evident. He's lathered up and a guard rapidly shaves his face with what looks like an open-comb razor. The guard is shaving so haphazardly that Jim ends up bleeding quite badly. Then, his face is wiped with towels and he's led back to his cell where he acts out, most likely due to the inhuman treatment that he's just endured.

If you're curious to see this scene (or the entire film, for that matter), it's available on Vimeo (you'll probably see a message about privacy settings below; click through to the website and skip to the 25:30 mark):

I recommend watching the whole thing. As the film's tagline says "Don't Turn Your Back On This Film... If You Value Your Mind Or Your Life."

Top Bottom