What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: RR GC 84 JAWS / HD
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: Arko
Result: 9/10

It's funny how things change. Roughly 6 months ago, I judged the GSB way too sharp, using a less aggressive razor no less. Now that I have my lathering skills down and am using an efficient beast of a razor, the GSB is now not quite sharp enough! The Wilkinson Sword and Gillette Nacet are the sharpest blades I've used to date and they handle the tougher parts of my beard with no drama. The GSB requires me to go over the same tough spots a few times, resulting in only very minor redness during the shave (without any irritation), yet my goal is perfection so had to mention it.

The Arko was super slick using a very minimal amount focused on my chin and a small radius surrounding it. I had plenty of lather for 2 nice coats and touch-ups. 10 minutes later I didn't even feel like I just shaved. A few nice blasts of Guerlain Vetiver to my neck and out the door I went. Great shave day!

View attachment 1109502
I just picked up the JAWS 68 with the HS handle like yours. I'm really liking it for mowing down multiday stubble. I got it with a GC .84P head, which I'll try next.

Razor: Blackland Blackbird, 1st shave
Blade: Personna Lab Blue, 2nd shave
Soap: Shannon's Soaps Haymarket Vetiver. 1st lather
Brush: M&F Finest 2XL, lost count, it's a favorite.
AS: Alum, followed by Shannon's Soaps Haymarket Vetiver, 1st splash
Rating: 9 out of 10

Notes: A lot of firsts. Shannon's Soaps just rocks. Fantastic, easy to create, nourishing lather, great scent. The Blackbird is a terrific razor - it didn't take long to get the angle, and the alum block revealed two little stings. Very efficient, good blade feel, similar to my Windsor H. Wow. I was impressed with the products and results of this shave.

IMG_2012.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200605
20200605_142349~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock DLC Stainless Lupo
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M w/25mm Mühle STF Knot
Soap: Cella Bio
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (BBS except between my nose and upper lip) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Cella Bio is absolutely wonderful soap! The positive comments that @Marco has written about Cella Bio are very well deserved. Mounds of sumptuous, slick, yogurt consistency lather. Great face feel - during and post-shave. Cella Bio has definitely joined my regular soap rotation.

This was one of those shaves where everything came together beautifully, resulting in a close, comfortable, smooth, effortless and excellent shave!

A very pleasurable shave. :)

I just picked up the JAWS 68 with the HS handle like yours. I'm really liking it for mowing down multiday stubble. I got it with a GC .84P head, which I'll try next.

I'm glad you like your JAWS! I haven't used a non open-comb razor since 2019, and am not missing it one bit. There's more blade feel, but like you said, multiple days of growth just disappears with practically zero effort, especially with the perfect lather.

:D

Shave 20200605
View attachment 1109726
Razor: RazoRock DLC Stainless Lupo
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M w/25mm Mühle STF Knot
Soap: Cella Bio
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (BBS except between my nose and upper lip) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Cella Bio is absolutely wonderful soap! The positive comments tCan you tell hat @Marco has written about Cella Bio are very well deserved. Mounds of sumptuous, slick, yogurt consistency lather. Great face feel - during and post-shave. Cella Bio has definitely joined my regular soap rotation.

This was one of those shaves where everything came together beautifully, resulting in a close, comfortable, smooth, effortless and excellent shave!

A very pleasurable shave. :)
Can you tell me about that OSAGE RUB? I've been considering it

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Can you tell me about that OSAGE RUB? I've been considering it

The Clubman Osage Rub is "a brisk, refreshing menthol rub for the face and scalp. Reinvigorate the skin with a cool, tingling feeling."

That's the description from the Amazon ad where I buy mine. It's an accurate description of the skin feeling. The scent is refreshing and definitely menthol. :)

Topaz comments? I have a couple somewhere and 1940s SS. I’d like your thoughts on the blade so I can compare a shave.

Compared to the sputnik I've used over the last week and the four or five blades Ive used in somewhat recent memory including the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and black, Wilkinson Sword, Polsilver & Shark SS, the Topaz felt dull, tuggy, and demanding of caution. I stopped after one and a half passes because a couple of spots were already too exfoliated. That's not to say I couldnt get used to it, and I may yet give it a second chance in a 34c or one of my three pce shavers as I haven't actually tossed it in the bank. Curiousity may get the best of me on the morrow. Give it a try for yourself and let us know what you think. I'm sure some will or already do like it just fine. That's how these things go, ya ? YMMV....

Razor: Edwin Jagger 89 (3rd shave)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Vie-Long Horse Hair
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Rating: 7.9/10
  • My third shave with my EJDE89 and second 7.9 score in a row. I did a two pass shave (again), and the end result was not very smooth (again). The good news (again) is, no nicks!
  • I guess I need to work with the mechanics a little more. Maybe I need to apply more pressure. Maybe a different blade for this razor? Someone commented on my last EJ89 post that they were never able to get a close shave with this razor.
  • There are a few times when I am looking for a shave that is closer to a 5 o'clock (2 o'clock?) shadow, maybe I should save it for those occasions....

Last edited:
From this morning.
Razor: 1965 Schick Krona
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic - German (11)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender shave stick
Aftershave: Stirling Bergamot Lavender witch hazel and aloe
Rating: 10/10 - first time with Mike's shave stick and it performed fantastic.

8/5/10 - Near BBS. basically missed a spot on my chin otherwise excellent shave with outstanding post shave feel.
Razor: Rockwell 6S
Blade: Rapira platinum lux (2)
Brush: 24mm ApShaveCo 2bed syn w/summer handle
Pre-Shave: RR Lime pre-shave soap
Lather: Geo F Trumper Eucris soap
Aftershave: Nivea 2in1 AS
/ Geo F Trumper Eucris skin food
Additional Care: Thayers Lemon WH
IMG_20200604_134533.jpg

Compared to the sputnik I've used over the last week and the four or five blades Ive used in somewhat recent memory including the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and black, Wilkinson Sword, Polsilver & Shark SS, the Topaz felt dull, tuggy, and demanding of caution. I stopped after one and a half passes because a couple of spots were already too exfoliated. That's not to say I couldnt get used to it, and I may yet give it a second chance in a 34c or one of my three pce shavers as I haven't actually tossed it in the bank. Curiousity may get the best of me on the morrow. Give it a try for yourself and let us know what you think. I'm sure some will or already do like it just fine. That's how these things go, ya ? YMMV....
Thanks for your incite. I’ve noticed your previous wide selection of blades, so the one and done on the Topaz demanded further inquiry.

Daily Shave: 06 June 2020

DSCF2121.JPG

Razor
: Viking Chieftain
Prep: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Persona (# 1) 2 passes + minor buffing
Soap Proraso (Green + Red mixed) (distilled water)
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.9 / 10.0 BBS Fantastic shave! No stubble and smooth skin. My clean shaven face won't sting with sweat when I mow our backyard, and clean up 'doggie land mines' mid morning.

Razor: H2 Slim Adjustable
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (8)
Soap: VDH Deluxe
Brush: Surrey boar
Aftershave:Skin bracer
Shave rating: 10/10 BBS
I have had this slim for almost a year. Tried it several times in settings from 2-6 and could never get a decent shave. It got to the point that I took it off display and put it in a box. Just did not like it. I bought a Fatboy a couple nights ago that is still in transit. I have read where many say the Slim is preferred over the Fatboy and I started to wonder if the Fatboy would be the same as the Slim and not be a good shaver for me. Well, this morning I decided to try the Slim again since the Fatboy will be here soon. So I dialed it it up to a 7 and it was bliss with a three pass shave! Finally, got my setting!!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10 - New razor is...unbelievable...again!
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit cream (all I can say is WOW! Old school just hit a home run! Best performing soap I have hands down.)
Brush: Je&Co. Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor: Timeless scalloped .68 (if this keeps up I may not want to use my other razors.)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German) - day 2
AS: Black Ship Grooming Black Beard (lime-heavy Bay Rum - good match for the grapefruit)

My hope is that I never get used to this razor. Sweet!

Last edited:
Sat shave 1.jpg

Saturday’s Shave

Today I used my Timeless SS SB .68 razor that is loaded with a Personna Lab blade for the first shave with this combo. I really like this razor and blade combination. The soap is Grooming Department Asinus Soap. The brush is a Maggards 28 mm synthetic. The lather was rich and slick. I did my usual four-pass shave on my face and two-pass on my head. The aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH and Neutrogena Triple Protect. The fragrance was Jimmy Choo Man Intense. A perfect shave. 10/10.

Today I tried to replicate the experience I had Friday with my Red Tip, except this time with the Hoffritz Slant.

'70s Hoffritz Slant/new Personna Red blade

Hot face towel, bit of Trumper's Almond cream as a pre-shave

Stirling soap (not the Bay Rum, but the other)

APShaveCo synthetic brush

Clubman SR aftershave and Clubman powder

Verdict: Darn near a 10 and a BBS without irritation or nicks; 2 passes on cheeks and lower lip, 2 plus cleanup on the throat. This slant planes me off just about the closest of all my razors. Perhaps there will be a Fatip Slant in my future.

Top Bottom