What's new

Blackland Vector vs Sabre (looking for info on Sabre before buying)

Can folks who have used both give me a comparison on how the two compare with regards to shaving? I already have the Vector and am looking at getting the Sabre (both plates) but would appreciate some feedback before I bite the bullet.

- How different is the shave technique? Since both are SE's, is it pretty close?
- Compare closeness of shave and efficiency between the two razors?

Also, is the limited blade selection a concern?

I recently switched from my Merkur 34C to using the ATT SE and Blackland Vector. I love the two SE's and even though I also bought a Rockwell 6S DE around the same time, I do not feel like the shave(s) I get from it are close to the level of the SE's.

Thanks.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Can I give you a partial answer? My partial answer is because I'm dithering over a Sabre myself, don't own a Vector, but have the ATT SE 1 and SE2 as well as ATT G1 with both plates and my own performance mods. Oh, and YMMV.

I found the ATT SE razors to be somewhat above midpoint in blade feel. The Windsor SE1 a bit less than the regular SE1, IMHO. As a classic Gem and Ever-Ready shaver as well, I find the Gem uses a pretty narrow angle blade-to-face though Ever-Ready seems to like a slightly wider blade-to-face angle. I note that I tend to get five pretty good shaves out of a standard Personna PTFE Stainless Gem blade with a couple edgy ones on the front end (I neither cork nor strop) and a fairly quick roll-off in efficiency on the back end. Maybe 10 shaves total, with the last one or two being an exercise in patience.

With AC blades I'm looking at around 10 good shaves, again with a little care needed at first and a bit of patience later for a total around 15 shaves. Depending on cost paid that's either close to break-even or a little in favour of the AC blades.

I teetered on the edge of the rabbit hole of modern Gem (which I refer to as "Gem-ish") because I liked Gem just slightly better than AC. I have the ATT G1, which is sadly no longer made. I hope Matt brings something like it back some day, although I'd like to see an OC option if so. I deeply scalloped the safety bar on mine and it improved my shave. Next I'll relieve a little of the lip thickness on the cap to widen the sweet spot a little. I also have PAA's Starling V2 which for me is "meh" with the SB plate but "yowza!" with the OC (and a heavier handle).

Because I'm still a Gem-ish fan I'll probably drop a bag of nickels on the Sabre. Partially to reward a maker for putting out a Gem-style razor when every man jack in the business seems to make only AC razors. Nothing against AC; getting some fantastic shaves out of RazoRock Hawk V3SB and V3OC at the moment...

Wordy answer, but still partial. [grin]

O.H.

Can I give you a partial answer? My partial answer is because I'm dithering over a Sabre myself, don't own a Vector, but have the ATT SE 1 and SE2 as well as ATT G1 with both plates and my own performance mods. Oh, and YMMV.

I found the ATT SE razors to be somewhat above midpoint in blade feel. The Windsor SE1 a bit less than the regular SE1, IMHO. As a classic Gem and Ever-Ready shaver as well, I find the Gem uses a pretty narrow angle blade-to-face though Ever-Ready seems to like a slightly wider blade-to-face angle. I note that I tend to get five pretty good shaves out of a standard Personna PTFE Stainless Gem blade with a couple edgy ones on the front end (I neither cork nor strop) and a fairly quick roll-off in efficiency on the back end. Maybe 10 shaves total, with the last one or two being an exercise in patience.

With AC blades I'm looking at around 10 good shaves, again with a little care needed at first and a bit of patience later for a total around 15 shaves. Depending on cost paid that's either close to break-even or a little in favour of the AC blades.

I teetered on the edge of the rabbit hole of modern Gem (which I refer to as "Gem-ish") because I liked Gem just slightly better than AC. I have the ATT G1, which is sadly no longer made. I hope Matt brings something like it back some day, although I'd like to see an OC option if so. I deeply scalloped the safety bar on mine and it improved my shave. Next I'll relieve a little of the lip thickness on the cap to widen the sweet spot a little. I also have PAA's Starling V2 which for me is "meh" with the SB plate but "yowza!" with the OC (and a heavier handle).

Because I'm still a Gem-ish fan I'll probably drop a bag of nickels on the Sabre. Partially to reward a maker for putting out a Gem-style razor when every man jack in the business seems to make only AC razors. Nothing against AC; getting some fantastic shaves out of RazoRock Hawk V3SB and V3OC at the moment...

Wordy answer, but still partial. [grin]

O.H.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

I have the ATT SE1 and Vector both and really enjoy them. I bought a Rockwell 6S around the same time and have been rotating mainly between the SE1 and Vector because the shaves from the Rockwell have just not been that efficient and close for me. Both the SE1 and Vector are really good razors and are there to stay for me.

I have never owned a GEM before. Since I just ordered the Sabre, it will be my first GEM and am really curious to see how it compares to the Vector. I am not going to cork or strop the blade either. I have heard and seen some posts mentioning that and glanced at the process but really not interested in doing that. My hope is simple to get 5 or so shaves from each blade. Whether that is an AC blade or GEM blade. I have tried the Feather Pro AC, Schick Proline and Kai Titan Mild so far and all 3 easily last 5+ shaves for me. I have very coarse hair and that may be something to do with it. I know the DE blades generally don't work that well for me past the first 2 shaves.

If I can get the same level of shave from the Sabre as I do from the Vector and SE1, I will be thrilled. I am definitely partial to SE (AC) razors since I started using them a few months back and will probably never go back to DE's. That was one of the main reasons I was interested in trying the Sabre. Wanted to experiment with another SE razor which uses different blades (GEM).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have the Sabre and love the shaves I get from it. One of my favorite GEM blade razors.

The Vector is coming my way for Father's Day. I hope it lives up to the high standard set by the Sabre.

IIRC, @Steinmetzify has both the Sabre and the Vector.

I have owned the Vector and the Sabre. The Vector was a good shave but I did not like the handle (too dainty) and I did not want to invest in a new handle that was for a razor that cost almost $200. I did not like the Sabre, too aggressive for me or poor technique on my part.

I now have a Colonial General which is as good as the Vector. The General will sell you just the cap and base and you add your preferred handle. This handle is a Tibam.

IMG_0343.jpg

I have owned the Vector and the Sabre. The Vector was a good shave but I did not like the handle (too dainty) and I did not want to invest in a new handle that was for a razor that cost almost $200. I did not like the Sabre, too aggressive for me or poor technique on my part.

I now have a Colonial General which is as good as the Vector. The General will sell you just the cap and base and you add your preferred handle. This handle is a Tibam.

View attachment 1107631
I was actually seriously looking at the General V2 to add to my collection. But with the ATT SE1/SE2 and Blackland Vector already in my bag I figured that I might as well go for a GEM style razor, which I do not have any of.

Love both the Sabre and vector. I find them both very smooth and efficient enough. The general looks like a great razor, but I haven't used one.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1107631
I was actually seriously looking at the General V2 to add to my collection. But with the ATT SE1/SE2 and Blackland Vector already in my bag I figured that I might as well go for a GEM style razor, which I do not have any of.

The General is an excellent razor. I am looking forward to getting my new Vector so I can compare the two. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Today's Shave with the Blackland Sabre:
20200602_101323~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers, 24mm Maggard SHD Knot
Soap: Zingari Man, 'The Wanderer'
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger
Cologne: Classic Match Homme Eau de Toilette Spray (Belcam version of L'Homme)

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (really close to BBS) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Incredible Soap + Incredible Razor = Incredible Shave. It sure is fun when all the components of the shave come together. :)

Today's Shave with the Blackland Sabre:
View attachment 1108348
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers, 24mm Maggard SHD Knot
Soap: Zingari Man, 'The Wanderer'
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger
Cologne: Classic Match Homme Eau de Toilette Spray (Belcam version of L'Homme)

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ (really close to BBS) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Incredible Soap + Incredible Razor = Incredible Shave. It sure is fun when all the components of the shave come together. :)

My Sabre is supposed to be here Thursday so the Friday shave will be with it. Going in with muted expectations though because it would be my 1st use with any GEM Razor. And the Vector has set the bar pretty high.

Change in plan. If the USPS tracking is right, I should get my Sabre tonight. Since I shave once every 2 days (normally), I skipped today and will use the Sabre tomorrow. Ha ha.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A package from Blackland Razors arrived today. :)

My Bride intercepted, reminding me that it's my Father's Day present. :)

Patience will have to be my Mantra until June 21st. :w00t:

Top Bottom